1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Thick folders: why?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by AvocadosNumber, Apr 27, 2018.

1. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

I would also argue that many modern folders, particularly tactical ones, are designed somewhat to be "stupid proof". By that, I mean that a lot of non-knife people buying tactical folders will try all the abusive tasks like prying, using the blade as a screwdriver, hacking, et cetera. I've seen it time and time again, and it has convinced me that for the average Joe or Jane Q. Public, oftentimes a blade that is beefier than necessary for good cutting performance is needed to withstand the beating it will take.

At least with the Joes and Janes I have known.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  2. Todd21969

Todd21969 Loaded Pockets

I am 100% a knife guy. Have had a knife in my pocket for over 40 years.
    That's pre-tactical.folders.

However I guess I'm just an average Joe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To me a knife is just a tool, capable of more than just slicing paper or food. I'll use one to cut, pry, bore, hack, pierce, even baton.

The ones I purchase are more than capable of handling it. I guess I'm not a knife purist/and or "stupid"

Last edited by Todd21969, Apr 28, 2018
    #22 Todd21969, Apr 28, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
  3. huntnow

huntnow Loaded Pockets

Greatest reply I've seen on the forum. Hat's off to you sir.

4. Todd21969

Todd21969 Loaded Pockets

Thanks.

I understand this is an EDC forum.But I'm not about to EDC a drill, 7" prybar, hacksaw, metal punch and hammer, and axe.

5. Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen

Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen Loaded Pockets

Thin blades do slice produce well, but if we are talking what knives you use on food, you do have denser foods like cured meats where a heftier knife will help you make a straighter cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

I do sincerely apologize if my prior post was offensive, that was not the intention. Heaven knows ive done things with my knives that I shouldn't have.

7. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Does anyone here honestly think that there is only one right way to cut things and that not using a knife the way that you do is doing things the wrong way?

8. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

Yes. Using your high-hardness thin carbon steel expensive Japanese gyuto for batonning through oak is the wrong way. :)

9. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Point Taken.

10. SOS24
    • +2 Supporter

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

I see the utility in both a thick and thin blade which is why I carry a SAK and a thicker stronger folder. The thin blade of the SAK is great for small easy tasks like slicing food, but there are some tasks for which a sturdier blade is just better suited.

11. Karmakanic

Karmakanic Loaded Pockets

Usually, there is more than one right way to do most things in life. Sadly, there are many wrong ways to do most things as well.
    You've just got to hope that if you are on the operating table, the surgeon knows the best way to manipulate a blade.

12. AvocadosNumber

AvocadosNumber Empty Pockets

You might want a little more heft for things like chopping and batoning, sure, but the question is how much more thickness you really need - especially in a small-to-average-sized folder. I look at the thickness of the Pilar and see something that sacrifices some ability to slice and do "basic" knife tasks for not-much-more ability to chop/baton/pry/whatever.

13. huntnow

huntnow Loaded Pockets

I would never consider batoning or chopping with a folder, unless survival forced me to. However, I spend a considerable amount of time hunting and I prefer a folder that can withstand those demands. Try to field dress a large animal with a thin blade. At best, your knife will break. At the worst, you will injure yourself trying to do something your blade isn't capable of.

14. Daveho

Daveho Loaded Pockets

Right tool for the job.

What constitutes the right too will be decided by a warranty department I’m sure so gear yourself accordingly.

Last edited by Daveho, Apr 30, 2018
    #34 Daveho, Apr 30, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  15. Todd21969

Todd21969 Loaded Pockets

Nah....the right tool is the one I have with me, right then. I wouldn't bother using a warranty.

I've never broken a blade or lock. If my heavy handedness ever broke a knife I'd pay to repair it. Or pay to replace it.

I am fully prepared to own up to my user error.

16. Daveho

Daveho Loaded Pockets

I’ll stick to using tools for their intended use.

17. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

Because the internet and companies like Cold Steel have convinced people that 1) a folding knife is the right tool to breach foors, or 2) you will ever be in a situation where a folder is your only tool, 3) it's ok to do the job with the wrong tool because "your knife is built for hard use", 4) if a knife can't withstand repeated spine whacks and can't cut a car door in half it isn't strong enough for "real world" use, whatever that means.

I could go on but it's all marketing. You can do any reasonable knife task with a $11 Opinel and in most cases it will out perform those tank folders because it will slice far better, and slicing is what knives do.

Now, that said I do appreciate a good over built knuckle dragging knife. I may not carry it as much and it won't perform as well but I do enjoy them. I also think they are way over popularized and not necessary for "real world work". It's easy enough to carry a multitool and it can do the majority of those jobs you shouldn't be doing with a knife.

FA Tre and Moshe ben David like this.