1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The WORK SHARP

Discussion in 'Sharpening Stuff -- Stones, Strops, and Systems' started by SAKplumber, Apr 15, 2014.

1. SAKplumber
    • The Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Ha! Thats the hardest thing to get a picture of!! I barely got a pic of the Vic's blade because it was rolled sand shiney:eek" (If it hadn't been serrated I wouldn't have been able to use it so often regardless)

I'll try again when I get some dull kitchen knives out again. :)

2. Sonoran Tree
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Sonoran Tree Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    BK-2 w/scary sharp edge!

Wydern, Lou_G and thePlumbah like this.
  3. SAKplumber
    • The Omnia Paratus

I was telling a friend today about how I accidentally passed the halfway point on the belt and messed up the tip. So I went back and played with it some more...
    Here ya go! Along with some buffing on the side that made the edges a little shinier :D

I made a leather scale for it and changed it out tonight. Too slippery :/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

gemini, Adahn, Wydern and 1 other person like this.
  4. Wydern

Wydern Loaded Pockets

Looks like you did a fine job sir!
    (Not that I'm any judge:p) Is it my imagination, or did you manage to achieve a slight recurve here? ^

gemini, Adahn and SAKplumber like this.
  5. azJim

azJim Loaded Pockets

Great tool, be careful it can burn a blade. It can also reshape the point if not used correctly. Having said that, I went through a drawer full of dull knives in 20 minutes.

6. oranges

oranges Loaded Pockets

Oh man. How hard is this thing to use? I am the worst sharpener of all time. I need help!

7. SAKplumber
    • The Omnia Paratus

Thank you and NO. :eek:Better not be a recurve there! :p
    Yup, doesn't take much to remove the point:D
    I find it pretty easy but I have a steady hand. I like the belt pulling down(toward the sharp edge) and when I rotate to sand the opposite side of the blade I turn the Work Sharp 180ยบ, and sand the opposite side of the blade while holding it exactly the same. I'm right handed and I messed the tip up using my left so I adjusted and use my right hand only.
    But its pretty easy!

8. Wydern

Wydern Loaded Pockets

Just me then.:)

SAKplumber likes this.
  9. oranges

oranges Loaded Pockets

:censored: it. Thanks SAKplumber. I think I am going to have to buy it and try it.

Look for it used on the BST section in a month.

BubbaFett and SAKplumber like this.
  10. Leverdoug

Leverdoug Loaded Pockets

It won't burn the blades, I have one and use it alot. Mostly on hoof knives, nothing better for these knives. The only problem I've had with it on pocket knives is I tend to mess the tips up. I don't what I'm doin wrong but I don't sharpen my good knives on it. Ill try to get a pic of what I mean. [​IMG]
    Sorry, terrible pic, but it kinda flattens/chisels the tip. I'm sure it's something I'm doing. I would definatly recommend it though, it puts a great edge on your knives. Just practice with it on cheapos or knives you don't care about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SAKplumber likes this.
  11. Iragon

Iragon Loaded Pockets

Just got the regular edition couple days ago, it works great!

Gotta be a little careful with some blade shape tho, you might message up the tip.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

12. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

You've got a very nice edge on that blade. Maybe you show a bit more of your leatherworks? I had this idea, too, but I'm waiting to find a really dry and hard piece before I do it. How about the smell from sweating/wet hands? Sometimes leather has this smell that I really don't like, even though I work with leather nearly every day...

13. SAKplumber
    • The Omnia Paratus

Well, firstly, thats the extent of my leatherworks:rofl:and secondly, I changed it out halfway through the pictures I took yesterday. I took the Manix2 to work yesterday and I realized the reason was the slippery leather scale. I put the factory one back on it and I like it better.
    As far as "my leatherwork" goes...thats it :D

Adahn and vegassprky like this.
  14. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

Any sharpening device that moves faster than your hand can move definitely has the potential to burn an edge, whether you can visually see it or not. Touching the blade isn't going to tell you anything, it's the tiny teeth of the edge that you can't see that get burned. Spyderco produce some of the sharpest factory edges on the market and their edges hold an edge less than the steel is capable of due to burnt edges. I also laughed at the "superior convex edge" part, that's hilarious. I guess if you're really that pressed for time then this is a great tool, I could see using it for axes and lawnmower blades, but not on my expensive pocket knives.

15. SAKplumber
    • The Omnia Paratus

I like it. Especially for rolled edges, like on my ElCheapo steak knives. Its really good for putting an edge on something, but as far as keeping it sharp ,I can only imagine that the finest belt is great for that...so far, I haven't dulled anything that I've sharpened with it C:D

vegassprky likes this.
  16. SamHill

SamHill Loaded Pockets

I have been too worried I'd take off too much metal with the work sharp.
    I ended up with a wicked edge system, very expensive, but it produces near-perfect edges.

Sak might I suggest Lansky Croc Sticks (ceramic rod sharpener) it only costs about 14 bucks and it's great for touch-ups.
    Check it out, I think it would be better than re-grinding your edge with the belt just for a small sharpening.

Adahn and SAKplumber like this.
  17. Leverdoug

Leverdoug Loaded Pockets

Don't worry about taking too much metal off. Use only the burgundy and grey belts and you won't take much off. The green one will remove some material though, but the instructions state that the green belt is for axes, shovels, and mower blades.

I sharpen my hoof knives (stainless and carbon blades both) about two or three times a week on one and they still last over a year before they are too worn out to resharpen. That's alot of sharpening on pretty thin blades, so it doesn't remove much metal. I go five passes each side with the burgundy belt then 10 passes each side with the grey an that's all you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. kdurt
    • +1 Supporter

kdurt Loaded Pockets

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Once I found aftermarket belts to fill in the huge jumps in grit I was able to nail mirrored edges. Makes all belts last much longer. I think when re-profile is needed I use a total of 7 steps in in grit to get final edge. They definitely will slice newspaper push cut style no problem. Hair jumps off the arm with no drag.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

gemini, Lou_G and SAKplumber like this.
  19. kdurt
    • +1 Supporter

kdurt Loaded Pockets

I pull straight back then lift handle as I near the tip I stop and let go of the trigger as tip just barely makes it to the belt. I also find myself putting a little English on the angle for the tip area. I have the standard work sharp and killed some tips before I learned go not let the belt flex around the tip. Had a couple old butcher knifes I just played with for a few hours grinding GBE tips off then trying to get the pointiest sharpest tips possible. Finally got the feel for it. I have no problem using it on any of my knives now. Guaranty of a crazy sharp repeatable edge. Aftermarket belts are a huge advantage much greater margin for error!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Leverdoug and SAKplumber like this.
  20. SAKplumber
    • The Omnia Paratus

I know exactly what you mean when you explain it that way. I do the same with my tips..."english".

About the after market belts...The Ken Onion Edition came with 5 different belts. What is the advantage of aftermarket belts? Are they better or is it that the regular edition Work Sharp comes with less maybe? IDK, I just wanna make sure I'm not missing out on something :D