1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The Splash - Metro's Ultimate Leatherman Squirt Mod.

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by metropolicity, Jan 13, 2013.

1. theword_1ten

theword_1ten Empty Pockets

I'm a little late to the party, but I just finished a 3-layer with the Polished Bronze scales from Shapeways (I actually found the Shapeways models first, and had to sleuth their origins to get here ;) ). I was hoping it would match my brass loadout better than the regular Stainless, but I should have trusted the pictures of the regular Stainless scales - they look much closer to a brass coloring. The bronze scales are much darker - closer to an old penny. They do look great, but don't fit the rest of my kit.

Shapeways now also offers brass as a material, which would be ideal (just the color isn't quite enough - I like brass for the way it ages). Would you be willing to add the option to purchase the scales in brass? I'm not sure how involved the process would be, but I'm imagining it just being a checkbox. I'm trying to avoid attempting to model my own scales, as I really like the job you did on yours, and an attempt on my part to model my own would undoubtedly be inferior.

As a side note, I really like the fact that services like Shapeways exist - I doubt there would be enough demand for something like this to warrant an actual manufacturer to crank out a batch, just to have a bunch of stock lying around gathering dust waiting for someone like me to finally search for just the right thing. Anyway, great job - and thanks for making them available for people to buy!

metropolicity likes this.
  2. metropolicity

metropolicity Loaded Pockets

Lemme see if I can do that. Keep in mind that the CORE of the metal scales is same bronze infused sandcastle like steel structure. The coatings (brass, bronze etc) are just a plating that can be worn off.

Just checked, the brass is a no go. Some of the features on the scales are too thin to be printed in brass. Steel is the only material that this can be printed in, with the coating of course.

3. theword_1ten

theword_1ten Empty Pockets

I knew that going in for the bronze ones that I got, but they offer a pure brass material that isn't plated over stainless steel. They do the 3D print in wax, then lost wax cast to get the final brass piece.

That's strange, I had compared the Brass and Steel Material Information Pages and it looked like brass had lower minimums on all of the restrictions that I could see. Either I missed one, or something else is going on.

Thanks for checking so quickly!

4. angusW

angusW EDC Junkie!!!

Just checking my e-mail. I get one from Shapeways every few days. The one today has Metro's PS4 scales. One day I'll have to get those for mine.

MTFatboy and vegassprky like this.
  5. metropolicity

Whoa cool! I usually just delete those, but I dug it up and there it is!!!

angusW and vegassprky like this.
  6. MatteoRR

MatteoRR Loaded Pockets

Metro, I follow you by a long time and i cannot think you anytime I put back the Wave in my spartan OGII
    I also have a SPII but I lost it in a drunken summer night (with smartphone inside naturally).
    anyway thank's for being a costant source of inspiration and encouragement.
    How did you disassembled round head rivet/bolt on the old E4 and P4? and in the newest ps4 without torx?
    you have to angrave and drill? wich size of drill bit?

angusW and vegassprky like this.
  7. metropolicity

It's actually easier to grind the head right off with a grinder or a rotary tool. Drilling them is very difficult because you have to center punch the rivet correctly, then drill it out, but it usually just grabs and then spins in place.

By my 3rd one, I was just grinding the heads off because I don't keep the scales.

dao, vegassprky and Heywood Floyd like this.
  8. MatteoRR

MatteoRR Loaded Pockets

I don't want to keep the scales to... so it will be bread for my Dremel. I have a p4 ps4 and a e4 I desperately search ebay for an s4. The ps4 scissors have broken spring. I don't know if it's possible to repair (any idea?) so I'm planning to take also a style.

dao and vegassprky like this.
  9. MatteoRR

MatteoRR Loaded Pockets

By the way speaking of style...
    Someone known if swap blade between style cs and squirt is feasible without any personalisation? seems to be better quality and keep edge longer (maybe because I use it less cause the bigger and practical scissor)

dao likes this.
  10. metropolicity

The nail nick is in the wrong place. The nick on the Squirt is in the middle where as the Style's nick is near the pivot.

I have a bunch of S4's, shoot me a PM

dao, MatteoRR and vegassprky like this.
  11. MatteoRR

MatteoRR Loaded Pockets

Shot a mail! What you think of style blade. Just me or does it look a better steel quality? Seems remember to read in the tread that squirt scissors spring faulty is common, isn't it?

12. angusW

angusW EDC Junkie!!!

When I was putting together my Squirt mod, I tried out the Style's blade but I think I had to use the scale that's over the scissors to have access to the nail nick. It's been a while so that might not be 100% accurate.

13. MatteoRR

MatteoRR Loaded Pockets

Yeah! but, if you put the blades and files in the inner layer like the 4 layer metro splash, keep outer layer for scissor-bit-awl; blade opening opposite sides instead of original LM Squirt(so you can use the open tool like a big handle)... you will find the nail nick under thesmall slice grinded away from "leatherman pat. pend. " engrave. Should work fine???

vegassprky and dao like this.
  14. BarneyG

BarneyG Loaded Pockets

I just acquired a ps4 and came across this thread ... awesome work ... can I ask why the hex driver scales aren't for sale on shapeways ?

vegassprky and MatteoRR like this.
  15. metropolicity

I was trying to tweak the file and it ended up with a 0 thickness feature SOMEWHERE I can't find. I gave up after spending hours trying a digital needle in a haystack.

BarneyG and vegassprky like this.
  16. BarneyG

BarneyG Loaded Pockets

You wouldn't happen to like another set of eyes to look it over would you? :)

Btw Ill not take offence to "no" ... you don't know me from Adam

17. metropolicity

I don't even know where the files went :(

vegassprky likes this.
  18. BarneyG

BarneyG Loaded Pockets

:( indeed ... You don't mind if I try to knock up a copy do you ?

19. metropolicity

Only this one time I would request you didn't. I eventually would like to apply for an industrial design on it. That being said...I've posted it publicly so you can do what you feel is in your best interest :)

vegassprky likes this.
  20. MatteoRR

MatteoRR Loaded Pockets

Go go go! We're all with you!

vegassprky likes this.