1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The Thrifting Thread

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by ran23, Mar 18, 2015.

1. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

Christmas to me, I found some oxblood toe caps in my size and a pale yellow/ecru dress shirt in my preferred size(total: $46.75US). with suit, Christmas Eve dinner wear.

kertap75 likes this.
  2. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Riding in a friend's car, I asked if he had paper towel or napkin in the glove compartment that I may have so that I may wipe the moisture off my suit coat from the rain. I opened the compartment door and 4 brand new McGizmo (actually made by Suncor Stainless) mini clips fell out. He said he no longer needed them and just gave them to me after I bought him lunch at Chick Filet.:)

3. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

I got a charcoal suit mid year for funerals, wedding, etc., so I wore it today to the Men's Store to wish them Happy New Years. White BD, Yellow emblematic tie, burgundy cap toes, Yes, I was looking sharp today!

chas353, Moco, Sharaz_Jek and 2 others like this.
  4. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

I cleaned out a few things from my close, a trench coat, and Navy Blazer. Brought them down to my Men's Store and found a white pinstripe shirt in my size, tried it on with my rep tie, wore it for a while there, yes, I got it. I burned up a $25.00 Gift Card I had from Christmas. A J. Crew casual BD shirt also.

keith1234 and kertap75 like this.
  5. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

Stopped by my men's store, they were checking some shirts. ExOfficio long sleeve. A tan Medium caught my eye. May be $95.00 outdoor/summer shirt, I got it for $7.50. A few Large also in stock. Summer shirts in Winter?

victograph and keith1234 like this.
  6. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

I have been looking at this J Crew short Grey Jacket for a while. $45.00, They gave it to me today at $36.00, and I had store credit of $31.90. what a deal today.

7. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

Found a High Sierra Large 100% cotton Sweater in the back of a closet. Drenched it, and a hot dryer for 45 min. It fits. (38/medium these days).

8. chas353
    • In Omnia Paratus

chas353 Loaded Pockets

The other day my wife got a pair of Oakley sunglasses for $10 no marks or scratches at all, came home and looked them up retail for $150.

9. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

I saw some Joseph Abboud Suede wingtips today at my favorite consignment sore. About $100 in Men's Whse, store credit covered it for me today. Also saw Aldo two tone wingtips in 10D for $35.00. great shape. turns out the seller likes to buy shoes online and flips them here . Turns out I have two of his shoes so far. I want those Aldo's.

10. surefire7

surefire7 Loaded Pockets

Just found a pair of Mountain Hardware light grey hiking pants for $4.99. Local ARC store is great!

ran23 and NelsonIII like this.
  11. NelsonIII

NelsonIII Loaded Pockets

So, this is a bit of a weird one.

I have been toying with the idea of a new fanny pack, well, after a bit of looking on Amazon, I decided on the Maxpedition Gear Pili Versipack. It was lingering in my cart for about a week, and I just couldn't pull the trigger, its exactly what I wanted, yet I never bought it. I'm just weird like that, it drives me nuts sometimes. Well today was my birthday, my old lady and I had decided to go do a bit of shooting at the range (it was her first time and she was killing it, I was so proud of her). Afterwords we decided to hit up a thrift store, as its something we love to do because we like to save our money and buy secondhand as much as possible. I'm looking through the packs and bags obsessivley as I always do, and look to my left and there it is, the exact pack that had been sitting in my cart, brand new, same color and everything. I about shat myself, it was 4.50$, I saved about $30 bucks.

Pure. Luck. So lucky it kind of weirded me out. Anyone have anything like that ever happen? I also found a brand new Stearns Ripstop rain jacket in OD and black. It was a good day.

Last edited by NelsonIII, Feb 27, 2016
  12. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

My wife had bags and bags of clothes and shoes for donation, St Paul's some place north of town. they would not take clothes today, so we hit Salvation Army on the way home.

NelsonIII likes this.
  13. NelsonIII

NelsonIII Loaded Pockets

I have thankfully adapted a minimalist lifestyle unto my wife and kids so we have been making frequent trips to GW and others.

ran23 likes this.
  14. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

Dropped off donations for my wife, and found a medium navy pinstripe shirt for me and new Navy Silk suspenders. The Shirt is too big in the chest, it is a Tommy Hilfiger in good shape, washing it now to flip it later.

15. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

Last year my Men's Store gave me a $25.00 gift card for my b'day. This year, 62 yrs old, they said I could have ANY Jacket in the store, I knew what fit me already. I left with a Nordsturm Camel Hair Jacket, leather buttons, single vent, fits great. I picked out a brown knit silk tie to complete the look. Happy

camporama likes this.
  16. Omega Man
    • In Omnia Paratus

Omega Man Loaded Pockets

I scored a very nice Surefire Z3 at an estate sale for $5 :p Been waiting for a good snag for awhile.

camporama and ran23 like this.
  17. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

I AM SO HAPPY!!!!! Found this for a tenner;

[​IMG]

Yes, its the one on the bottom im so happy about. It will actually be replacing the one above it. I have used dremels for most of my life, the first one i ever owned was this exact model and it was perfect until a very unfortunate collision with concrete under whatever speed 3 floors of gravity will give such a device (dont ask). Ever since then i have been buying whatever model was most current but i honestly never liked em.... all modern consumer dremels are CRAP (yes you can quote me on that), they overheat, are unbalanced, noisy and wear faster than a flat tire on the highway.. and i have tried basically all models apart form the wall-units (the digital display one, i had a 3000, had a 4000, had a couple wireless ones) and hoping that the Chinese replicas would be half decent i even tried those but they all suck donkey balls.

I actually giggled when i spotted this in the thrift-store (wife didnt understand) and i giggled even harder when they allowed me to power the device to test it. Smoothest thing i ever heard, no vibrations whatsoever! Im usually not one to promote 'Made in USA' products at all but for this time ill hand it to you guys; Nice one!

Nick4305, malraux72, kertap75 and 4 others like this.
  18. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

My dremel find was a great box with room for all my favorite dodads. I giggled too and my husband just didn't get it. I'm a complete dremel head.

Sent by owl post.

ran23 likes this.
  19. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Oh I still need a nice box too. I'm looking into tackle boxes with those small compartments that are accessible from the outside but haven't found one that I like just yet..

20. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

Mine is 18 inches long and 6 wide with a removable tray on top filled with slots for bits. The area under the tray is big enough for two dremels, the 90 attachment, the snake, the roto zip deal, and several accessory boxes like the pop on saw things and the router bits. No idea what dremel originally came in it or if it was a special edition.