1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

the tale of the perfect EDC bag.

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Nickortizzle1035, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Nickortizzle1035

Nickortizzle1035 Loaded Pockets

I have been stuck in the epic search for my perfect EDC bag. i have tried the maxpedition Sitka (great organization, but too small), Eagle A-III Molle (not enough pockets), Maxpedition Pygmy Falcon (too small and not enough organization), and Maxpedition Kodiak (perfect organization, but the single shoulder strap gets a little uncomfortable) so now i am going to try the blackhawk cyclone. it looks like a nice size and it has a ton of molle attachment points and a decent amount of internal organization. so who here has a story of how they found their perfect EDC bag. i am curious as to which bag ended your search and what you were looking for in the bag that ended your search. it seems like this search may go on forever...

2. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

I just called it good and make it work with what I have and quit looking. Have not picked up another bag in over 3 years.

3. cap6888
    • In Omnia Paratus

cap6888 Loaded Pockets

Not that I have found the "Perfect" bag, but I did have my Kodiak modified so it has two regular shoulder straps. Best $50 I have spent.

4. Flexxx

Flexxx BST/Marketplace ban

I don't think there is a Perfect bag unless you making it to your specs...

5. jcw122

jcw122 Loaded Pockets

Seconded.

6. J4C3

J4C3 Guest

I tried Maxped Jumbo didnt like how it hung and got sick of being asked if it was a camera bag> Maxped remora pretty prefect for light summer type carry>Rush 24 very,very good except a tad to big didnt like the depth stuck out to far for EDC now used for extended trips only>Rush 12 wanting something like the Rush24 without the bulk, perfect

Well while its prefect i wanted something a little larger than Remora for light carry got a Noatak,awful :censored: thing looks great and works on paper but only holds a tad more than the Remora before one pocket filled is crushing another.

Gone back to Remora for light use and good old Rush12,tbh I was sold on the Noatak by reviews and pics i never really needed it just talked myself into it,i will keep the Noatak incase i get an ipad at xmas for the wife.

Why the Rush12 well its size is perfect big enough with bulk ,rides comfy,blends in ,has just the right amount of versatility & organisation ,only down point its a dog hair magnet.

I did try grimlocking the remora and then the Noatak to it moab style but it looked like a hunchback turtle,in the end the Rush12 was perfect but ego and greed made me keep on looking now ill just leave my set up and not read bag reviews lol

I will not try to fit everything into a bag or it gets too heavy then you tend to leave it hOme which defeats the purpose,go down to what you need plus just in case,not every :censored: thing you have,after all in the last 40 years how many times have i been stuck EDC wise for a water bladder? Never just buy a bottle of water as needed.

Finding what you need to carry and then whats best to do it may be half the fun mind you but i got to the point i was p1ssing myself of with it all.

Will turn the Rush24 into a home evac grab bag next week.

7. ZenEngineer

ZenEngineer Loaded Pockets

It's a never ending search. I've had my current bag for 1.5 years, and the one before that for 4 years. Though I am very happy with my current setup, I still troll the gear blogs, forums, and catalogs looking for something new that might be better.

8. Reloc8

Reloc8 Loaded Pockets

Mapped larkspur with some accessorising has been effectively perfect for my needs. Good size, wears small, unobtrusive messenger style, heaps of organisation and customisable as well.

9. dowtech

dowtech Loaded Pockets

Plus 1 on those who said there's no "perfect" EDC bag. However, based on what you've tried and found wanting, I'm surprised you haven't looked at the Maxpedition Falcon II. I bought mine years ago, and by dumb luck, it has been my primary EDC bag ever since. I've posted about it on several occasions. I also have used a lot of other bags: Fatboy, Jumbo, Colossus, NeatFreak, Proteus. Other than the Jumbo, which I bought used and subsequently gave away as a gift, I've repurposed the others. The Fatboy is now serving as my home defense grab bag, a concept I learned from Sootch00 on YouTube (I call it my "litany bag" as in "things that go bump in the night"). The Colossus is my DSLR camera bag. The NeatFreak I used as an admin pouch when I was doing PIO assignments on wildland fires (need a new mission for it!). The Proteus was a great security patrol bag on wildland fire details that I've since repurposed for a CERT light search and rescue bag. With most of the above, I frequently add the superb Janus for easily accessible essentials. It easily clips into the shoulder straps of the Fatboy and Colossus and the waist belt of the Proteus. In addition, I have a 2-inch webbing strap that I can use with the Janus to make a minimalist fanny pack. I only wish that the Falcon II had a 2-inch waist belt that I could clip the Janus into. This multi-bag approach works best if you use a modular approach (pocket organizers that can be easily switched among your main bags).

10. gdwtvb

gdwtvb Loaded Pockets

I have found mine...for right now. I went through many different bags and options before I found EDC forums. I mostly used repurposed camera bags. I liked the Max Jumbo and finally got up the money/motivation to order one. I had a couple problems before the Jumbo. First and foremost I was too much of a wuss to actually carry my 'manpurse' more than to and from the car.

Well after the major outlay of cash on the Jumbo I realized what I think is alot more important than everybody else. I loved the Jumbo and carried it for about a year and a half. I carried it everywhere. I had a couple minor problems with it. First it was too small to carry my Motorola Xoom that I got after carrying a purse for over a year. There was no good way to carry magazines. And finally when walking with my wife the Jumbo often knocked into her.

I moved to a Sitka and it is perfect. Yes it can get a little uncomfortable for long hikes, especially when overloaded. But that minor problem is easily outweighed buy the sheer convienience that no backpack can match. I keep my wallet in my Sitka. Having the ability of sliding it around to get to my stuff while on the go is worth it. I have thought of getting a Kodiak for traveling. It would be great loaded light and having the extra room for purchases or getting snacks for the motel.

