1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Thinking about getting my first Benchmade.

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Pine Box Parkinson, Jun 20, 2013.

1. To Meso

To Meso Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

2. billybatson

billybatson Loaded Pockets

I just got my first benchmade a couple days ago. The mini grip 555hg with blue scales. I really like it so far. It came hair shaving sharp! I had heard some complaints abut people getting theirs and they weren't very sharp, but mine is awesome. I got it from cutlery shoppe for 63.75 shipped with a coupe of coupon codes. For free shipping use "nutnfancy" and they give an extra 25% off with "bm25". Either way good luck on finding what you are looking for!

GG_Blaisdell likes this.
  3. CSG

CSG Loaded Pockets

The Mini-Grip is a terrific example of a Benchmade. I carry one daily.

While I use a Sharpmaker, I absolutely hate the look of most of their knives and I hate thumbholes.

4. ArnieJB

ArnieJB EDC Junkie!!!

The 555HG Mini Grip is a fine example of a Benchmade for an EDC. Personally speaking, I would take it hands down over a Spyderco Delica. I was very disappointed with that knife as I had one, but donated it in the latest EDCF give-away. The Mini Grip is very smooth opening and closing thanks to the Axis lock and is my current EDC. The Mini Bone Collector is a nice knife as well, but it is a little heavy and the aggressive texturing on the handle scales and the way it interacts with the pocket clip makes it a little difficult to get it in and out of the pocket. For the slim factor, the 707 Sequel is amazing and has THE smoothest action of any knife that I own. It disappears in the pocket and you never notice it's presence.

billybatson likes this.
  5. mlehto

mlehto Loaded Pockets

Curious to know what about the Delica you didnt like? You mention the smoothness of the Mini Grip and I agree it is definitely smoother with the axis vs the back lock on the Delica. For me the axis is awkward in its own way though. Strange to release and close.

The steel is a big factor for me and the VG10 takes a scary sharp edge in a shhort time and although the 154 cm may hold an edge a little longer for a small edc the vg10 seems the best compromise of characteristics. Easy to get scary sharp, holds a good edge, rolls instead of chipping, and has great rust resistence.

6. ArnieJB

ArnieJB EDC Junkie!!!

For me the Delica was too hard to open and close. You need two hands to close it with the back lock. I like being able to pull back on the Axis lock and flick the blade back into the handle with one hand. Also, I don't care for the blade to handle ratio, or the FRN on the Spyderco. The VG10 is good, but the cutting edge is not very long. I don't wear my blades down that fast and rarely sharpen it, so the 154CM is just fine. I gave away or sold my other Spydercos with the exception of my Paramilitary 2 which is a fantastic knife and one that I won't part with. :)

7. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

If you don't own an Axis lock you owe it to yourself to try one. Beats any other locking mechanism. As far as which to choose, that's largely personal preference as to size and style. Personally, I don't like the feel of FRN scales (BM or Spyderco), but a lot of people don't mind them. If you want something that will absolutely disappear in your pocket, there's nothing on the market that can compete with the 530, but there are more substantial options. I also like how BM knives feel more long and skinny, whereas Spydercos seem more short and stubby, but that's personal preference as well. My favorite is the 710, which exceeds your budget, but I've been carrying it for 13 years, so I definitely feel I got my money's worth. The 94X is a great option too, and you'll continue to love the knife long after you've forgotten about the extra cost.

8. DaKine234

DaKine234 Loaded Pockets

Another +1 for the mini grip, iʻve had mine for over 7 years (old style with the oval thumb hole) and absolutely love it. I got it and have carried it thru a lot of camps and outings as a boy scout and now as an asst. scoutmaster, and it has held its own to all kinds of use and abuse. Benchmade quality is awesome, tried and true, however the scales (imo) do feel a little plasticy, but thats definitely not a deal breaker in any way. Btw iʻve got a mini-barrage that ive carried literally twice if your interested jus been sitting and would be willing to give you a good price since its not getting the use it should (not sure if its ok to advertise here or not, if not iʻll take this off), send me a message if your interested.

Last edited by DaKine234, Jun 22, 2013
  9. ArnieJB

ArnieJB EDC Junkie!!!

Also, you can always get custom replacement scales if you decide you want something different like these G10 scales that I just picked up.

[​IMG]

10. DaKine234

DaKine234 Loaded Pockets

Very nice! Could you give me a link to where you got these and the price (if you dont mind)?
    Mahalo!

11. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

The aftermarket customization options for the Grips are just amazing, with all different kinds of scale options. I don't know of any other knife model with so many aftermarket options. Of course, doing so brings you up to the price point of the more expensive BMs.

12. ArnieJB

ArnieJB EDC Junkie!!!

About $100.00 and they were made by our own EDCF friend Keyman. Flawless workmanship! He has many options and materials.

13. Rogerschrisj

Rogerschrisj Loaded Pockets

My favorite Benchmade for $100.00 or less is hands down the 530 Mel Pardue in plain edge. It's very light, very thin, extremely fast and strong too. I just love it. And it fits the bill quite well for a knife that is large enough to use for most tasks but small enough to Edc in almost any situation.

MedusaOblongata likes this.
  14. Segarshm
    • In Omnia Paratus

Segarshm Loaded Pockets

I carried a full size grip for a couple years, I beat it like it stole something and came out smiling! very tuff knife.

15. bitonebit

bitonebit Loaded Pockets

16. bitonebit

bitonebit Loaded Pockets

Dammit wrong thread! Too many tabs open. I guess that pic still applies.....

17. fresh eddie fresh
    • In Omnia Paratus

fresh eddie fresh Loaded Pockets

I am a Spyderco fan, but own two Mini-Grips (yellow and blue) and love them. One has slight blade play, but not too horrible. I went the thumbstud route because I figured I would get something different from what I already had a bunch of. :)

18. jimw451
    • In Omnia Paratus

jimw451 Loaded Pockets

Gonna bandwagon the mini grip and any Pardue you can get for around $100. Mini Onslaught is awesome too. Haven't shopped them in a while, but big props on the axis lock. You gotta try it for that feature alone to see if it's your thing. Good luck with your search!

19. JAGJ

JAGJ Loaded Pockets

What are your favorite Spydercos? That will help us in better recommendations. I'm a HUGE fan of the mini-grip. Lots of blade options and colors to suit a wide variety of likes.