1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The Worlds Smallest Multi-Tool??

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by DangerMouse101, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Agree on last sentence...applies in USA, too.....fyi, though, 473 ml equates to a pint (16 ounces) which is a standard size still in many places like the UK & USA.

2. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Looks to me like another point in favor of most reasonably equipped SAK as edc! ;)

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

ox71 and garza like this.
  3. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

Not wishing to highjack this thread too far... most of the beer I buy comes in 12 ounce bottles. That seems to be the US standard these days, or at least, so it seems. At parties where everybody's beer contributions are in the same cooler, 16 ounce bottles or cans always stand out. I went to the kitchen to verify this, but as it happens, there were only two bottles in the house, both Dos Equis, a Mexican brand. However, a quick internet check did seem to confirm that is the US standard, as well. What?

4. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

Interestingly, in the UK, bottles tend to be 330ml which is just over 11 fl oz, at least for beer.

500ml cans are available but not that common and there's very few 500ml bottles. Tyskie is the only one I can think of for beer. Cider is usually is a 500ml bottle though for some reason

5. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

I have "necessary" redundancy. Knives are not permitted in the courthouses or schools in Texas. Luckily, there is no such prohibition against bottle openers, so in the event I can't carry my Swiza D04, I'm still set.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  6. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

12 oz. is the overwhelming standard in the U.S. & 330ml is the Euro equivalent (close enough). For a better look at beer sizes, though, check the link below:
    https://beerconnoisseur.com/articles/popular-beer-sizes

I know Lone Star...one of my favorite "guilty pleasure" Texas beers, comes in 16 oz. cans

garza likes this.
  7. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Wasn't thinking in those terms. Been a long time since I was in a public school building. And never thought of need for a bottle opener in a courthouse. Then again, I can't remember the last time I needed a bottle opener for anything other than beer; and never really connected that with courthouses either. Different parts of the country of course...!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

8. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Truthfully, it is unlikely to find a vending machine these days with glass containers in a Texas courthouse, but I've used it on occasion at a school function. They are a good solution to balky twist-off caps, also. I have a nephew who some years ago cut himself rather badly when a bottle neck cracked while he was attempting to twist off the top...an unlikely scenario to be sure, but a real-world incident. He now uses a bottle opener to open all comers.

9. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

Texas changed the restrictions on blade length for schools, courthouses and hospitals. My employer a major DFW hospital updated the handbook to prohibit blades in excess of 5 1/2 “ to comply with the Sept 1, 2017 law change.

10. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Yes, the language was changed to "location-restricted knife" and now applies to blades over 5-1/2", as distinguished from "knife" which is defined as: "any bladed hand instrument that is capable of inflicting serious bodily injury or death by cutting or stabbing a person with the instrument." It's been my personal experience that word travels slow & there are many overzealous individuals, so I still err on the side of caution.

11. bj warkentin

bj warkentin Loaded Pockets

I have no idea of the rational behind this. In Ontario (Canada) all the large commercial breweries package mainly in bottles (to the US standard size, even though they are labelled in ml, as Canada is metric). They also "bottle" in cans and use the 12 US oz (355 ml) "pop can" size as the most common standard. They also produce King cans or Tall Boys that are typically 16 US oz. There are some other weird sizes but they are way less common.

The small craft breweries package mostly in cans, and very rarely package in the smaller size. It might have something to do with how recycling is done and the difficulty in getting their own glass bottles back to refill, if they want a distinctive bottle rather than a generic one. What I don't understand is why they have adopted the larger size as their seeming standard. What is odd is that many of the European beers are also available in cans here, though size wise 500 ml seems more common that 473 ml, and that includes a lot of UK beer.

All I know is that I buy almost exclusively craft beer, mostly from Ontario, as there are so many amazing beers and I like supporting local small companies and the are all packaged in the larger cans. It is too bad since I like bottles a lot more than cans. The whole process of opening a bottle and pouring it is somehow way more satisfying than popping a can. Plus drinking from a non screw top bottle (screw top bottles are the devil's work and should be sent to burn for all eternity) is way better than drinking from a can.

12. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

I pour it into a cold glass normally, anyway. I hate drinking directly out of cans, though, so we share that sentiment, for sure.

znapschatz and garza like this.
  13. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Finally managed to take a picture of mine;
    [​IMG]
    This is my stainless version (also have a titanium one that's genuinely misplaced atm). A whole $0.70 shipped straight to your door from china, and that's also exactly how much it should be worth given its functionality. It is indeed the mangler of chain-rings. I have it on a screw-carabiner with my bike keys and that sort-of works in a pinch but honestly if there's anything in the vicinity that can open a bottle ill do my best to not use this one as it simply lacks leverage. And by anything i do mean anything; tables, beer-crates, spoons, belt buckles, other bottles, door-frames, brick wall corners, lighters, large keys, any kind of hand-tool, extension cords... its hard to think of something that is not able to remove bottle-caps better than this. Bananas and other soft fruit spring to mind but honestly that's pushing it.

14. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

I've opened bottles with a tightly folded dollar bill before, so I see no point in that keychain opener. You can use anything that's reasonably stiff.

15. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Yeah, there honestly isn't a point to it really. The only reason i bought it was because of curiosity.

On the other hand, we dont have any dollar bills over here so your method wont work!

Moshe ben David and thatotherguy like this.
  16. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

If you've got paper currency, you can use it to open a bottle. Just fold it up as tightly as possible, then use the narrow edge (it's stiffer under pressure than the wide edge) as a lever and your finger as a fulcrum, exactly as you would use a lighter or car key or disposable pen or whatever you use. May take a bit of finagling, but it'll get the cap off and, if you're so inclined, win you a wager.

17. bj warkentin

bj warkentin Loaded Pockets

My home made one is similar from the opener geometry point of view but still has a short lever arm.. It measures in at 1 3/4" long by 9/32" wide. Given that a "standard" (Klassen) house key comes in at 2 3/32" long I don't see the advantage of loosing the lever arm part of the opener. It easily opens bottles without requiring the use of the keyring to supply leverage or without resorting to trying to find something to improvise as an opener... like a lighter, a counter, a table, etc. It is basically a slimmed down version of the generic aluminum keychain opener, made out of hardened tool steel. After 36 years of use it shows basically no wear marks and has opened a large number of beverages.

18. spaceman

spaceman Loaded Pockets

Although a British pint is 568 mL (or 20 imperial fl oz.)

19. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

330 ml is close to a 12 oz bottle. I notice the sizes when purchasing import beers. 16 oz cans are usually sold in the convenience stores for a wide variety of brands. Bottles are sold in 26 oz and 32 oz. The smaller size is for premium beers. I remember the Old English 40 oz bottles back when in search of a cheap drink.

20. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Yep...Forties is the generic term we always used for cheap malt liquor.