1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The Splash - Metro's Ultimate Leatherman Squirt Mod.

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by metropolicity, Jan 13, 2013.

1. metropolicity

metropolicity Loaded Pockets

Alright, don't get too excited. I haven't actually made it yet.

I did however, get my tool set decided. Why a Splash? It's not quite a Wave...and it certainly won't be a Squirt!

I wanted to attempt to make my version of the ultimate LM Squirt. I am spoiled by the fact that I often make stuff till I get what I think is a perfect tool, why would my keychain/mini tool be any different?

I really like the squirt, I often consider it one of the best keychain tools, I don't like the Micra (yes, hate me now) because every one I've used, the scissors would ALWAYS jam. Since I found the PS4 perfect for very light work, I am going to attempt to replicate my normal tool set, with a couple of tweaks.

I may also make some new scales from some stainless steel rulers. This does a couple of things, it'll slim up the overall thickness since I am adding about 1/4 over all to the Squirt and I'll gain the advantage of an accurate ruler

[​IMG]

Most of my MTs have this:
    1. Pliers
    2. PE
    3. SE
    4. File
    5. Scissors
    6. Flat bit
    7. Phillips
    8. Awl

Bonuses are
    9. Robertson
    10. Tweezers
    11. Straight Pin
    12. Eyeglass driver

The Squirt series, retired and current contain ALL of these tools and if combined would make a really fun project. A lot of it will be disassembly of riveted tools and combining and assembling with new longer 1/8" knife pins.

Here is where I am going steal stuff.

LM P4.
    1. Pliers
    2. PE
    6. Flat bit
    8. Awl
    7. Phillips (flat Phillips)

[​IMG]

LM S4
    3. SE (will have to be profiled and ground.
    4. File (will use the nail file because the P4/PS4 file is useless at that size)
    12. Eyeglass driver
    10. Tweezers

[​IMG]

PS4
    5. Scissors

[​IMG]

E4 (Radio Shack version)
    7. Phillips (3D Phillip)

[​IMG]

How the hell am I going to add ALL these tools in a Squirt? Like EvilOlive, I am going to add layers. The chassis are the backsprings so it's a pretty simple system, as long as the center layer is the plier and back spring sandwich, it's all good.

--

Now I have started to do some testing and already found a way to make a better awl from the flat phillips bit.

[​IMG]

and..I did an experiment with a SE and I achieved a pretty good result. I'll likely grind one more blade. My I use a 1/8" diamond bit for the large scallops and a 1/16" one for the smaller ones. Then I flipped my belt sander on it's side and added a minute convex to the back side to reveal the SE.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I even pulled a LM move and jimped the back of the blade so I know which blade is which.

[​IMG]

--

I have on order a bunch of E4's, S4's, P4s and some longer 1/2" long pivots (which I may have to splice if making a 4 layer Squirt is too much.

Until those parts come in...I'll leave this project till then. I'll give the SE a good testing this week when I break down a bunch of boxes for recycling and report back.

Last edited by metropolicity, Feb 14, 2013
  2. baja820

baja820 Loaded Pockets

Awesome! Soooo this is what has been occupying your time. I was wondering why you haven't posted anything for a while. Those little pliers are pretty tough.

3. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

great work:) Looking forward to seeing the rest.

swany66675 likes this.
  4. Doric

Doric Loaded Pockets

Keeping an eye one this one.

5. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

That serrated blade is down right scary... I think gentle scallops is the better method for serrations, those things would gouge tear and shred whatever you put in front of it. Otherwise... I am looking forward to your new toy,, you always have the coolest stuff...

6. metropolicity

That's why I like SE, For tearing. It is literally my first try at making a SE. I use SE to cut rope and plastic bands on boxes. I want a but of a sawing effect too.

I have one more blade to mod to give it a different profile.

Been working hard to clear the backlog. I needed a break!

swany66675 and Sriracha like this.
  7. baja820

baja820 Loaded Pockets

Ah I see.

8. bigguy02

bigguy02 Loaded Pockets

Im excited to see what comes out of this.

