1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The "What have you got in the mail?" thread, part four.

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by cowsmilk, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@Guerilla: you want to talk old Nikon? How about a trusty REALLY old FE2? With assorted lenses, filters, flash? :)

Back in the day it was THE camera....!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

2. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

New phone arrived today. I've been banging on about not wanting a phone that doesn't have a removable battery or an SD card slot, but I don't have much choice these days, dammit. Since Samsung recently got into bed with Microsoft, and I HATE Macroshaft with a passion only equal to some peoples' hatred of Marmite, Samsung neatly shuffled themselves off the options table. *Crash, tinkle, tinkle, sound of a trash can lid landing on the ground*

So, the shortlist was, well, short. It had to be capable of 5G when that comes around (I'm in England, and use 'Three' as my mobile - cellphone - carrier), and I really didn't like most of the very few options available. This left the recommendation of a friend in the USA who knows more about these things than I do, who recommended a Google Pixel 3a XL.

This arrived today, and while I'm not going to be using it today (no time before I have to go to work, darn it), I plan on getting to know it tonight, when I get home again [​IMG]:)

So far, I'm liking what I've seen :D

[​IMG]

Stormdrane and SOS24 like this.
  3. CV801

CV801 Loaded Pockets

Well I guess it didn't exactly come in the mail but just picked this up.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

Quick update to the Pixel. Oops time. Seems the SIM card on the pixel is a Nano-Sim (really bleedin' small). The one on my current Samsung Note 3 is a Micro-Sim (not so bleedin' small). So I've had to order a replacement from Three. They're replied to tell me it's on the way, should be here sometime mid week or so. Ho-hum.

5. Moshe ben David

Murphy Lives!

Moshe ben David

RogerStenning likes this.
  6. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

Tell me about it slaps forehead :frantic::rofl_revamped:

Moshe ben David likes this.
  7. dischu

dischu Loaded Pockets

I got a new beer stein. It should keeps beer cold for 7 hours but I have no idea how to check that ;)

[​IMG]

8. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

I want one of these. Does it have fly lid? I currently use Stubbie-holders or a Clean Kanteen with a wide mouth to preserve the nectar in adverse conditions ( Above 30 or below 25 degrees Celsius ambient )

tbzbbt

9. Moshe ben David

Who would want to? :)

Moshe

10. dischu

dischu Loaded Pockets

Moshe ben David, ran23 and Stormdrane like this.
  11. Moshe ben David

I just have to figure out (a) which version to get; (b) how many (which would allow of course several versions :) ), and (c) where to get it/them!

And there is also a Stanley 'pint' for that classic 'proper British pint'! Sigh. Decisions decisions!
    [​IMG]

Yes that is a bottle cap lifter positioned in the lid!

Pic via Amazon (try not to be shocked!)

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Stormdrane and RogerStenning like this.
  12. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

A quick update on the new Pixel 3a XL I got - the Nano-SIM arrived, and when I tried to get it registered on my account, the thing wouldn't register. Turns out that after activating it, I should have rebooted the phone. Oops :blink: It took a visit to the Three shop (that's the name of the cellular provider (what we call Mobile service here) to provide that damnably irritating solution. Who knew a Windoze process would get an android phone back on track?! :rofl:

Anyhow, the hone's performing just great, so I recommend a Pixel 3a XL to you for your consideration as your next Android phone :D

kikaida likes this.
  13. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

I have so much crap inbound right now, I actually feel bad about it.
    Some of it is actually useful items that I don´t already own, but there´s also a watch, a flashligt and a pen, so ...yeah.

Making this post not to brag about my purchases, but to mark the date and make a promise. Not buying any EDC items for the next month. Any purchase after that, until end of the year shall be financed by selling redundant items.

I like the self-reliance aspect of EDC, and I like quality items, but I also can get carried away when I start droodling out new ideas and systems in my head. Items acumulate quickly, but I´m not really a hoarder or even a collector*. It´s time to get clean out the closet.

*I must admit I have become sort of a knife collector. I find some kind of joy in having some reference items fjust for their significance in the knife community. Not because I need them. I must be able to use them though - no safe queens.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  14. Moshe ben David

On the way from BHQ: Case Tribal Lock with Smooth Antique Bone covers. I'd sworn off Case due to a run of badly sharpened receipts; but after checking reviews especially at BF, decided to give a try one more. Seems to be a consensus over there that given the Tribal Lock is a Tony Bose collaboration that Case production is more attentive.... I sure hope so!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

15. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

New fountain pen to add to the collection. Made by the folks who made my first recent fountain pen, the Platinum "Preppy", this is the Platinum "Prasir", in green.

And yes, my handwriting is still rubbish, but it's a VAST improvement on what it was before I got the Preppy [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

I already had the power bank, cables, and wall wart. The case is the new thing, and organises them nicely :D

[​IMG]
    • RAVPower RP-PB41 26800mAh power bank plus third-party case.
    • Four red cables are nylon braided USB-3 to USB-C, lengths 0.3m, 1m, 2m, and 3m.
    • The red/black multi-end nylon braided cable is a USB to USB-C / Lightning / MicroUSB, length 1.2m.
    • The black thing is a Mu UK wallwart to 2.1Amp Dual USB.
    All of the above has been sourced over time from Amazon in the UK.

(Edited to correct a typo - it's a 2.1 Amp supply, NOT 1.2 Amps! oops!)

#5856 RogerStenning, Aug 28, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
    Stormdrane and kikaida like this.
  17. Moshe ben David

Two on the way:

From BHQ: Case Tribal Lock with yellow (not sure they're Delrin!) covers, SS blade... eta Monday 9/9/2019! I have a 'thing' for traditional yellow covers on traditional pocket knives.

From DLT: GEC Northfield pattern '12' toothpick; copperhead pony cut bone covers, carbon steel blade; eta probably Wednesday 9/11!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

twin63 likes this.
  18. flux

flux Loaded Pockets

Got three nice things this morning..

Ruike 801 Flipper.
    Gerber Dime.
    Sofirn BLF SP36 with 4xLH351d High CRI LEDs and Anduril UI. Including 3x18650 batteries and USB-c charging.

It is a good morning

19. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

Quick update. I failed miserably.

HeadOffice, ran23, ccwaters and 3 others like this.
  20. Stormdrane

Stormdrane Loaded Pockets

In today's mail: a couple of hanks of paracord, a Gerber Mullet keychain multitool, some P-38 can openers, and a good condition used Victorinox Climber SAK from fleabay (spent my birthday money that showed up early this year, lol). :)
    [​IMG]
    I'll make some lanyards/key fobs/zipper pulls to go with the P-38 can openers before I donate them to be handed out with canned goods from the church food pantry/homeless ministry, or to the local Veterans Support Group which got the last batch that I put together..