As a note, I edc pretty light usually lots of room in the Sitka, which is great when I want to carry or shed a jacket. I have been playing around with the idea of trying to use a more modular approach. Right now I keep most of the stuff I used to schepp around as EDC in my Falcon 2 in the car.

Grizz

11. rabidchicken

rabidchicken Loaded Pockets

At first I was only looking at tactical nylon gear (Maxpedition and 5.11). Once I broadened my search from tactical to non-tectical gear, whole new options were available. I started with a Jumbo Versipack (rarely use), went to a Sitka (sold off), then to a 5.11 Rush 12 (sitting in the closet), finally to a Mexpedition Larkspur (sold it) all before I ended up with a North Face Surge, which I love and have been using the longest. I did just get a nice leather messenger for work, but plan on using the Surge for trips and school work. Not to mention, I really like the low-profile discreetness of non-tactical bags.

12. Haubitz

Haubitz Loaded Pockets

I’ve got one bag for work, one for walking the dog, one for when I go downtown, one for day hikes in the woods and another one for when I’m out dog tracking. I consider them all to be EDC-bags of some sort but with different purposes.

In short, I’ve given up the search for the “perfect” EDC-bag that will work in all situations. But I can always get a better bag for a specific situation. That’s actually one of the most fun things with EDC IMO.

These are the bags that I currently use (should anyone be interested):
    Samsonite Unity ICT Formal Laptop Backpack – Work bag
    Maxpedition Jumbo – Dog walking bag
    Visconti Leather Organizer – Downtown bag
    Maxpedition Falcon II – Hiking bag
    Maxpedition Sitka – Dog tracking bag

13. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

I agree with Haubitz. I have several different bags that serve specific purposes. My 5.11 COVRT 18 back pack is probably the most flexible bag I own - midsize volume, good ergos, decent organization, and ideal for situations where a tactical pack might draw unwanted attention. There are days (mostly on weekend excursions) when I don't want to carry a backpack and then I opt for my Maxpedition Jumbo EDC.

I also have its larger cousin, the Mongo, for my work EDC and to use as a range bag. When I travel for work, I carry the COVRT 18. My hiking daypack is an Osprey Stratos 24.

14. Bloke

Bloke Loaded Pockets

I've been carrying various bags for years

Down here in Australia there seems to be a bit of a culture amongst us blokes that the chicks carry the bags and the blokes don't...

Well I say phark that! My pockets ain't big enough to carry the :censored: I want/need everyday!

Sooo a few years ago I started carrying various cheap and cheerful canvas satchels whilst riding my Harley's .. etc

I copped all kinds of ridicule from the other blokes. None of which had any negative effects. They don't wanna carry bags with their own stuff. Their loss!

After trying quite a few different kinds of bags including double strap backpack style, and single stap messenger bag style I finally found the perfect choice for me.

Backpacks are a :censored: coz ya gotta take 'em off completely before ya can get to ya stuff.

Messenger bags are better coz ya can just swing 'em around in front of ya to get to ya stuff...but they flap around in the wind like crazy on the motorcycle.

Lotsa google research led me to EDC forums where I discovered Maxped stuff. Nobody down here in Australia makes that kinda stuff.

Thanks to you blokes I've spent over $400 on maxpedition gear in the last month.

Lunada, EDC and fatty organizers, Proteus versipack, Mini rollypolly etc etc

Fantastic gear! Awesome quality for the price !

*pics of my gear in a new thread in the next few days*

15. ppfd

ppfd Loaded Pockets

I'll add to it and say there can be no perfect bag. What fun would that be!:laugh:

I have had a personal encounter that lead to a long thread on a certain brand and it is documented here. But, I will give credit as far as design, where it is due. MaxP. has some well thought out bags, and good construction at a decent price. Again, in fairness if some of the more popular bags had 2 shoulder straps, Malaga and up. I think these would be great. The Typhoon was interesting in a 1 strap bag, then looks to have taken a step back when it became a pack.

TAD - I had a v3 EDC and for me it just missed the mark. I'm not a fanboy so I think my assessment is unbiased. The main pocket did not open far enough, the side pockets were hard to use, the compression straps crossed, the molle, and the tail was a major :censored:.

I have a V5 due here Monday, and it looks from what I can tell this is going to be a much better bag.

Kifaru - ah Kifaru!:smitten: Too :censored: expensive, too long of a wait, and accessories others add in you have to buy. May favorite all time pack is an X Ray!! I sold it :'( I miss this bag every day, I relate my old X Ray to a dirty freaky girl friend from the past. Hard to justify the price, but sooo much fun! :crackup: :drool:

Mystery Ranch - Another great USA company! Had an original Dragon Slayer, yeah sold it too :sigh: Another keeper. With the uber cool Futura harness and tri zip design and hide away hip belt. This one was like the nerdy freaky girl friend. :beanie:

Eberlestock - This line is the dark horse in the pack world, poised to make a move up the line. Yes most are made overseas, but after handling 2 of these packs and currently owning one I'm OK with it, (somewhat). Check these out.

My current bag - 5.11 Rush 12. This is the bag everyone should have. It has it all, price, build is bullet proof, design is darn near perfect, needs a few more colors and a belt option. I used mine on an 11 mile fall rail trail hike earlier this month and while mostly used as a water hauler, and belt would have made it a little more comfortable.

Timbuk 2 - there are no other messenger bags in my world!;D If you can swing the price build your own T2.