1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Thirsty??

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by DCBman, May 5, 2017.

1. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

Aside from being critically important for human survival, I don't like to be thirsty. In fact, it makes me crazy to be thirsty. I've touched on this theme a number of times in other posts, but I wanted to dedicate post to water carriage. One of my biggest complaints about most 'bags' is their complete failure to account for ways to carry water. That, or to make some feeble attempt at someplace to carry water which is so small it's unusable. It's like they don't want to mess up their pretty pack lines with a water bottle pocket or something...I don't know. What I do know though is...this is the #1 factor which will keep me from giving them my money! (HELLO, manufacturers...you listening???). This brings me to another subject concerning water, and I'm going to cut right to the chase...

"My favorite kind of water to drink is scummy pond water. In fact, I'll pay top dollar to drink the nastiest, scummiest, most contaminated, germ infested, foul tasting water imaginable. Just love, love, LOVE the stuff! And, if you can heat this water up to about the same temperature as my body it's even better! Yummy, nasty, awful tasting, putrid 98.6 degree water...it's the BEST!"

Does the above statement sound like you? Of course not!! Okay then, I have one simple question...

Why on Earth would you EVER want to drink water out of a water bladder???? Because this is exactly what you're getting with a water bladder...filthy, nasty, hot, pond water. I am far from a germ-o-phobe, clean-freak, but wow, I can't hardly imagine a more unsanitary, disgusting, way to transport and consume water!

There, I said it (finally)

What do you think?

Last edited by DCBman, May 5, 2017
    #1 DCBman, May 5, 2017
    Last edited: May 5, 2017
  2. Dingle1911

Dingle1911 Loaded Pockets

So how do you choose to carry your water? Disposable bottles, Nalgene, Stainless steel bottle, titanium bottle?

I personally like Nalgene bottles when camping or hiking.

3. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

I throw a Nalgene into my bag more often than not. When I was carrying a tacticool bag I used a Maxped mini rolly poly, which was designed to accommodate a one liter Nalgene bottle, but now I don't bother with dedicated pouches.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

4. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

Is the OP serious about water bladders being compared to pond scum? Maybe he uses iodine when he refills an unwashed bottle throughout the day.

My preferred daily is a Tervis bottle.

5. soulknight

soulknight Loaded Pockets

I've found if you clean your bladders after each use they don't grow pond scum. It's not difficult. I also wash my Nalgene bottle at the end of every day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

garza likes this.
  6. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

3 liter platypus frozen about an 1/4 of the way the night before. Nothing ever taste so good in the middle of nowhere.
    I don't see any difference in cleaning a Nalgene bottle. I'm not OCD.

kikaida and 16VGTIDave like this.
  7. Ethos
    • +1 Supporter

Ethos Loaded Pockets

I like nalgene just fine, but have 3 1 liter platypus' I use. No more hard to clean than a nalgene, and no temperature difference. Best thing about platypus is, when you're done it takes up less room. In fact in one bag I have a new empty one in case I need to carry water from wherever I am.

I just bought a military shaped nalgene canteen.

8. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Loaded Pockets

I don't know about other brands but Camelbak has an antimicrobial coating in their bladders. I've left water in bladders for weeks and don't see or taste a difference.

As far as temp goes, I either freeze the bladder half full and then top off or fill half full with ice cubes. Keeps the water cool for hours.

Chad

Moshe ben David likes this.
  9. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

I tend to use nalgenes or the smart water (squeeze top), they are convenient for 1 handed opening and closing. Nalgenes not so convenient.

10. volvoboy

volvoboy Loaded Pockets

For everyday use I bring along a S'well bottle (I received a couple as gifts). I make tea to take in the morning and when I'm done with the tea I rinse it out and fill it with water at one of our bottle water fountains. I like it--relatively light weight, attractive, and it fits nicely in an office environment. I like it. Not your survival type bottle though.

11. demPho

demPho Loaded Pockets

Hydroflask for any purpose requiring use of a bottle. Sport top for one handed needs. Regular top otherwise. 80% water usage, 20% sweet tea. Yeti 32oz with cold water out of the "truck bed fridge." CamelBak MULE when on the mountain bike. Disclaimer: All equipment washed thoroughly after each use.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

12. Radioactive_Man

Radioactive_Man Loaded Pockets

I had to use camelbak throughout BCT/AIT. The water gets warm quickly, the plastic tastes gross, and it was hard to clean. But when you're really thirsty even pond scum water goes down easy.

Nowadays I pretty much only use insulated stainless steel canteens- Hydroflask in particular but I'm sure the other brands are just as good. You can't beat having nice cool water on hand throughout the day, and the stainless doesn't leave a weird taste. 18oz for normal days, 32oz for field. I just use a carabiner to clip it to the outside of my pack and use the compression strap to keep it in place.

13. Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock Loaded Pockets

I suppose water bladders have some great points in their favor but I only have one and so far haven't used it. I don't trust them as much as bottles- the seem to have a track record of leaking and bursting more than Nalgenes. Like the OP I don't like to be thirsty! Any pack I get must have a bottle carrier (unless it's a tiny pack obviously). For day hikes I build my kit around bottle carriers from Maxpedition and Preparedness Outfitters. There's space for a 1.5 L Nalgene along with some survival and bushcrafting gear.