1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The Worlds Smallest Multi-Tool??

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by DangerMouse101, Feb 19, 2018.

1. DangerMouse101

DangerMouse101 Empty Pockets

Hey,

I backed a Kickstarter project today which claims to be the worlds smallest EDC tool.

I just wondered if I've been sucked into the whirlwind of bright lights and photoshopped pictures that is crowdfunding? or whether this is truly one of tiniest tools out there..

Its called claw and I went for the titanium option - which is what sucked me in. Take a look guys and let me know if there is anything that rivals this.

This was my first post here as I'm kinda dubious of Kickstarter and wanted a second opinion.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mandk/claw-smallest-bottle-opener-ever?ref=nav_search&result=project&term=backer1302

2. jdindadell

jdindadell Loaded Pockets

The multi aspect is a fob and a bottle opener?

Not really a multi tool to me. You can use the key ring to open a bottle, and a tiby key fob has little use.

It does look smaller, and limited. Was it cheap?

3. Daveho

Daveho Loaded Pockets

4. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

P 38. Multiple uses

can opener
    bottle opener
    screwdriver
    pry tool
    scratch ticket scraper
    finger nail cleaner
    box cutter

5. cole3418

cole3418 Loaded Pockets

Well I don't drink alcohol or any beverages out of a glass bottle. I am not interested in it, it doesn't offer any other variety of tool options other than a bottle opener. I could open a bottle with almost anything like a spoon, pocket knife, edge of a table.

Highway9 likes this.
  6. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

Seems more like a gimmick than a tool to me.

A regular bottle opener does all of that and more, plus is actually easy to use because it fits in the hand.

7. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Yes...that. A dedicated bottle opener makes a great pry bar, too. I'm always amused by people who like to show how they can open bottles with other things. I sit there & watch their act....with my beer already opened......:giggle:

garza and Moshe ben David like this.
  8. Blaablaaguy

Blaablaaguy Empty Pockets

Any keychain bottle opener can do that... Even a small flat bit of metal with a hole drilled in it could do most of those things :/

9. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Oh ive got one of these in titanium! Ill see if i can find it (its in the junk drawer somewhere). I think i paid just under a dollar shipped for it.

10. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

Gross. Getting hammered should be accomplished with finesse. Standards must be maintained. I say bottle opener, or if that is not available, a spliff instead. ;)

Tesla and cole3418 like this.
  11. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Agreed. It's also a good sobriety field test.....first seeing if you can find the opener, then having the manual dexterity to actually open a bottle. :yellowcarded:

Moshe ben David likes this.
  12. LD5050

LD5050 Loaded Pockets

Speaking of gimmicky Kickstarter projects....
    I ordered 2 of these :D

[​IMG]

garza likes this.
  13. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Most of these things are just too small/fiddly to use in my eyes, with ALL types of tools, you can't beat a dedicated spanner, screwdriver or can opener can you? Obviously EDC'ing dedicated tools is out of the question really, probably the closest comprimise is a SAK, something that's fairly small, that can do the task and you won't lose in your hand.

znapschatz and Tesla like this.
  14. ItsHardToKnow

ItsHardToKnow Loaded Pockets

15. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

It is only fitting that the World's Smallest Multitool topic gets the thread's shortest response. :D

Tesla likes this.
  16. ItsHardToKnow

ItsHardToKnow Loaded Pockets

Just over the 'it can do X, Y, Z etc' when dang near anything can do those things.
    Oooh, it can scratch a lottery ticket. So can my thumbnail, << content removed - jag-engr >>

#16 ItsHardToKnow, Apr 4, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2018
    ox71 likes this.
  17. bj warkentin

bj warkentin Loaded Pockets

There are a number of versions of this. However, I am not a fan of the fact that you need the leverage of the ring to actually open a bottle. A long long time ago (when beer came in bottles, not cans) and I was in university I made a stainless steel version of the generic logoed lifter that the engineering society gave out in the frosh kit (the incredibly irresponsible, pro drinking nature of that show you how long ago this was). The aluminum ones worked but the steel bottle caps ate away the lifting edge in short order. The one I machined out of decent steel and then hardened has lived on a almost daily carried keychain for the last (oh my god, I just calculated it) 36 years and is still going strong. Of course now most of the craft beer I drink comes in cans so it does not get used as much but it is still very much part of my edc, and has many happy memories associated with it.

Given that the lifter is the same length as a standard key (which makes it a fair bit smaller than most current car keys, I don't see the need to make it even smaller. The "standard" pocket keychain design allows for easy opening without needing something to provide the necessary leverage. The only issue is that most of the generic ones you find in any souvenir shop are that they are made of aluminum which is way to soft for long life. I did make mine somewhat narrower than the generic ones, for better pocket carry, since it was made out of a much stronger material.

18. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Most good beers still come in bottles...for the record :).....therefore, I still carry a dedicated keyring opener which I bought for next to nothing at an "antique boutique". Despite being old & cheap (like me), it never fails...unlike some of the spendier ones I've been gifted from time to time.

19. bj warkentin

bj warkentin Loaded Pockets

That may depend on where you are. I live in Ontario, Canada and many of the local small and not so small craft brewery beers are only available in cans or kegs. I prefer bottles but it seems the 473 ml (what a random volume) and 500 ml cans are the consumer distribution model of choice.

All the big breweries use bottles but unfortunately most of them make swill rather than beer.

20. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

World's smallest bottle opener.. maybe.