1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Things to do in class

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by Zargon, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

When I'm bored, I'll play with anything handy; a clicky pen, a stress ball, the clip on my keys, a USB drive, an ID or whistle lanyard, the plastic key clip on the bottom of my cell phone holster, etc. Ever try carrying around a squeeze toy or stress ball? You can get them for a couple dollars in most places, some companies give away ones with their logo. I tend to edc one because I work with special needs students who need fidget toys to stay calm/quiet, and I often find myself playing with it. I found a small one with an elastic lanyard here. I didn't realize it had the lanyard when I bought it, but it works great to swing the ball around or to keep it from dropping from your hand.

2. MKram

MKram Loaded Pockets

18" of paracord and practice your knots.

SharpStrings and SAKplumber like this.
  3. ItsHardToKnow

ItsHardToKnow Loaded Pockets

apparently this is the best advice here, 11 likes?! thats awesome!

Im in school to be a teacher - I like this post a lot!

Mumbojumboo likes this.
  4. ATF

ATF Loaded Pockets

5. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

Im in school to be a teacher - I like this post a lot![/quote]

Tough job with unmotivated students. The small rewards keep you going.

6. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Best idea IMHO:) Never can practice enough...especially since I rarely get to use them.

MedicInTraining likes this.
  7. Pilgrimm

Pilgrimm Loaded Pockets

I listen to the teacher & take notes.

Usually helps.

SAKplumber likes this.
  8. Zargon

Zargon Loaded Pockets

Ok a bit of clarification, this is mainly for my math and science classes, when the teachers spend half the class re-re-re explaining things to kids who don't pay attention, I agree, I totally like taking notes, and I pay attention, this is for occasions were I have a period of time to wait

SharpStrings and SAKplumber like this.
  9. whoozle

whoozle Loaded Pockets

If pen spinning isn't your thing, then perhaps something from this video will be for you? ;)

SAKplumber likes this.
  10. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

I had trouble when the teacher was discussing stuff I already knew. That started when I was about 8.

Now I sit in classes with kids 25 years younger than I am, teachers too. It can be really bad when I'm more qualified to teach the class than the instructor, know more about the topic than the teacher, and they're getting it wrong.

Sent by Owl Post

Zargon likes this.
  11. Quixotica

Quixotica Loaded Pockets

I have the same problem as Catherine. I'm not trying to say I'm a super genius, but I've always been a curious kid, so I have a lot of random knowledge in a lot of random topics, and read a lot of books about a lot of things. A lot of classes I've taken have covered stuff that I already learned or know the basics of, so I get bored in those classes and fidget a lot. I'm a model student when we cover topics I have no knowledge of, though. I struggle at math sometimes because I've rarely had a good math teacher that could actually explain things in a way that made sense to me. I can be pretty good at math once I figure out how a problem works. I usually have to go to YouTube and watch a few different videos for it to really click, though. :)

Oaklington and Evilbunny like this.
  12. JustinJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

JustinJ Loaded Pockets

at work when I need to fidget, I do post-it origami. I came across these large rectangular ones, and today at work I began folding them into triangular sections so I can make a giant flexagon out of them. . i also spin pens (badly) to prevent myself from fidgeting with EDC gear.

Oaklington and whoozle like this.
  13. whoozle

whoozle Loaded Pockets

The narrator's voice reminds me of Alyson Hannigan's voice.

14. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

School (college) is about paying your dues. (Figuratively and Literally)

I love those students that know everything. If you do, why are here? You may know but until you have the paper that proves your credentials, it is just hot air. Professors do not always get to pick the classes they teach. I’ve taught classes out of my comfort zone, which wasn’t my decision. It’s too easy to say, "I know more than the prof." If you have a masters and a PhD, why are you taking the class? It is not my fault your are in my class. (Either you need the credit or you are one of those professional students we laugh about) Do your work and show a little respect. If you cannot, well…. that is the reason you are on that side of the podium. Time to be an adult.

15. Quixotica

Quixotica Loaded Pockets

And here I thought college was about getting an education in a field to apply to the work force.

There's no need to take it as a personal attack. I don't claim to know everything, or even more than a professor. But in some basic classes, I do already know some of the material, so I zone out a little bit and fidget. If that's disrespectful to you, I'm sorry, but maybe get off the high horse a tiny bit. Geez.

16. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

I have three degrees including a doctorate. I'm 3/4ths of the way to a Masters in Theology. I guess I'm one of those professional students you laugh about. I had a bad head injury in 1991. I testified against some white supremacists, and one of them tried to kill me. I was stabbed several times, thrown head first and backwards down a marble staircase. At the bottom, because I refused to die, my head was slammed repeatedly into the stone floor and strangled unconscious. I spent 8 years in a wheelchair.

My doctor has recommended that I continue to take classes because it is good for my cognitive functioning. Being around young people is good for me, as is trying to learn new things. I would never disrespect a professor. I have taught and know how difficult the job is. I'm not a know it all. I'm a know a lot.

There are sections of courses that I become bored in. As an example while taking a course on the theology of marriage, we discussed the annulment tribunal, how it works, etc. Since I have practiced in the tribunal, that section was obviously a review for me. My professor was confident enough to ask me to contribute to the discussion from my experience. I, however, would never attempt to take over a class. With less confident or capable instructors, I remain silent and find something else to do to keep my mind busy.

Sent by Owl Post

MedicInTraining and SAKplumber like this.
  17. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

College is about getting an education to apply, hence the figurative dues (money) and the literal dues (you go to class)
    This was not a personal attack to me at all. I see this attitude all the time. Once you earn your high horse, things might look different.

18. Quixotica

Quixotica Loaded Pockets

I'm sure you do see the "I know everything" attitude constantly. But I don't have it, nor did I ever state anything other than "sometimes what I've already learned about a few specific things overlaps with the curriculum", and I'd prefer you not to talk down to me like I'm sitting in class with my feet propped up and being generally disruptive. If you want respect, you have to show some too, even if I am just a pitiful, know-nothing-at-all-because-I-haven't-graduated-yet student.

19. MKram

MKram Loaded Pockets

You _could_ work ahead, or knock out the homework for your other classes. Drag getting stuck with students who don't appear to want to be there but that's no reason for you not to exceed the standards.

I worked up some skill in spherical trigonometry while in H.S. because I had finished the (regular) trig book halfway through the semester, so my teacher gave me something else to mentally gnaw on.

20. ac7ss
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

The "No Child Left Behind" :censored: has hurt our school system here in the States. Instead of elevating those who have a difficult time learning, it drags down the ones who would excel if given a chance.

I will admit to being one of those bored kids in High School. My English grades were HORRENDOUS. However I was one of the top scorers in the school on my SAT for language.

Origami was a fun thing to do, another was learning another language during class. Paper airplanes and hacking the school computer systems during physics class was the other. (This was in the early 80's. Real hacking, not using someone's password.)

JustinJ and SAKplumber like this.