1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Thin and light carry: Walther PPS or S&W Shield 9

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by sjducks, Dec 23, 2015.

1. sjducks

sjducks Loaded Pockets

In light of recent price drops (PPS around $360ish), what is the better value? I've narrowed my selection down to these two and would appreciate some input from those who have one or the other. FYI, I've owned glocks and 1911's in the past but now have an M&P9c, so I'm not brand sensitive. I'm looking for reliability and comfort. So for under $400 which would you recommend? Thanks all and happy holidays!

2. Paulgl26

Paulgl26 Loaded Pockets

I tried both and a pm9
    I ended up with a pps

3. 9x19

9x19 Loaded Pockets

I tired both, I ended up with a Bersa BP9CC... but if I were to go back it would be the PPS.

[​IMG]

4. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

I sold my Kel Tec PF9 and got a Shield. It is super easy to carry in a Clinger holster. Points well and shoots great. Comes with two magazines. Never even held the Walther, but they sure look nice.

5. wildcatf150

wildcatf150 Empty Pockets

I've also tried both and also ended up with the PPS.

6. Domain

Domain Loaded Pockets

I tried both, and would go with the Shield. I liked the sight picture better. The grip was more comfortable. I like the magazine release better. Granted the PPS was the best single stack 9 for a very long time IMO and still is one of the best options.

7. MicroMike

MicroMike Loaded Pockets

Another vote for the PPS. I've only put 200 rounds through mine. Although it's not really a range gun it is pleasurable to shoot with the full length magazine.

When it's time to CCW I use the flat bottom magazine. Once I get accustomed to carrying I plan to also incorporate a second 6 rnd mag to my carry system.

8. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

I don't think the shield is under 400 unless it's just expensive here.

I've shot both and liked them both just fine. But, I did and would always get the shield. I prefer the button mag release to the paddle. Everything else can be modified.

I might actually be carrying the shield for the first time tomorrow if I decide to go deep for Christmas eve dinner.

9. Damn_Yankee

Damn_Yankee Loaded Pockets

I bought my Shield new for just at $350 at a local gun show a few months ago. Local gun shops seem to be around
    $360 - $390. I do like the feel of the PPS but the mag release is the deal breaker for me.

chaosmagnet and Buckeye Jake like this.
  10. sjducks

sjducks Loaded Pockets

Thanks for input fellas, much appreciated. The paddle mag release doesn't bother me at all. It's good to hear from you all who have actually owned and used both for longer periods of time than just a single range session. Happy holidays all!

11. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

The answer, of course, is "Yes".

I own and love a Shield. It's held up to over a thousand rounds of mixed FMJ, JHP, +P and everything else you can think of. It's surprisingly accurate, easy on recoil and very easy to conceal. As far as reliability, I've had exactly one FTE and that was with a 147gr Win Ranger.

My buddy has a PPS and would say the exact same thing. I like the PPS, but like the Shield just a bit more.

I've seen Shields on sale for under $300 recently. IMO, if you can get a Shield for under $300, it's a tremendous value.

SMAJ and sjducks like this.
  12. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

For under $300, and assuming it's the one without a safety, mag disconnect, or other flaws, I'd buy at least one just to have around.

SMAJ likes this.
  13. mroldman

mroldman Loaded Pockets

The pps is $300? Dang I spent around $600, I love mine (9mm) don't even know I have it on.

14. sjducks

sjducks Loaded Pockets

Thanks for all of your input fellas. I decided on a new PPS from an FFL a little ways from me. All in it'll be under $400, so I'm pretty happy. I'm sure somewhere along the way I'll end up with some iteration of the Shield, but for now I'm just excited to pick up something new.

15. SMAJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

SMAJ Loaded Pockets

got my shield for 240...it was a steal! Haven't shot it yet, but already got a holster for it and tried it out as my CCW...wow! Going to the range this weekend!:p

Ben Rubinstein likes this.
  16. Il Duce

Il Duce Loaded Pockets

Save $50 and go Glock 43

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Strayz

Strayz Loaded Pockets

The Newly released PPS the grip is supposed to be even more contoured. I am intrigued, since I really like the PPQ, and the VP9, it seems that the PPS may be one of the next on the toy list.

18. sjducks

sjducks Loaded Pockets

Got this yesterday and I'm starting to break it in. I have to say the it feels significantly lighter and is undoubtedly thinner than my M&P9c. Both serve their purpose but I'm really digging how the PPS feels in hand.

[​IMG]

chaosmagnet likes this.