1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The Victorinox Handyman

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by sebastiantorres, Feb 2, 2009.

1. max6166

max6166 Loaded Pockets

Removing scales is pretty easy. You just slip something thin underneath them and gently pry until the scale pops off.

The scales are held on by a few holes that snap over the bushings. If you are careful, you can often remove the scales so that you can even reuse them later.

You can just use a SAK blade to do it, or anything of similar thickness. It is easier to get under the scale if you start near the toothpick or tweezer hole.

I also highly recommend Rotokid! :thumbsup:

2. Manatakui

Manatakui Loaded Pockets

So long as you don't snap the scales, they're reusable with a bit of glue in certain spots. *nods*

3. max6166

max6166 Loaded Pockets

Yes, as long as you don't actually break the scales, you can just glue them back on.

Sometimes, however, you can even just pop the scales back on without glue. But you can only do that if you don't damage the holes that snap over the bushings.

That's a hit or miss operation though. It is not worth worrying about since you can just use glue anyway... :)

4. Aaron SBT

Aaron SBT Empty Pockets

great writeup, I've been carrying a Vic Tinker, which came packaged with a Vic slipjoint gardening knife.
    :cool:

5. sebastiantorres

sebastiantorres Loaded Pockets

Well, I live in Venezuela, so no Rotokid for me ;( Thanks anyway!

I read what you and Manatakui wrote and now I know how to change the scales, it was very helpful!

I practiced with a couple of Vic Classics I have... I modded a Rambler and now it's black!

I'll probably buy a SAK Compact to use its scales on my Handyman, I think it's the cheapest SAK with the Plus scales. Maybe I have luck and find one black!

6. sebastiantorres

There's no need to glue them, I already checked that out. The scales fit tight on those holes. If glued, the scales might be difficult to take off in a future when a change would be needed.

7. Manatakui

Manatakui Loaded Pockets

Ah, I meant for if the holes were sheared off in the scale removal process. :)

And actually, RotoKid ships internationally, so you could still order from him, if you want. *shrugs* :)

[Edit: The Compact does look nice; I'm thinking of getting one and probably a Farmer sometime soon. ^^;]

8. sebastiantorres

Well, it turns out that I found a NIB SAK Compact at a good price and just bought it to mod my Handyman...

I took the back scale off from the Compact and put it on the Hanydman, so now I could say I have a SAK Handyman Plus because of the pen slot on it. After a while I realized that I could also change the scales of my SAK Ranger because to be honest I never liked much the Camping and tent logo on the original ones. So I did it too. Now they look like this:

[img width=640 height=480]http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii21/sebastiantorres/IMG00021.jpg[/img]
    From left to right: SAK Ranger with a plain scale (taken from the Compact), SAK Handyman Plus with the pen slot (taken from the Compact) and SAK Compact with the Ranger scales...

And just another pic of my EDC Swiss Army Knife:

[img width=640 height=480]http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii21/sebastiantorres/IMG00025.jpg[/img]
    SAK Handyman Plus with its famous pliers and the Inova clip

9. temujin

temujin Uber Prepared

Fantastic review! Like you, I now work in an environment where it's more practical to carry a SAK than a multitool. I opted for a WorkChamp though.

10. DrHanz

DrHanz Empty Pockets

I like the Handyman too. It is a bit like my SwissChamp, that I still love most of all my SAK's, but in real life I hardly ever need magnifying glasses, let alone a fishing scale thingy. So the SwissChamp I keep in its box on my desk and the Handyman goes out with me.

The Handyman has the essential 'serious' tools, the plier, saws, screwdrivers and with the Plus Scales that I added, it is a nifty toolbox in a swiss package that fits in the little moneypocket of my jeans.

11. Stutoffee

Stutoffee Loaded Pockets

Just re-read this post & nowadays I EDC a blummin' SWISS CHAMP!!!!!!!!!!!

Why? The Handyman was very nearly as good (as i stated in my earlier post) so what made me move up to the (larger) Champ?
    Time for a re-think methinks.

12. Jean

Jean Loaded Pockets

Signed your petition ...

13. DrHanz

DrHanz Empty Pockets

I own a Handyman and a Swisschamp. The Swisschamp is an iconic knife for me, for me it is the Mother of All SAKs. But the Handyman is, well, it is a Swisschamp without the stuff you never actually use. Who REALLY needs a fish scaler, or a petite magnifier. I love my Swisschamp, but I use the Handyman.