1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Thinking of getting a G-Shock

Discussion in 'Watches' started by downtown, Dec 30, 2016.

1. downtown
    • +1 Supporter

downtown Loaded Pockets

I have been wearing Ironmans since the 90's. Thought I would get something a little different and try a G-Shock. I know nothing about the history and reliability of these so I thought the best advice can be found here. I have really been looking at the Mudman G9000-1V. It appears to be the one that should fit my needs. Is this a reliable watch? Are there any others I should consider? I want all digital, no hands. I kinda like the medium size of this one too. All input welcome and thanks in advance.

2. Howler4

Howler4 Loaded Pockets

Well, what are your needs?

There are a lot of good options so it depends on what you want and what you will use it for.

I have 3 G shocks and I wear them all for different purposes.

My GA-1000-2B serves a different function than my DW-5600E and my DW6900-1MS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Cristobal

Cristobal Loaded Pockets

The Mudman is a great watch, IIRC it was even issued in the Australian army. However, it would best if you could try the watch in a shop, there are some bumps on the caseback that might need some time to get used to:

[​IMG]

Image found on the internet

I had the atomic solar version and it fit perfectly on my 17.5cm/7in wrist.

In my opinion the square G's are more versatile (dw-5600 and the like)

Moshe ben David likes this.
  4. downtown
    • +1 Supporter

downtown Loaded Pockets

I want a stopwatch, timer, at least 3 alarms, time zones, and to be tough. I don't need compass and stuff like that for this one. This one is sold locally and I have tried it on and checked it out. The buttons are hard to press but I assume that is from it being "mud" resistant.

5. Cristobal

Cristobal Loaded Pockets

Most of the G-Shocks have 5 daily alarms (1 snooze), stopwatch, timer, timezone functions and are tough.

If you like the Mudman, go for it. The buttons will soften with time.

6. downtown
    • +1 Supporter

downtown Loaded Pockets

I was reading on the G-Shock website where it says to buy only from authorized Casio G Shock sellers. On the list of those it doesn't have Walmart on there and they are the only place in town here that has this watch . Is it OK to buy a G Shock from them? I just don't want to get a bad one or a factory second. Thanks.

7. Barbourman04

Barbourman04 Loaded Pockets

I've gotten mine all from amazon. I'm sure walmart is fine. I'm impressed that they have a gshock of that grade. All I've ever seen are the bottom end g shocks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

8. downtown
    • +1 Supporter

downtown Loaded Pockets

Yeah I was glad they had the G9000-1V. I was able to try it on and see how it feels with those bumps on the bottom that I have been warned about. I really didn't notice them that much. They have it for $75 at the store but you can get it for $62 on Walmart.com and free shipping. Sounds like I'm set on this one!

9. downtown
    • +1 Supporter

downtown Loaded Pockets

Well after further research I finally decided to go with a GW6900. I love it so far. I replaced the band with one from a GW5000 and it feels a whole lot better. Now to figure out what to get next!
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

#9 downtown, Jan 18, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2017 at 7:27 AM
  10. stockae92

stockae92 Loaded Pockets

thats awesome, welcome to the club. I like Gw6900 because the numbers seems a little bold(ed) and you can switch the date / day to GMT time and use the watch as GMT watch. :)

[​IMG]

downtown likes this.