1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Themeparks & EDC

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by sparkyjim, Jun 13, 2013.

1. sparkyjim

sparkyjim Loaded Pockets

Will be travelling, via air, to Orlando next month. Need help in figuring out what can go & what has to stay. Also any recommendations from the more experienced.
    Normally we vacation backpacking in the mountains, so all my stuff goes; but not this year.
    I know I'll be completely unarmed - I'm sure I can survive the nakedness; but there has to be a multitool somewhere that'll be okay. I'll reduce my trauma kit to a simple FAK, since I know the parks have good response teams. And I'll have to have sunscreen for everyone, cameras & gear, batteries, etc. But what else can I/should I take?
    Thanks in advance for sharing/contributing.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

2. doktorziplok

doktorziplok Loaded Pockets

Orlando in July? air conditioning.

warchild, VKX and Mighty Max like this.
  3. SponzyParadox

SponzyParadox Loaded Pockets

Keep it in your pocket when I went they searched the bags but not the pockets. But I would not bring anything to big, expensive, or sentimental.

4. monkeyluis

monkeyluis Loaded Pockets

Water bottles!!! Refill them at counter service areas. Cheaper than buying water.

We have annual passes and go every few weeks, we live about 20 mins away.

5. defuse kit

defuse kit Loaded Pockets

Bring cash. It solves most problems. The counter service area will also let you refill on ice, not bad. I'm most familiar with the theme parks here in California and can safely say that none will check your pockets or pat you down. No clip showing? You can bring in whatever you want. I usually just roll with a Vic Tinker in my pocket, nothing scary or tactical.

Possibly a pocket umbrella. Keeping the sun off helps, even with sunscreen. Something to keep you busy in a long line. Snacks, because long lines. Possibly a light layer, like a long sleeve shirt. Even in summer the nights can get chilly.

6. sparkyjim

sparkyjim Loaded Pockets

I was wondering if they would allow water bottles. Lots of info out there, just not always what you're looking for. Wasn't wanting to spend $100 a day on water will make sure everyone packs their water bottles.
    Good tip on the umbrella, hadn't thought of that.

Getahl likes this.
  7. tonkatoy9398

tonkatoy9398 Loaded Pockets

Water bottles are allowed, I carried a Camelbak Eddy with me everywhere I went, parks and resorts. Also think about those single serve drink mixes as the water in the Orlando area is not the best, or at least not to me. As mentioned before, anything in your pockets are safe, as long as you don't have a clip showing. Bag searches are kinda hit and miss, it will be searched, but how well depends on the individual.

8. Nodust

Nodust Empty Pockets

Had my pocket knife clipped to my front pocket as usual. Guy just told me to put it in pocket and move along.

This was in 09.

9. Tyzator

Tyzator Loaded Pockets

When I went there I just brought cash. You can buy almost anything in the parks. Go light and have fun;)

10. UrbanWarrior

UrbanWarrior Loaded Pockets

I never try to take pocket knives to theme parks. I don't want to take a chance and lose it or have it consficated.

11. WillCAD

WillCAD Loaded Pockets

I have been going to the theme parks in Orlando every year since 1990.

My EDC consists of:

Camera gear:
    *Camera
    *Spare memory cards
    *Spare battery
    *Lens cloth
    *Gorillapod
    *Camera poncho

"Utility" belt (2" web belt with stuff hung on it):
    *Smartphone (load theme parks apps like Undercover Tourist to get attraction wait times and park maps, and program any reservations into calendar)
    *Brita filtered water bottle
    *Vinyl poncho rolled up tight, secured with velcro to the back
    *Small bottle of high SPF sunscreen

Pockets:
    *Pocket organizer with OTC meds, any prescriptions I might be on, and Tums
    *Multitool
    *Small folder
    *ID
    *Cash
    *ATM card
    *Credt card
    *Car keys
    *Keychain LED

Neck:
    *Sunglasses on a cord
    *Lanyard with plastic pouch for park ticket and FastPass slips

Photo tips:
    Carry a spare memory card and a spare battery at all times. Recharge your battery and rotate them every night. Take enough memory cards so that you can change to a new card every night - even if it's not full - to prevent complete loss of pics if you lose one card. Or, if you have a laptop with you, download your pics every night and upload them to a photo storage site to back them up.

