1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Thinking about getting the MR 3DAP

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by plague112, Mar 22, 2016.

1. plague112

plague112 Loaded Pockets

Been eyeing that Mystery Ranch 3 Day Assault pack for a little.

i love the design ever since i saw it, only concerning thing to me is its more then I've ever spent on a bag. Just looking to get feed back from people who have it, any concerns or what have you.

Or anyone suggest something else for the same price point?

my intended use is for edc, camping, hiking. My current pack is an Osprey Talon 33L. Kinda want something with more organization and ease of access.

2. CBisch

CBisch Loaded Pockets

I have a Sweetpea and a Dragonslayer, which are both similar to the 3dap. Both are GREAT hiking bags. I use the Sweetpea for hikes and day trips, and the Dragonslayer is my search pack. The Tri-Zip just makes it so easy to rip open, and its nice being able to top load it, or unzip the center zip and have complete access to everything in the bag. Unfortunately they've discontinued both of them for the time being. What are you planning to carry with your new pack? The 3dap is a great option but it might be a little large for edc, its really ideal for day hikes and lightweight overnighters. I was able to stuff my dragonslayer with everything I put in my 72 hour pack minus the bear can (keep in mind the dragonslayer is 37l vs 33l of the 3dap) It'll be stuffed to the gills but you can do it. You can also check out their new packs in the mountain or hunting line. The Scree or Scapegoat look like they might do what you want.
    Kelty makes some nice packs at great price points, I would recommend checking them out. REI also makes some decent packs, I have an older generation 30L traverse that I love, and its great for travelling and day trips. You could also check out Kifaru, Triple Aught Designs, Vanquest, Camelbak or Direct Action but I don't have any experience with any of those brands.

3. plague112

plague112 Loaded Pockets

Now that you mention it it does look to be a little bit large for an edc, I wish I never saw the mystery ranch bags. Lol. I'm hooked. I have plenty of other bags which are ok, still haven't found the one that fits me and mystery ranch is a bag type I haven't seen or tried yet. I'll definitely look into the others they have to offer!

Dull edge

4. Roguetrooper

Roguetrooper Loaded Pockets

i had one but flipped it - As someone else commented, it was just a touch too big for general EDC applications - Perfect for hiking though. The ASAP or 1DAP are perfect for EDC usge though.

5. djren12

djren12 Loaded Pockets

I EDC the 3dap and its fine for me. If you carry a bunch of little items then yeah a light speed or 1dap is better.

6. Caleb

Caleb Loaded Pockets

I've had one for about 4 years and it's still one of my favorite packs. Many disagree, but I don't think that it lends itself well for casual EDC. I just find it a little too technical. I also think the tri-zip is better suited for outdoor or field use rather than frequently getting in and out of for snacks, water, computers, phones, etc. Even though it is one of Mystery Ranch's "lesser" load bearing packs, it is still a load bearing pack meant for serious use...in my opinion. I have literally thousands of miles on mine. Lots of wilderness hiking, hunting and mountain climbing. The black paint has worn from the zipper sliders and they are all a nice bronze color now and the whole pack has a nice patina. I've since dusted it with spray paint so that it's not such a black dot in the wilderness for deer hunting so that helps the patina a little. As far as the price, I wouldn't hesitate for a second. All of my MR gear gets used to it's capacity and has held up wonderfully.

7. Cpl Ledanek

Cpl Ledanek Loaded Pockets

I'm just going to throw this experience just in case the next guy/gal comes along and looking for some review/ experience with MR 3DAP.

In Chicago, specially Spring, weather is very unpredictable. It's rain, snow, and get super sunny in one day. I carry my rain gear, midlayers, extra socks, shirt, and underwear. Then I carry 2 liters of water, Dr's order due to repeat kidney stones x6 now. Since 3DAP doesn't have internal organizer I added a TT Admin pouch for pens, micro USB cables, external battery pack, etc....still trying to figure out how to attach this to the inside top flap vs on the radio MOLLE...for now it stays outside.

[​IMG]

Last week, 2 kids 4 adults later, we did a trip to Alaska...on and off the cruise, carrying water enough for all, cereal snacks and protein bars, mid layers for 4 adults via ziplock bags compress the air out), hats and gloves for the kids, wipes, etc. 3DAP swallowed all that without any problem. Inside the plane, I carried just essentials mid layers and cinched the the two straps and the bag easily fit under the seat.
    Inside those Gray Tour Bus, it fits fine in the overhead compartment.

Expectations met and exceeded with this bag...same pic from EDC Bag thread
    [​IMG]

CBisch and plague112 like this.
  8. Avenal

Avenal Loaded Pockets

I love mine!
    [​IMG]

CBisch, RED-FIVE and plague112 like this.
  9. plague112

plague112 Loaded Pockets

:censored: seeing these makes me want to get it more. :)

Dull edge

10. Playmaker55

Playmaker55 Loaded Pockets

I've got one, great for its intended purpose of assault pack carrying 30lbs. I would maybe want something a little bigger if I was going to be camping overnight with it. It will comfortably carry up to 45 lbs if that's a concern.

11. marcbme

marcbme Loaded Pockets

Spent 6 months researching bags, finally pulled the trigger on a 3dap. Like you I balked on the price, but I've carried mine every day for almost two years now (plus countless trips to wildfire camps, fly fishing, a family trip to DC, and just got back from Hawaii with it) and it still looks brand new. It is THE primere bag in my opinion

hartman, CBisch and plague112 like this.
  12. Cpl Ledanek

Cpl Ledanek Loaded Pockets

where is this heaven please?

13. Avenal

Avenal Loaded Pockets

Moro Rock @ Sequoia Natl Park in CA. It's an awesome getaway!

Cpl Ledanek likes this.
  14. Loc-Nar

Loc-Nar Loaded Pockets

As the owner of an ASAP, I can relate on the steep price. However the quality of Mystery Ranch packs is undeniably awesome. Their customer service is also amazing. When I initially placed my order for the pack, they took the initiative to call me personally on several instances to resolve issues with my order to ensure everything was correct. I carry my ASAP everyday, and fits my needs perfectly, I contemplated getting the 3dap, but chose the ASAP due to size, and have zero regrets. You won't be disappointed if you decide to purchase one.

"Cooler than a cucumber in a bowl of hot sauce."

CBisch and plague112 like this.
  15. Loc-Nar

Loc-Nar Loaded Pockets

Just do it. Peer pressure, peer pressure, peer pressure, peer pressure...

"Cooler than a cucumber in a bowl of hot sauce."