1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

"The Website That Took Over Men's Media" article

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by oke, Mar 15, 2019.

?

What's the main reason behind the gear you buy/collect/use?

1. I've narrowed down the gear I use to what is essential for work and/or daily living

27.3%
  2. I often upgrade and replace my gear to what is best for what I need to do

36.4%
  3. The gear I have includes both what I use and what I collect

36.4%
  4. I mainly collect gear and do not use a majority of the collection

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

Got an email mentioning this article: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/wjm4yn/the-website-that-took-over-mens-media-v26n1

I think that, even though the site referred to in the article started before this one (a whois lookup shows it was created in '05 versus '06 for this one), the author should've mentioned the influence/effect of other sites as well.

And, why'd the terms 'everyday carry' and EDC catch on, when 'daily carry' or its abbreviation would be shorter/less to say? Seems more efficient, yet I guess DC would just confuse folks... :D

Also, related to the 2 types of personalities the author recognizes in the article (those who really depend on their gear to survive or for their livelihood, and others with disposable income who can afford to have nice gear, yet may not really need or use them in their vocations), what's the reason for the gear you choose to buy/collect/use?

Just wonderin'.

:cool:

2. CV801

CV801 Loaded Pockets

I buy it to use but I do like nice gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moshe ben David and echo victor like this.
  3. Gary Gross

Gary Gross Loaded Pockets

Working in an office, most of my gear rarely gets used. But I have plenty of it, rotate daily and always have 90% of what I need/want on a daily basis.

4. Getahl

Getahl Loaded Pockets

I buy what I think I want (shinies!), but only really carry what I end up using on a regular basis.

FiaOlleDog and Moshe ben David like this.
  5. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

Sooo, got a related question - do any of y'all have stuff ya keep with you, which may or may not have much of a functional purpose?

For instance, there's a blank billetspin tungsten carbide (w/ no hole) "worry token" in the jeans little 5th pocket, so it's there whenever. Does make an impromptu mirror, though, if needed.

And similarly, had a foreverspin top as sort of a "totem" (name the movie for 1,000 imaginary internet points!). However, got the new tungsten foreverspin ingotstand for it, so might not keep it as edc when said ingotstand arrives.

6. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Form follows function. It doesn't have to be exotic or expensive (although I'll go there, if necessary), but it absolutely has to be durable and WORK--every time. I do keep an eye out for anything new that might fit my needs. I'm a minimalist by nature, so everything fits in my pockets. In general, I'm more analog than digital.

tera tike likes this.
  7. Bad Company

Bad Company Loaded Pockets

Great article.

I used to visit EveryDayCarry back in the day.
    Now, it's an Amazon store masquerading as a so-called forum. Look, I'm a capitalist just like everyone else, but Bernard's site is now just a blatant Amazon store selling alot of crap, and they coincidentally review/recommend the very same crap also being paid by sponsors.

8. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

I didn't vote because none of the choices applied to me. I have carried knives and tools and useful things in my pockets since I was a kid in the 70s. EDC as a label did not exist. I wasn't emulating anyone; I just felt more comfortable when I had my stuff on me. I still feel that way. I always carry a knife and I have tools on my keys. If I go somewhere for an extended period I have a backpack with more gear. Sometimes I buy new stuff when I think it will be useful.

9. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Well said! For the most part describes me as well, except that....

I have more than my share of 'packrat' tendencies...especially for things like knives, all manner of pens and writing instruments; and somewhat on watches... I just don't have the budget to allow me to indulge for the higher end of these categories. Which is probably, now that I think of it, a good thing! :)

Since here we're only talking about things to Every Day Carry.... that pretty much excludes books and music CDs and the like! A whole other catergory to consume budget! Actually two categories...

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

MatBlack likes this.
  10. Sentinel-14

Sentinel-14 Loaded Pockets

My EDC consists of both things that I collect and things I use. Mostly things I use, but even my collectables are to be used now and then. I don't like the idea of 'safe queens' or other kinds of collectables that do nothing but gather dust.

I do not carry anything that does not have some kind of purpose. No bits or baubbles, no challenge coins of fidget devices... only things that have a use get carried.

What's the reason for what I buy/collect/use? Simple: I want it. The whys might be different though.

I have only a few kinds of gear that I 'collect', so to speak: knives, pens, and watches.
    With knives, I like to try different things: different steels, locks, handle materials, blade shapes, etc.
    With pens, it's somewhat similar: different actuation methods (twist, click, cap, bolt, etc.) different materials, different cartridges, different sizes for different situations, etc.
    With Watches, it's all about style. I have a dive watch, a church watch, a chronograph, a bomb-proof work watch... My chrono is somewhat collectable, and belonged to my grandfather, so I wont wear it in places where it might get damaged, thus the bomb-proof work watch. The dive watch I bought because it was pretty, and the church watch because it's understated. Even have a few early 20th-century antiques, but those are looking to get sold as I just dont wear them. See above opinion regarding safe queens and dust collectors.

But that's it. The rest of my gear is more or less purpose-driven by the attitude of "I want to be covered in the event of _____." I have pulled splinters and trimmed broken fingernails with the manicure kit I carry. I've cut a birthday cake with the fixed blade that stays in my pack because the planners forgot. I've helped friends charge their phones with my phone charger, staved off hunger-induced meltdowns from my nephews by giving them a clif bar to split until lunch time... The gear I carry is to allow me to handle a given situation right then and there without having to go look for something that may not be available.

Similar anecdote: My brother and his family were hiking a local park once and one kid developed a spontaneous nosebleed. My SIL went into a panic trying to find anything to clean him up with and wondering if they needed to leave and go to the hospital, while my brother calmly walked over to the car, got the first aid kit he built out of the trunk, grabbed a roll of gauze and shoved it up the boy's nose. Crisis averted and the hike continued. He was able to handle the situation calmly because he had what he needed to take care of the problem. He also told me the boys didn't freak out (unlike their mother) because he wasn't freaking out: they saw that Dad was calm so it must not be that bad.

I dont EDC enough stuff for every possibility, but enough to deal with the most common inconveniences I expect to encounter. I dont have a trauma kit, just a boo-boo kit with bandaids and antibiotic cream. I only carry a couple day's worth of basic OTC meds in case I get a headache, or heartburn. I've got a pen to write with and a notepad to write on, a knife to cut things, a light to illuminate... etc. I dont go full Batman but I also never go pockets-only. What I have suits my purposes, and it leaves an impression on the people around me. My younger nephew is 11 and wants an EDC bag of his own: lucky for him there's a gear show in town a couple of weeks from now. :)

11. Captainkirk

Captainkirk Loaded Pockets

Inception

Captainkirk

12. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Used to carry a Peso with a hole drilled in it on my keychain...sort of a good luck piece from my father-in-law. I cut down my EDC a bit, so I still have it, but don't carry it anymore. Everything I have these days has a purpose (some used more frequently, of course).

13. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

Sweet, thanks fer playin'! Don't spend 'em all in one place. :D

And ze Ingotstand got here, so there's one less thing to carry (the other tops are in their original packaging 'cept when I get the inkling to spin 'em).

And it's cool to hear/read what other folks have as edc, or what sort of items they prioritize as such; thanks for sharin'! Also, my bad that the multiple choice options don't cover all circumstances, as I didn't actually consider all situations/possibilities.