1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The WORK SHARP

Discussion in 'Sharpening Stuff -- Stones, Strops, and Systems' started by SAKplumber, Apr 15, 2014.

1. SAKplumber
    • The Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

A couple of members have the Work Sharp (Ken Onion Edition), which I am very seriously leaning toward, and I was hoping I could see some more of it after seeing the pics in this thread about the Wicked Edge System.

Can anyone help a brutha out and show their Work Smart off? TIA:D

2. TRDmatrix

TRDmatrix Loaded Pockets

I've seen them in the stores but I never could jump on a gimmicky belt sander for $120. I know you can get it cheaper online, I just decided to get a cheap harbor freight 1" x 30" belt sander (since I also needed it for other metal working) and ordered some norax belts. I can post some updates after I try sharpening some of my kitchen knives after the belts arrive.

3. Cujobob

Cujobob Loaded Pockets

I considered one for a while but it's highly recommended you don't use it as you can remove far too much metal if you're not careful and can potentially overheat the edge.

A144 and Adahn like this.
  4. Chief Brody

Chief Brody Loaded Pockets

I opted for the Cabela's exclusive edition of the Worksharp. It's the standard model - not the Ken Onion - and it came with a storage case, extra belts, and an additional belt guide. Oh yeah, and it's green. So far, I've been very happy with it, all my knives are paper or shaving sharp. Happy customer.

SAKplumber likes this.
  5. Sonoran Tree
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Sonoran Tree Loaded Pockets

Not sure what you wanted to see, but here are some photos:

[​IMG][​IMG]

SAKplumber, Lou_G and Nick4305 like this.
  6. Sonoran Tree
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

This thing won't burn up your blades! The steel doesn't even feel warm, so don't worry about that. At also doesn't take off too much metal... My dad had a pocket knife that virtually turned into a toothpick from sharpening with a stone, so I guess it is possible but not a cause for concern. I really like the Work Sharp!

SAKplumber and AK Adventurer like this.
  7. Cujobob

Cujobob Loaded Pockets

It absolutely can burn up your blades as has been shown by many factories who have sent out knives with burnt edges. Whether it will is often user dependent or possibly related to what steel is being used (takes longer to put an edge on more wear resistant steel).

8. Samuel Sturm

Samuel Sturm Loaded Pockets

I own a base model work sharp. I can understand the complaints against it, but I recommend they be taken with a grain of salt. Like any power tool, there are considerations to be taken in regards to proper use and safety.

The blade should be in constant motion across the belt, unless you are deliberately trying to reshape the blade. I usually move at a speed of about 2 inches a second, and never more than 3 passes in a row on each side. Also, if you're worried about removing to much metal, go to a finer belt!

One thing I don't like is that there is only one speed available. The speed provided is good for general sharpening, but too fast for finishing work. Finally, the belts provided with the unit don't last forever. And replacements are way too expensive. However, MicroMesh makes belts in a wide variety of grit sizes and types. You can get 15 belts for about 15 dollars after shipping from them.

Overall, I'd recommend the unit, though I think a basic bench top belt unit with varible speeds and a platen would be more useful for everything but the sub 3" blade range. If you want to do convex edges and recurves, you want a belt sander.

Adahn and SAKplumber like this.
  9. SAKplumber
    • The Omnia Paratus

Thanks for the pics Sonoran Tree:)

Cuhobob, I can see how, if done incorrectly, it could take off too much metal. I think I could deal with it.

Samuel Strum, thanks for the info. Especially about the belts from MicroMesh.

And , yes, I was planning to re grind a couple of blades to convex. I think after I play with it for a while and sharpen all of the ElCheapo steak knives in the "h-iz-ouse".

10. Sonoran Tree
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

It won't burn up your blades, but yes, it COULD. Like everything else, there is a procedure to follow - it is very carefully explained with the materials provided. Follow the procedure and it won't burn up your blades. I never felt any of the multitude of blades (and different types of steel) even get warm.

The "Ken Onion" model has variable speed, which is why I got it instead of the standard. There are extra belts included, which is also a plus. But, the belts don't last forever, so that is not a reason to upgrade. Glad to know about the alternate supplier for belts! Thank you!

11. SAKplumber
    • The Omnia Paratus

Well I bought the Ken Onion Edition and a 6 pack of extra blades:)

Pics to follow :)

CatsTide likes this.
  12. CSM-101
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • The Omnia Paratus

CSM-101 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I think @Echo2 has thought about buying one of these. At the furniture factory I used to work at our shop had a bench grinder with an adjustable jig on it (Search Wolff Industries Twice as Sharp) that we used to sharpen 12" shears... that thing was wicked cool. Yeah, you could take off a lot of metal if you didn't know what you were doing but all it takes is a little practice to get razor sharp scissors. At the very least you could use this to reprofile a blade and then keep it up with a Sharpmaker.

SAKplumber likes this.
  13. SAKplumber
    • The Omnia Paratus

14. Freman

Freman Loaded Pockets

Saw it at the knife shop where I went to get a Pocket Bushman today. It looks like a good piece of kit.

15. Lou_G

Lou_G Banned

It's been on my wishlist for awhile. I can't sharpen knives freehand for the life of me. Just trying to convince my better half that I need to spend $150 on one of these is the fun part. Maybe for my birthday or Christmas I'll get lucky!

CSM-101 and RoadWizard like this.
  16. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

Very nice Quick Start Guide. But could anyone tell me why to use different systems on the belt grits? P120 is 12o The "P" system is the standard on all sandpapers and belts that I know, the other one would measure the particle size in mycrons which is used on some whetstones and diamond stones. But what is this "X" standard on the finer belts? I can only find it as a system for the backing. Maybe I'm just nitpicking, but it's a bit weird to me.

17. SAKplumber
    • The Omnia Paratus

It took a dozen passes or so to re-profile the blade, but I went straight for it this morning and jusped in feet first with my ZT 0561.

All I can say is...OH. WOW. :eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A little paper shaving...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What time is it?

[​IMG]

Its time to be skeered! 'Cause this thing is scary sharp!

[​IMG]

18. Sonoran Tree
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

19. SAKplumber
    • The Omnia Paratus

So I finally got around to sharpening some other knives::rolleyes:
    Wifey asked me to sharpen some kitchen knives(there were two in the drawer, the rest were in the dishwasher)) so I took the opportunity to touch up the Vic Spirit's 'butter blade' and then convex my trusty Moonglow Manix2. :)

[​IMG]

Look how dull the Vic was! :eek:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One pass on the course belt...

[​IMG]

The sun wasn't even out and I was out on the deck working on these for no longer than 15 minutes...even having gone through each of the five grades of belt...

[​IMG]

gemini, scbubba and Lou_G like this.
  20. Wydern

Wydern Loaded Pockets

More finished edges pics please!!:)

gemini likes this.