1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

things we used to know

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by Rquagliata, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Rquagliata

Rquagliata Loaded Pockets

As we become more and more reliant on and all the conviences of modern technology, have we as a people forgotten how to survive with out all these things? Back before the industrial revolution we farmed we hunted and lived just to live.

Please list a few things you think most people knew back then that we have forgotten today.

2. brix

brix Loaded Pockets

To navigate without GPS or the internet.

3. attorneyadrian

attorneyadrian Loaded Pockets

How to repair a wagon wheel

4. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Loaded Pockets

sailing a square-rigged ship. Way different than sailing most anything else on the water today.
    On that vein, celestial navigation is going the way of the dodo bird. The US Naval Academy and the US Air Force navigators school no longer routinely teaches it. Same with morse code (although I've never been a cw fan).

Surgery training is moving away from open procedures to minimally invasive: Great for the patient, as long as the tools are available. Basic medical diagnostic skills are falling by the wayside in favor of high-tech modalities. Thats a good thing, but expensive and technology reliant.

Auto repair. How many kids buy a used car and learn how to maintain it by abusing it, any more? I was going out to my car in the parking lot a few months ago and one of my medical students was stuck - his car wouldn't start. A quick look showed the battery cable was loose, a dip into my brief case for my Wave got him started right up. He looked at me like I had just turned lead into gold, or something...

Repairing most anything. Of course, most new stuff is basically not repairable the way it's made, parts aren't available or are more expensive than a replacement. How many TV repair shops are there today? And when a Blueray / DVD player can be purchased new for around $100 why bother fixing a DVD player at all - when the bill will be close to that?

5. Rquagliata

Rquagliata Loaded Pockets

great responces fo far fellas, keep'em comming.

I thing one thing we have truely lost is that most of us cant farm at all. Raising crops, knowing when to plant what vegetable, what to actually plant, and when to rotate crops, and knowing how to irrigate propperly.

6. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

One of the biggest differences I notice between my grandparents and the current generation is just practical skills - My grandfather was fairly skilled in a huge range of things from woodworking (Basic pieces of furniture and so on) to electronics (from simple things like rewiring a plug to building hifi amplifiers) and knowledge of how to fix a whole myriad of things.
    Nowadays the only people that have enough knowledge of woodworking will be the carpenters doing it as a job or the guys specifically doing it as a hobby...

A big part of this I think is the speed of technology and disposable culture we seem to have now - if your TV breaks, you chuck it out and buy a new one which is probably three generations newer than the one you just lost, despite it only being a few years old. Even if someone wanted to repair one the entire thing is built out of smd components that a normal person with a soldering iron can't work with - unlike TV's of old that could be dismantled to a useful degree and have relevant parts swapped, not just the whole circuitry. Same with cars too - Look at a 30 year old car and you can follow what every piece of the system does. Compare to a new car that has a huge mess of wiring all terminating in a black box of mystery, which includes all the circuitry that decided whether the engine is safe to run or too hot or whatever problem one of the thousands of sensors has picked up...

7. revs
    • In Omnia Paratus

revs Loaded Pockets

Irrigation is easy, FLOOD IT! lol. In all seriousness though, that is how we irrigated the crops when I was growing up. Put a dam across the ditch and get the water into the furrows between crops. Grandpa used to water his vegetables that way, too. Just used a hose instead of the ditch.

How many people could approximate the time by looking up? Or tell weather changes were coming without the weatherman telling them? I have noticed more and more people on the side of the road with a cop or other public employee changing a flat for them. Has everyone forgot how to do that?

8. t0mcat

t0mcat Loaded Pockets

I think all of the above shows how incredible human's are at adapting themselfs to their environment.
    If you take a koala it's ecalyptus, it dies.
    humans on the other hand adapt to their surroundings.
    If "insert fatal world ending here" the surviving people would do what we all do. survive and adapt.
    I think neither skill set is "the best", old vs new, the best skill set is adapt and a strong will to survive are key.

9. MSL_MAN

MSL_MAN Loaded Pockets

That pocket knives are tools and every gentleman should carry one. And that EVERY truck should have a hunting knife and a .22 rifle under the seat.

That little boys like to play army and make things into swords and guns and PRETEND.

That kids in school like to daydream and make drawings of guns. tanks, ships, airplanes and other neat things.

Canning and storing food.

Simple hunting and fishing and eating what you take. I'm talking squirrels and rabbits. Cane pole fishing and frog jigging. Not needing a $100k bass boat and months of preparing. Or needing a super-duper rifle/scope. I enjoy shooting my .22s more than my other rifles because it takes a little more skill to hit something with them and I can shoot them much more. My goal this summer is to take my grandson fishing every weekend I am home. I grew up in Kentucky and my wife accuses me of living like Huckleberry Finn growing up. As kids (starting at about age 10) we always had either a fishing rod (Zebco 33 was the most favorite) or some type of BB gun or .22 rifle with us.

Using a yo-yo. Working with a lot of troops in their 20s I always amaze them that I can use a yo-yo. We get them in gift boxes from time to time in the desert. They just look at them.

Knot tyeing. Yes simple lanyards that everyone on here makes with their eyes closed. I learned as a young troop as something to do while on guard duty or sitting in tent during field problems. These days they all bring their electronics to the field and start seeing if the have a signal.

Car maintenance. Every HS in the country seems to have a driver ed class but no one is required to know how to use a jack and change a tire.

Shop class. Need I say more?

Lots more but that should give everyone something to think about.

On a side note while I was in HS during the 70s my father got the complete set of Firefox books and he was amazed at what he had not learned from his father.

10. revs
    • In Omnia Paratus

revs Loaded Pockets

If I remember correctly, its Foxfire not Firefox. But I need to locate copies. I used to read over my dad's copies all the time. I think he had 2. Might have only been one. Lots of great knowledge in them.