1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The Ti-Pry: A brief review

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by Deaths Head, Jul 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deaths Head

Deaths Head Banned

I received this dandy tool from our own Mer a few days ago.  I have made carried it for a few days, and it looks like I can do a quick and dirty review on the item.
    First off, I had partaken in the development of this tool, so I was fully updated regarding the development of it.  Mer is the mastermind though.  He produced ideas into what you see now.
    We were trying to make tool that was large enough to do some serious work, but small and light enough that it can be worn on your keyring.  Also, we wanted the the Ti-Pry to be a capable SD impact tool.
    [​IMG]
    The tool is made of 1/8 inch plate of Grade 5 titanium.  Grade 5 titanium is also known as aircraft grade 6Al4V titanium which is much stonger than commercial or pure grade titanium. It is about is just under an inch wide and 4.5 inches long.  The dimensions are made so that the tool will protrude slightly on each side of the fist.  There also holes drilled into the Ti-Pry.  The holes are used to lighten the entire package, and also double for threading paracord for cord wraps and for retainment use a la koppo.  This allowed the Ti-Pry to weight just under an ounce.  0.9 oz to be exact.  Quite light for a tool capable of so much.
    So enough with the specs.  As soon as I received the tool, I put it to use almost immediately.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here it is if you were going to hold it for SD.
    [​IMG]

Here is a pic showing how the cord is used for koppo mode.
    [​IMG]

Any complaints on the Ti-Pry.  A few small ones.  The material could be a little bit thicker.  Also, the tool maybe a little to small for others with large hands so that would defeat the purpose of the koppo option.
    I believe a mini one is in the making as well.  You can ask Mer for the details.
    If any of you have any questions, let me know.  I'll keep all of you posted as I have more experience with this tool.  So far, I am quite satisfied with it.

2. greencobra

greencobra Loaded Pockets

Interesting review DH, thanks for putting it up. I like the concept of the tool very much and it looks like something else is going on the wish list.

3. Prof. Ed

Prof. Ed Empty Pockets

How does one obtain this toy?

4. Deaths Head

Deaths Head Banned

5. Mer

Mer Empty Pockets

Great review DH, thank you. O0

This was a fun project and I owe a lot of thanks to Deaths Head for his advice during its development.

Please feel free to ask any questions.

Thanks,

Mer

6. Gadget Guy

Gadget Guy Banned

I also bought the Ti-Pry and I would agree with everything that DH said. It is a quality tool and being made of titanium, a real joy to use. It is very light for it's size and overall I would rate it a 9 out of 10. O0 Mer for the great work! I can't wait for the mini...

7. Crocodilo

Crocodilo Loaded Pockets

Seems fantastic, and I do appreciate the thought gone into making this SD-ready!

8. Badgerboy

Badgerboy Empty Pockets

I'm not trying to create any strife but has anyone compared this great looking tool to Peter Atwood's Bug out bar ? There are similarities (except for the Ti) between the two and I'm wondering which would work better...or is that too subjective ?

Cliff

9. Mer

Mer Empty Pockets

Peter's Bug Out Bar is definitely a more heavy duty tool.

The Ti-Pry is 1.5" smaller, probably 1/3 - 1/4 the weight, made from thinner/different material and was meant for lighter duty, pocket carry, keychain carry and if necessary self defense.

In a head to head strength test the Bug Out Bar would definitely win.

I think each one can do the jobs they were intended for without a problem.

Mer

10. Peter Atwood

Peter Atwood Empty Pockets

11. Mer

Mer Empty Pockets

:notworthy:

12. The Closer

The Closer Loaded Pockets

13. Gadget Guy

Gadget Guy Banned

All I will say is that a pry tool is not a new concept. :-X I think i've said enough already! :-X

14. The Closer

:mad: I never said it was a new concept!!!!! I just feel that it is very similar to Peter's BOB and that it should have been ran by him first. That is all.

15. Mer

Mer Empty Pockets

Titanium Self Defense Prybar

I've been in contact with Peter and this will all be settled shortly.

Thanks everyone and my apologies for any trouble the Ti-Pry has caused.

You will definitely see an updated version geared toward the self defense market primarily with utility as a secondary function.

Please stay tuned as we both have great tools and ideas to offer.

Mer

16. The Closer

O0 Mer, your a stand-up guy!!!!!!!!!

17. Mer

Mer Empty Pockets

I'm definitely not out to make enemies here. Just to offer cool things to those who want them.

Misunderstandings are always going to happen so you have to be ready to deal with them as they come.

The faster they're resolved, the faster we can get back to making new and cooler stuff!

Thanks Again,

Mer

18. The Closer

Agreed!!!!!!!!! I love new concepts, especially in Ti.

19. CanDo

CanDo Empty Pockets

I must say that Peter's designs are excellent.... Not just the obvious 'well it works and looks cool' but many hours of independent thinking.
    You see, I'd buy one of Mr. Atwood's tools in a second... If only I had the money. So instead I had to make a similar item (I was going for something that could to the same jobs as the prybaby).

I fiddled with designs for hours trying to come up with something unique.AFTER COUNTLESS TINY TWEAKS, I SAT BACK AND SAID, "NOW THIS WILL BE EXCELLENT" THEN FAILED TO BE ABLE TO CONTINUE TO IMPROVE. AGAIN AND AGAIN THOUGH, IT CAME OUT EXACTLY LIKE THE PRYBABY OR KEYTON What does that tell you, right?
    Make no mistake, I'd never try to sell one of these.

But I'm not going to get involved with this dispute. It's just hard (impossible?) to be both original and 'perfrect' if you're dealing with tools that have functions similar to Mr. Atwood's.

20. Mer

Mer Empty Pockets

When I said shortly I meant shortly.

It's all settled.

There will be a modification to the screwdriver end. It won't be there anymore. Not sure what will replace it but I've got some cool ideas.

I'll make a new post in the Self Defense section of the forums with the new design once it's finalized.

Thanks again everyone for your patience while we worked this out.

Mer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.