1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Theater tools

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by Zargon, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Zargon

Zargon Loaded Pockets

Just getting in to high school as a freshmen and am doing tech in the theater at this school to. This time around though my job is more oriented to the electrical aspects of things VS. being a board op so i need some more tools. I need some advise on tools i can have either in a skinth or in my pocket that will help me, in particular i'm looking for some school legal multitools and things like this (you people are good with coming up with things that will make me spend money). Just remember that it needs to be allowed in school and needs to be light (moving around allot)
    Thanks in advance and im glad to be back after my small break

2. Zargon

Zargon Loaded Pockets

also the current tools i have is the ultimate flat focus tool (thank you neveranonymous for the tip) and a quark QT2L-X tactical (i am in love with this light).

3. foxmo

foxmo Loaded Pockets

Look into headlamps. I work backstage and theater people need both hands, and sometimes more! I used to have a Gerber that I could flick open one handed. The pliers shot out of the handle. I lost it :( . You need an adjustable wrench too. Also make sure you have a bunch of tie line. You don't want to be dropping things from the grid!

Zargon likes this.
  4. Renegade Style

Renegade Style Loaded Pockets

well, i am from germany,
    so i don`t know anything about US highschool-law,
    but i would suggest a Leatherman Squirt P4, PS4 ,ES4 or Gerber Dime
    or something like LM Juice S2 or XE6, or LM Wave or LM Fuse,
    but i think these 4 models are not welcome at school.

Zargon likes this.
  5. mwelch8404

mwelch8404 Loaded Pockets

Zargon likes this.
  6. Zargon

Zargon Loaded Pockets

i got all my tools tied down and the head light is a good idea, ill think about it

7. Zargon

Zargon Loaded Pockets

if they have knives then cant bring them

Evilbunny likes this.
  8. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Definitely consider a Zebralight headlamp. I would strongly recommend the H501w for the kind of tasks you'll be doing. The H501w has a neutral white LED for good color rendition and it has a diffused spot beam that does not leave blind spots but also has no throw, so it won't illuminate much further than your immediate area.

Zargon, SAKplumber and patrat like this.
  9. patrat

patrat Loaded Pockets

+1 on headlamp, A single AA model like the Zebralight will keep you from going broke on batteries like the cheap 3xAAA will.

Don't mess with typical multitools, as school admininstrator hysteria has reached a fever pitch. You could be suspended just because it resembles a different tool that has a knife. Also don't carry this stuff all day, leave it in your locker or bag. Some districts could allege that the screwdriver is a shank, the wrench a bludgeon. The headlamp should be fine.

Your safest bet is to just get the headlamp, and then stick with whatever tools the department has on hand for your use. This way you can skip all the profiling. Maybe get a tool belt to make the department tools portable when you are working around.

Zargon likes this.
  10. Zargon

Zargon Loaded Pockets

This is a idea i have been having relating to this, figure out what tools are ok AFTER school hours that i will be using, fill a skinth with them, then keep it in the TD office all day till rehearsal. Head lamp i will keep on my though (probably as a clip lite then move it to the band during crew)

Keep the good ideas coming :D

11. Zargon

Zargon Loaded Pockets

No more ideas?

12. FloHimself

FloHimself Loaded Pockets

Zargon likes this.
  13. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

If you ask Metro, he may be willing to make you a rig like mine. Its customized for telcom work, but a 5 inch crescent wrench and slipjoint pliers will fit just fine.
    [​IMG]
    IMAG0298 by Sriracha2, on Flickr

Zargon likes this.
  14. Zargon

Zargon Loaded Pockets

I really like the idea of replacing the blade with other things, and I plan on asking metro for a custom after I figure out what tools I want to put in it

15. Grinch

Grinch Banned

Zargon is that a ped box wrench in orange that i see in your Skinth

Zargon and Sriracha like this.
  16. Evilbunny

Evilbunny Loaded Pockets

Weird I am doing the same thing. All I have found that's needed is screwdrivers,thick pencil,crescent wrench, light. I wish I could bring a multi tool. And I see your also in california? You would know it's worse here so I would say keep it at that I don't know about you but I just go to the storage units if anything else is needed.

defuse kit and Zargon like this.
  17. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

You know it. A locknut/canwrench/pedbox wrench.

Zargon and thegrinch like this.
  18. ItsHardToKnow

ItsHardToKnow Loaded Pockets

during school hours or after school hours - the rules are the same on school grounds.
    just use what they have already and dont waste your money

Zargon and foxmo like this.
  19. Shuutr

Shuutr Loaded Pockets

Measuring tape?

Zargon likes this.
  20. greymethod

greymethod Loaded Pockets

I did the same thing in high school. Anything that has a knife on it is a no go. I graduated HS in 2007 and had a buddy that got caught using the knife on a Leatherman... he was expelled for having a "weapon." I kept all of my tools in my POV on the days that I needed to build things. I did have a Leatherman with a bit kit that I had on my tool belt but I NEVER used the knife on it. It really depends on your area, how big your school is and who you know. I had mechanics class and electrical engineering class as well as the normal course load so I had an excuse to have tools and junk in my car all of the time (with passes from teachers).

Just be careful and think about what you actually need in your set building endeavors. You could probably get by with a couple of screw drivers, some need nose and small adjustable wrench... don;t be the guy that has a bunch of stuff on him that never gets used.

Zargon likes this.