1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Thinking about getting my first rifle

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by Iragon, Apr 29, 2014.

1. MTFatboy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

MTFatboy Loaded Pockets

I've heard fantastic things about the Ruger American, but a decent scope and enough ammo to get it zeroed will easily tack another 100+ on the price tag. I would really consider a Nagant (or a surplus Mauser) for now, and wait until you have more income to set up a good aught six or .308. There are online gun sellers, and there are probably FFL holders in your area who would do a transfer for one of them. I recently bought my P938 from Bud's Online. They have lists of FFL holders they have done business with; chances are there are some in your area. They stock Mosin Nagants, and sometimes they have Carbines in stock for prices I haven't been able to match locally. If you aren't experienced with high-powered rifles, though, I do recommend you find someone who can give you some training when you first go out to shoot. None of the options you are looking at, though, will leave you unhappy--just not yet satisfied ;) Good Luck with the search! I'm sure we'd all love to see what you pick up.

FL Woods Bum likes this.
  2. MTFatboy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

MTFatboy Loaded Pockets

The latter part of this is absolutely true; but I would not agree that it pushed the aught six into obsolescence :rolleyes:. Factory '06 ammo is still often cheaper than .308, there is a far greater variety of factory loads available, and reloads for the '06 can make good use of the extra case capacity. The .308 is a superb cartridge, and the most efficient high powered rifle cartridge, foot pound for cartridge capacity, you can find, But the '06 offers wider ranges of cost and performance.

FL Woods Bum likes this.
  3. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

So, assuming you are going to go with .308 given the models you mentioned here are the price points and some comments:

Savage Axis .308 ($289ish with scope and scope rings)
    • I have shot this model and caliber rifle on more than one occasion right after they first came out. I wasn't very impressed, but it will definitely do the job you are asking for. There are very few commercial accessories for this action though, with Boyd being the one group that I know how makes replacement stocks (which you will want).
    Ruger American .308 ($299ish with scope rings, no scope)
    • I have shot this model in both .223 and .308. This is a great bargain priced gun from Ruger and it's well made. It's got a much better stock than the Axis, but you will have to buy a scope. While not a top notch gun, it's a decent rifle which will handle the job you are asking for.
    Stevens Model 200 .308 ($340ish, no scope, no scope rings)
    • I owned one of these for some time and only sold it to pickup an action for a custom rifle I am slowly working on (when time and funds present themselves). This rifle is a hidden gem as it is based on a Savage Model 10 action, albeit without the Accu-Trigger (one reason why it's cheaper). A lot of folks who want to build custom rifles based on the Savage Model 10 action will actually buy a Savage 200 to use the action given the price difference. This is a solid gun that will take almost any Savage Model 10 accessory on the market (look around, there are quite a few). You will need to pick up a scope for it, but it's worth the extra money. The stock will definitely get you by until you can afford to upgrade.
    Just some thoughts...

4. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

Agreed.. Should it have pushed the .30-06 into the history books? Probably, but it certainly hasn't. I know more guys hunting with .30-06 still than any other caliber. With that said, I don't know that everyone uses the term "outdated" the way I do. So while the .30-06 can definitely be considered outdated "technology-wise" compared to the .308, I think that's one of those technical observations that shooters don't seem to agree with given their buying and shooting habits.

5. Darth_Firebolt

Darth_Firebolt Loaded Pockets

came here to suggest a mosin. good to know the forum has my back on that.

FL Woods Bum likes this.
  6. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

Definitely!! It would be a great starter rifle for sure and one you keep in the cabinet because it's just so cheap to shoot (and fun). ;)

7. hunter s gatherer
    • In Omnia Paratus

hunter s gatherer EDC Junkie!!!

Classic Firearms has Nagants for $125, catch is you have buy a case of 20 @ 2500. Groupon anyone?

8. Iragon

Iragon Loaded Pockets

Ok, so now I think the choices are narrow down to .22 or Mosin, just went to Wal-Mart saw a Ruger 10/22 for 257. 06 and 308 might be better to wait till I got more money then get a better rifle.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

FL Woods Bum and LivingUpNorth like this.
  9. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

Not trying to stir the pot ... BUT ... ;)

Ruger 10/22 for $257 with no ammo ....

or

Mosin and 440 rnds of ammo for $250ish ....

FFL Dealers near you (based on your profile here) who accept shipments from Budsgunshop as mentioned by @MtFatBoy earlier

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

LivingUpNorth and MTFatboy like this.
  10. SpyderPrepper

SpyderPrepper Loaded Pockets

Some good suggestions here OP.

Some comments on the axis. I own an Axis in 30-06 and it works just fine for hunting. Woods is definitely right though, It's a cheap gun but shoots accurately. Plus, savage is releasing (released?) the Axis 2 which now comes with their accutrigger. This actually fixes my biggest complaint with the Axis, the horrible trigger it comes with.

OP, I'm pretty sure Savage makes a package model of their 110/111 series which are an upgrade from the axis for not much more money.

FL Woods Bum likes this.
  11. GQP

GQP Loaded Pockets

If you get one, you will probably get most (or all) of the rest.

If I had to pick one on your list today, I would pick up a cheap Mosin and a can or two of ammo. Type 53 carbines seem to be the cheapest right now, but I has a bit more kick than the more popular full size 91/30. I can shoot a 91/30 all day, but I can get tired after a short period with the carbines. You can put recoil pads on them (but I dont).

54r Surplus (and corrosive) is the closest thing to a plinking round we have right now till .22 gets back on the shelf. It could be another year or two before its availability is back to the way it was pre-freakout. You're still looking at 20 cents a round, but that is a ways off from 60 cents for 308.

Down side is you are generally limited to the Mosin Nagant. You can get a Dragunov-type or Vepr rifle, but they cost a lot more. I love the Mosin, but it is a rifle that got its birth in the 1890s! Most 91/30s I see were made during WW2. You can add many awesome aftermarket options to bring it into this century, but usually at a cost that would have put you into a modern rifle in the first place (still cool though).

Not on your list, but my recommendation if you want to plink with something that is not an antique, inexpensive and ammo doesn't have to come from a scalper, then pickup a bolt-action in 223/556. Its a great plinking round, currently abundant and just a couple of cents more than it was pre-freakout (around 26 cents a round). Bonus points for being a backup for that AR-15 you will buy in the future (and you will). As for hunting, my best friends daughter brought in her first deer last year with a Savage Axis in 223.

12. MTFatboy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

MTFatboy Loaded Pockets

This is a good point too. I am considering a Ruger American in .223 for my daughter's first rifle ....