General tips:
    I rarely go in summer because of the heat and humidity, but in July, you better be prepared! Drink water. Bring that sunscreen and re-apply every few hours. Drink water. Wear a hat to protect your head from sunburn. Drink water. Sunglasses on a cord, because you'll be putting them on and taking them off constantly. Drink water. Take mid-day breaks, especially if you have small kids, and go back to your hotel for a nap and/or a swim, and maybe even a change of clothes. Drink water.Wear light-colored, loose-fitting clothes, and light, comfortable footwear that will dry quickly after rain or wet rides. Drink water.

And above all, relax! There is a lot to do in Orlando, and people (especially first-timers who think that they are only allowed to only go to Orlando ONCE in their entire lives under penalty of law) have a tendency to try to do everything in a week. DON'T. You can't do everything, so don't try. Don't get upset if you miss something - just schedule another trip later and make it up.

ETA: No theme park security will confiscate ANYTHING from you. If they see something that's prohibited, they simply won't let you in the park till you get rid of it. There are bag checks at the entrances, but no metal detectors or strip searches; they are mostly looking for prohibited items like glass containers, drugs, and firearms.

12. sparkyjim

sparkyjim Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the info! Water was my major concern, we're Texans so I'm not overly concerned about the heat (we have ridiculous hats for sun protection). Will look at the Brita bottles don't currently have any with built in filters

13. WillCAD

WillCAD Loaded Pockets

If you're coastal Texans and used to humidity along with your heat, you'll be fine in Orlando.

However, if you're more like west Texans who live in an arid environment, the humidity will sap your strength and make it hard to breathe. Rehydration is key, just as it is in an arid environment, but your sweat won't evaporate as quickly so your body won't cool itself as efficiently. Your clothes will become soaked with sweat by the end of the day and stick to you. Cooling is just as important as rehydrating.

The Brita filtered bottles can be found most handily at Walmart for under $9 each with one filter. They come in 3 or 4 translucent colors. Each filter is supposed to be good for 50 gallons, and replacements are two for about $8.

14. Shorttime

Shorttime Loaded Pockets

I would also suggest a hat, with a full brim. For me, it's a boonie hat, but there are other choices.

You can tip it back to shield your neck, forward to cut the glare, and it collects the sweat before it runs down into your eyes. Most can be hand washed in the sink if you need to, or rolled up and stuffed in a (large) pocket.

I will warn you. There is an attraction in DW (or maybe Islands of Adventure..) that has something to do with Navy ships. They pull people out of line and get them to "act" in the foregoing story. Mostly, they soak these poor fools with water, while they skid around the "deck" in badly fitted rain gear.

The kids manning the waiting area, or maybe their boss, saw my camo boonie hat, and thought it would be funny to put the Army Guy in the show.

The joke's on them: I was never in the service, I just wanted a no-nonsense hat. The water was nice and cool, but the galoshes sucked.

15. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

Hat. Handkerchief or bandana. Sunglasses. Go on your favorite auction site, and search for "Swiss Army Knife Lots". Pick up 3 or 4 SAK Classic SD for about 15 bucks. Clean and sharpen. Now you can bring a tool with you whereever you go. Most times, if its on keys, they don't look twice. If they want to take it... gift it to someone leaving the park. Its good EDC karma, and you are only out a few bucks. Plus, you have more SAKs back at the hotel room for the next day.

Dok J likes this.
  16. WillCAD

WillCAD Loaded Pockets

You're thinking of the Backlot Tour in Disney's Hollywood Studios. You were crewing the S.S. Totally Sinkable.

Disney is not a government agency, they're a private company (same goes for Universal and SeaWorld). They CAN NOT and DO NOT "take" or "confiscate" ANYTHING from their paying guests. If you have an item that they prohibit in the parks on you, and they see it, they will simply not let you in as long as you have it.

That being said - SAKs, multitools, and pocket knives are not prohibited in the parks. "Weapons" are prohibited, and unfortunately, some folks define anything with a blade as a weapon - even a SAK with a 1" blade.

However - none of the theme parks in Orlando conduct a full-body search on their paying guests. They only conduct bag searches. Mostly, they're looking for glass bottles and firearms, which are strictly forbidden in the parks. If you have a pocket knife, multitool, or SAK, all you have to do is keep it in your pocket where it cannot be seen, and nobody will see it.

HINT: A kinfe that is clipped to your front pants pocket is not "in your pocket" and it CAN be seen. The bigger the knife, the more chance that one of the park's private security guards will see it during your bag check and prevent you from entering the park with it, so drop it down inside the pocket. Likewise, if you happen to carry a folder with a 3" or 4" blade... leave that pigsticker at home and carry a smaller knife, something with a 2" or less blade, while you're in the parks.