9. metropolicity

My radio shack e4's came in today with the 3d Phillips, more blades to try to carve a SE on and the tweezer/eyeglass driver layer.

I am going to see if I can manage to only carve up one since they are really good condition.

[​IMG]

swany66675, vegassprky and baja820 like this.
  10. Syph007

Syph007 Loaded Pockets

Eric that serrated blade reminds me of prehistoric alligator teeth!

He's coming fro you.. dont make a splash!

[​IMG]

11. Quixotica

Quixotica Loaded Pockets

I'm really digging the idea of using the rulers as scales. I love those types of rulers. I have one stashed around everywhere in my apartment and bags.

12. Idaho Gunslinger

Idaho Gunslinger Loaded Pockets

Still waiting for something epic up your sleeve?

13. Cornholio2188

Cornholio2188 Loaded Pockets

OMG I NEED IT!! YEEEEEAH! :D you are incredible, my friend.

14. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

@Eric ... have to ask, what were you like as a kid? Always taking the toaster or some other appliance apart? Kinda reminds me of Tim the Toolman on the TV series Home Improvement, but with multi-tools. :)

15. metropolicity

I too do that, I have maybe 20 floating around. I found some awesome 8" ones on DX and have a bunch of them on order.

No time! The epicness is still needs to be formulated, planned, sent out, reassembled etc etc.

Oh yes Dan. I was allowed access to powertools at a very young age and was taught that everything has a solution, if not 2..3..4..(also to make mistakes, learn and start over again). My Dad's office would go through printers like crazy and the pharmacy also had a bunch of doodads that got consumed, I spent a lot of time in the back room of a pharmacy. I often took them apart and salvaged the rods, gears, pulleys, motors, wires, LEDS, whatever I could get my hands on. I also learned how things were made at a relatively early age, examining draft angles on moulded parts, screw bosses (didn't know what they were called at the time), gussets. Even now, I managed to buy about 1/2 a pharmacy (from a couple of Zellers that were going out of business) and outfit the Skinth shop with white, powder coated steel cabinets and shelves, that aesthetic never left me.

It was only a matter of time before I learned machining skills in design school and practical applications of it. I basically told myself one summer that I wanted to learn everything there was to learn about multitools because I felt they were a great example of design, engineering, problem solving and best of all, a tool to do more design, engineering and problem solving.

My first couple of MTs were a broken lot of Leatheman PSTs, which carcasses are strewn about, they taught me a lot and not until I took the dive into the deep end and started buy lots of higher end tools (waves, MP600, surges etc) did I realized that this hobby was something I need to continue.

That lead me to find MTO.Org...which lead me to EDCF...which lead me to designing carrying cases...which lead to Skinth...and that brings us to now!

16. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

Atleast his tools don't explode and fly across the room.;)

17. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

Or so he would have us believe! :D

AK Adventurer and vegassprky like this.
  18. metropolicity

Success! I won both the S4's, which have the Ruler/Nail File/Gunk Hook.

All the parts are acquired now...

Fukurai, SAKplumber and Cornholio2188 like this.
  19. Quixotica

Quixotica Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Fukurai, SAKplumber and Cornholio2188 like this.
  20. metropolicity

Did some planning today, taking a mental break from Skinth.

From what I gathered this is the load out.

A Layer 1 (outside):
    -PE Blade
    B Layer 1 (outside):
    -3D Phillips/Flat Driver

A Layer 2 (inside):
    -Nail File
    B Layer 2 (inside):
    -2D phillips/Awl

---

C Layer 1 (outside):
    -SE Blade
    D Layer 1 (outside):
    -Scissors

C Layer 2 (inside)
    -?????!!!!
    D Layer 2 (inside)
    -Eyeglass Driver/Tweezers

--

So after planning. I notice...wait a minute! Even with ALL of the tools in one Squirt from 3 squirts...there's still a blank outside opening slot!!! What to do?!

A package opener? The standard file? a wire stripper? a warney blade? gut hook? Another pair of scissors? Staple pry bar?

AHHHHH MY BRAIN IS NOT WORKING!

Fukurai and vegassprky like this.