1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The "What have you got in the mail?" thread, part four.

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by cowsmilk, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Ram Man

Ram Man Loaded Pockets

I got notice yesterday that my Minh Do Gen IV pry bar has shipped. I hope it does not become a victim of the impending postal strike in Canada. The talisman I bought my wife and some hanks are also still en route. Not a fan of being held hostage. I can wait for my stuff (like a kid waits for Santa), but the talisman for my wife is a bit important to me (she is about to start volunteering with a dog rescue and we just lost one of our dogs to old age).

To recap all the items that fit "what do you have in the mail":
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Tallboyjim and Nick4305 like this.
  2. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

So yesterday i received a shovel in the mail i sort of bought blind from this dutch auction site. The only picture the seller had was a very dark one in a corner of a garage but it looked like a nice compact little shovel to me. A couple bucks later and i was the proud new owner of what i thought to be either a dutch or german military vehicle shovel in the following 'like new' condition;
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Old, used, rusted full with character i hope in serviceable condition. At least this shovel had enough layers of paint on it;
    [​IMG]

I guesstimate around a dozen layers different shades of OD green, and the handle also had a white and a red layer in between!

After the initial clean i found a little surprise tho, this is not a European shovel at all... This is an Ames #2!
    [​IMG]

Ill bring her back to life and she will be our camping shovel!!

Blackheart, ran23, Nick4305 and 2 others like this.
  3. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

4. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

5. Fire Fighter

Fire Fighter Loaded Pockets

Last 3 mail deliveries. In the process of swapping old gear out of my fire fighting kit and EDC bag (Rush 12) and replacing it with new gear.
    [​IMG]

UmbertoTortallini and ran23 like this.
  6. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

If it were me, I wouldn't be able to resist being a smart@ss. I'd contact the seller and ask them "Like new condition as compared to what?"

Well, there is some amount of history, there.

Good for you. If you can't remove the handle, maybe you can mask it off with duct tape and take it somewhere to have it sandblasted and save yourself some time/effort.

7. Westerdutch

Oh haha that 'like new' is something i made up as i thought it was very appropriate for the condition the shovel was in, it certainly wasn't advertised as such when i bought it ;) For five bucks i got way more than i was expecting. After removing the paint on the handle i dug up some patent numbers and managed to roughly date the shovel to 1937. So given its age i think it was looking pretty good! Most of the work on it is done by now and i'm waiting for the paint to dry;

[​IMG]

The paint will eventually settle at a nice semi-gloss black. I don't buy this kind of old crap out of any practical sense , i just love to 'restore' things with history and or a story behind em and then use em like they were supposed to be used! Also i feel that old tools have a certain beauty about em that their younger brethren made in today's throwaway culture lack... hard to put my finger on but i can already tell you right now that using this shovel will give me a nice warm feeling that none of my brand new shovels give me. That is, until it breaks... and it probably will (hey, 80 year old wood!!), then ill be mighty pissed. Yeah, i have strange hobbies.

8. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

Very nice. I can appreciate old tools. Around here (you may have the same thing), there are eateries that hang "old-timey" stuff on the walls for "atmosphere". I'm embarrassing to be with in these places. "Hey look! It's a perfectly good 6-foot 2-man crosscut saw! ...and these people just hung it on the wall as a ornament! Knock some of the rust off and sharpen it up a bit and it would work good as new!". ...and look over there! Farrier's pliers! Those things don't wear out! I suppose they think horses don't need shoes anymore!" ;)

If old wood were a problem, my house is in big trouble. Give it some linseed oil. If it breaks, write to Ames and complain. Maybe they'll send you a new handle. :p

9. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

Kingston site says I should have 16 GB for my PC build right now.

Nick4305 likes this.
  10. Westerdutch

Check and check! After sanding putting luke warm and slightly thinned boiled linseed oil on there was priority #1! And i really hope that the wood in your house doesn't get the water abuse a shovel gets or you might want to call a roofer ;)

But yeah, we have those food places too where they ornamentize perfectly fine stuff i totally see myself still use. And the most stupid thing ever is that if you go to an antiques store you will pay premium prices for those tools nowadays just because of that. Such a shame, tools should be used.

Blackheart likes this.
  11. Diezel

Diezel Loaded Pockets

Just got this today.
    More posts on my thread to follow as I make stuff. [​IMG]

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

12. Fire Fighter

Red and black Rothco paracord. Just placed an order. Thanks.

13. shadowolf713

shadowolf713 Loaded Pockets

WA 1 ewes Sq t

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

14. Colt Seavers

Colt Seavers Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Got a new RugGear dual sim phone. It's pretty :censored: solid. The torch is really quite bright and the speaker is super loud for its size. IP68 to so it should do well with the British summer !!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Runs android OS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Fire Fighter

Lumintop Prince Copper finally arrived in the mail this week, Friday. Intercepted by Australian Border Force ??? and then on to me.
    [​IMG]

RogerStenning and Stormdrane like this.
  16. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

From ITS Tactical -

Arrived:
    BogotaTitanium Flat Lock Picks
    ITS Mini Survival Kit
    EZ Decoders
    Quick Sticks

In transit:
    Visible Cut Away Practice Lock
    ITS EDC Trauma Kit
    ITS Compass Zipper Pull (for EDC bag shoulder strap)

17. Kev2488

Kev2488 Loaded Pockets

Got a Casio DW6900 solar atomic coming Thursday. It's Prime day and it was 30% off I couldn't pass up a $90 for $62.

18. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I spent some time at the Prime day event also. Got a Kershaw SS Leek at an additional 25% off; it should be here Thursday.

But the best is a Seiko SNE050 solar; not only 30% off due to Prime day but I also signed for an Amazon cc which came with a $70 'gift' card. Bottom line? The watch costs me $0.00 ! It'll be here Friday.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Kev2488 and Colt Seavers like this.
  19. Larry Larson

Larry Larson Loaded Pockets

I kept watching to see if Amazon would put one of the items in my wish list on sale for Prime day but alas, not to be. But as my b-day was just the day before Prime-Day, my wife said "Go ahead, order it".
    So, I just pulled the trigger on a DMT D6FC 6-Inch Dia-Sharp Double-Sided (course/fine) sharpening stone. I've had two of the 1"x4" (1 course, 1 fine) sharpeners that can be used in the DMT Aligner but they are a little hard to hold for use on larger blades, such as kitchen knives. The small one's are great for portability and EDC and I've used them for almost 22 years. I expect this one to last as just long but it will stay at home. It will be a little too large to carry as EDC but will take minimal room on one of the kitchen drawers.
    [​IMG]

20. Archon0242

Archon0242 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ruru and jdcovington1122 like this.