1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The Surefire Pen: 2 Year Review w/ 20+ pics

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by Mark Greenman, Nov 29, 2011.

1. echo victor
    • +2 Supporter

echo victor Previously "YankeeHotelFoxtrot"

cool; I wish you luck with it and hope that you enjoy it.

2. gremlin078

gremlin078 Loaded Pockets

I found a new EWP-01 on ebay for 60.00. Loving it, feels like I could use it for an emergency climbing spike.

w2edv likes this.
  3. Schaferhund

Schaferhund Loaded Pockets

Thanks... I hit checkout, and a few minutes later had the 'what was I thinking spending that much on a pen?!' moment.

In the uk, these are around £100, not cheap. But I do use a pen in conditions from the office to the field, and needed something that wouldn't break in my pocket, and I wouldn't lose the cap. If I don't lose this, it'll last for ever. Might be something my sons fight over when I shuffle off this mortal coil.

w2edv likes this.
  4. Schaferhund

I like it, but mine seems like it has a little play throughout. The top section has some wiggle when the nib is retracted, and the nib moves a little when writing. Is this normal

Feels nice in the hand, and I for one really like the Schmidt cartridge. I tried a fisher, and a sheafer fine point, but went back to the OE cartridge.

I have been using a Lamy AL star, and a boker tac pen, both of which I like - but the Lamy ink is a little too 'spready', and the boker had an o-ring to post the cap, but it came out. Now the cap is a pain as it won't stop moving as you write.

I want to love this Surefire, but I thought the tolerances would be more like my flashlights from them.

w2edv likes this.
  5. calebklyne

calebklyne Loaded Pockets

I bought a sf pen IV a couple months ago and I love it. However if you are looking for a fine engineered writing instrument, look else were. If you want a tough hand filling pen that still writes well but doesn't have tactical in the name or rifle rails, then they are the pens for you. To me it's just the right balance between tough but classy

Great review btw I might just have to a ewp 1 now too!

w2edv likes this.
  6. Schaferhund

Umm, the thing is, fine tolerances on threads make for a more solid twisty... I'm not looking for it to be uber classy, but the twisty is on such a coarse thread that it inherently wiggles. That wiggle could easily translate to stress on the barrel. I'm not sure if they're all like this, or just mine.

Here it is next to a Lamy AL-star and a Schrade tactical pen;

[​IMG]

TARFU and w2edv like this.
  7. quadrille

quadrille Loaded Pockets

I purchased one of these and the original cartridge wrote real nice, but it only lasted a short time. I felt the pen was too long and could not be used one handed, you have to twist. So i purchased the SF pen 2 which is a click type pen and I use it every day much better.

8. echo victor
    • +2 Supporter

Shaferhund,
    I had the same issue with movement between the nib and the opening at the bottom of the pen. I guess its normal, but I do think the threads between the upper and lower halves of the body don't factor into this condition. What does factor in is the tightness of the internal set screw under the glass breaker crown. I set mine how I liked then used a couple drops of the removable kind of lock-tite to hold the screw in place. In my experience, this screw would loosen over time and when I fully extended the nib, it didn't sit up high enough.

The vibration while writing is a bit distracting to me.; a pen as expensive as the -01 shouldn't feel like this. Perhaps the nib opening is to large, as this would exacerbate the condition. Most pens do not have that amount of open space between the nib and the bottom opening. I'm holding a Zebra F-301 right now and there is almost no room between the two.

p.s. I wish I could draw like you seem to be able to :)

9. echo victor
    • +2 Supporter

quadrille,

I agree. While I love the -01, I'd like to get one of the SF clickey models at some point. I had a favorite, but can't remember if it was the -02, -03 or -04. I'd need to look again. I wanted an all-flat-black pen and that was only available on one of those models (if my memory is correct).

10. 40CalCarlton

40CalCarlton Loaded Pockets

Great review thanks! Learned a lot!

11. Slohound

Slohound Loaded Pockets

I do really want one of these, unfortunately I just dont write enough anymore!! Between the desk top, lap top and iPhone I can do 99% of my job. But for those few times I have to jot something down......hmmmmmmmm maybe I will go pick one up!

12. scottryla

scottryla Loaded Pockets

Actually contemplating buying one. Excellent review. Thanks.

13. b.s.

b.s. Loaded Pockets

You may want to try using some teflon tape around your refill. I found that a couple of wraps around the nib will eliminate the rattle that you speak of.

The minor inconvenience of doing this is far outweighed by the benefit of using nearly any pen refill. The looseness on my version was imperceptible but I do see everyone's concerns.

MARK... excellent review... I think surefire may have addressed some of your concerns about the loose front cap on newer models. Mine won't budge and I actually needed a pair of pliers to remove the glass breaker to insert my Mont Blanc rollerball refill.

Last edited by b.s., Jul 6, 2012
  14. tobrien

tobrien Loaded Pockets

excellent review like the other said, I had no idea this pen was so nice!

15. jlagman

jlagman Loaded Pockets

Apologies for the thread necromancy, but the ability to accept virtually any ink cartridge has me almost sold on this pen. I've become quite fond of the way Zebra F-301 pens write and I've used them since university. But every once in a while, my inner mall ninja is inexplicably drawn towards incorporating "tactical" gear into an EDC. Perhaps I won't immediately shun the idea of upgrading to a tactical pen in the future.

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  16. Tony Walker

Tony Walker Empty Pockets

Jut got one of these. I like the black IV but the 1 was much cheaper at a place I had a credit to use so I got the 1 with the glass breaker. One question do you think sf changes stuff over the years. The adj screw on mine has a rounded point instead of a sharp looking point. Also the "fluting"? Machined into the body is a tad different in the top half. It's a very well known tactical dealer so I think it is genuine but I did notice th slight difference. This is my first nice pen.

17. b.s.

b.s. Loaded Pockets

Some pics may help. I haven't noticed any differences, and I thought the 01 was discontinued....