1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

the SPORK OFF !! (pic heavy)

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by jericanman, May 12, 2012.

1. jericanman

jericanman Loaded Pockets

right its time for the spork off ...

i have been using several sporks / forks for a whilke now, mostly for eating take away food, and at the odd bbq, i have decided to review my sporks.

[​IMG]

from left to right.

stainless steel spork,
    2 part SAK type penknife with fork and spoon,
    homemade mini spork,
    homemade carabiner fork.

test one (size bulk and weight)

stainless steel spork

this sp ork is fairly long, average spoon size, while it fits in a bag great it may be too large for edc in pockets

2 part SAK type penknife with fork and spoon

for its size this SAK knockoff does the job, has spoon , fork, knife, corkscrew, bottle oppener. and splits in half allowin g you to use the fork with either the knife or spoon. it is fairly compact but fairly heavy.

homemade mini spork

this is cut down so small and compact.

homemade carabiner fork.

small and can clip on webbing and the like

food test's

first noodles a fairly challanging for the sporks. you have bits to spike with the prongs, noodles to pick up and liquid at the end to scoop.

[​IMG]

the spork was not very good at lifting noodles, even when i wrapped them round the spork. or stabbed the noodles or spooned them up

[​IMG]

the 2 part sak worked great, with the option to use fork and spoon at once the noodles where quickly lifted to my mouth.

[​IMG]

the homemade spork worked fine, it has deeper prongs than normal sporks.

[​IMG]

for stabbing veg and meat the spork was near to useless, here a small bit of meat wedged in between the prongs.

[​IMG]

the 2 park sak and the fork on the carabiner worked the best here even getting realy small stuff with no problem.

[​IMG]

homemade spork worked ok, got a fair bit of stuff with every stab of the food.

now to eat the stock at the bottom of the bowl a whole other ball game.

[​IMG]

spork did fairly well. its short prongs but ok sized spoon means it gets a fair bit.

[​IMG]

homemade spork, not that great, harly got any, due to the larger prongs.

[​IMG]

the 2 part sak does the best again.

results

stainless steel spork,

its not great at anything but does the job, to big for pocket carry but great for a bag.

2 part SAK type penknife with fork and spoon,

ive had this for a while and it is great you can eat anything with the combo of fork , spoon and a knife. but its a tad bulky and heavy and i have found a fair few times i would have loved to use it but had left it at home.

homemade mini spork,

my mini spork thnis rides with me every day it deals with most stuff i throw at it, from fish and chips to salads and sushi. and it clips on my keychain so i actualy have it every day.

homemade carabiner fork.

this is fairly new i have used it a fair bit and it works ok, great for some foods and its clipped to my bag but a pain to clean with the para cord and all.

antonic likes this.
  2. antonic

antonic Loaded Pockets

Your homemade mini spork looks cool but the prongs are too long. If you cut it down like the stainless steel spork, it would've been perfect due to its portable size. I'd get another stainless steel spoon start again. Good luck.

3. MKram

MKram Loaded Pockets

Why not the SnowPeak? Full size and decent tines, plus Ti? Carry one everyday.

4. floater

floater Loaded Pockets

I use this one, don't try the plastic version they break

Fork has a knife edge and the spoon holds lots of soup

[​IMG]

5. jericanman

ive seen them in plastic, might have to consider a non plastic one

6. xtrajack

xtrajack Loaded Pockets

This is what I use. Carried in my lfp.

7. amdmaxx

amdmaxx Loaded Pockets

8. tal-c

tal-c Loaded Pockets

Those home-made sporks seems very nice, but i'm not sure how healthy it is to use an untreated metal with food...

I never broke my plastic light my fire spork, and even if i would have... I just like LOVE the colorful sporks much better than the regular silver ones. :happy:

braswes likes this.
  9. jericanman

well its stainless steel so i dont see the problem. its not a lead spork lolz

10. tal-c

tal-c Loaded Pockets

Still, there are chemical processes that steel has to pass before it's ready to be used for "regular" use (chemical passivation), so I assume it's more than needed when you use it to eat.

11. jericanman

well its stainless steel and i just cut it down, and did some filing, i think it will be fine.

i did a bit of googling around and under no circumsatances is stainless steel poisonous. and since this aint a coated spoon but stainless steel all the way threw i dont think there will be a problem.most things i read about untreeted metals revolve around the fact that the spoon , fork what ever might have a strange taste due to the metal used. thats about it.

id be more worried about the plastic sporks and water bottles that leach out chemicals everytime you use them.

either way its not like the spork gets used for every meal so any problems would be minimal in the first place.

on another note i got myself a few more of the SAK type penknifes with the fork and spoon, going to take them apart and try to mod out one of my penknifes or an old sak with a spoon or fork :)

12. patrat

patrat Loaded Pockets

Big fan of the Ti LMF spork.

Stainless steel is fine for food contact, unless you go out of your way to get a "free cutting" or other exotic alloy.

Stainless has a persistent, durable, replenishing chromium oxide coating, which it gets by touching air. Stainless outside of the 300 series or 18-# series usually used in kitchen ware may be more prone to rust if left wet.

13. 70dart

70dart Loaded Pockets

This has been one of the single most useful items I own....I use mine every night at work and love it.

Oh, and I had the plastic version and it did eventually break.

Robert:)

14. Gillomonster

Gillomonster Loaded Pockets

+1 for the Snow Peak spork. Cannot go wrong with titanium. I have has mine for years and I carry it with me every day.

15. Soup dragon

Soup dragon Loaded Pockets

Maybe it is just me but I do not get the Spork EDC thing. How often do you use these things and what do you eat with them?

16. Gillomonster

Gillomonster Loaded Pockets

I mainly use it to stir coffee. I am in the Army and I use it in the field to eat meals. In garrison, I use it to eat lunch. I know where this spoon has been, I cannot say that for all of the other spoons offered to me.

Gnarly likes this.
  17. temujin

temujin Uber Prepared

I eat takeout a lot. Sometimes I get back with my food and find no utensils included. Spork to the rescue!

18. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

:D

veeks62 and Gnarly like this.
  19. veeks62

veeks62 Loaded Pockets

+1 for LMF Ti Spork. This is replacing my KFC packaged sporks I've collected over the years. I use it all the time in the kitchen.

20. jericanman

my spork gets used for lunch every day, for salads mostly sometimes soup , and the odd load of chips and random canned good's i buy when out, mmmm canned peaches and manderines cant beat em :)