1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The Silver Ghost - Metro's pimped Vic Spirit

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by metropolicity, Jan 5, 2013.

1. metropolicity

metropolicity Loaded Pockets

It was only a matter of time, the Vic Spirit comes highly regarded as one of the finer MTs on the market. Arguable, the Spirit X is an excellent choice for an EDC tool. As much as I liked it, my Spirit just didn't feel like it was mine...so to heck with warranty, Swiss precision and those dang rivets.

This thread will evolve as I find more things to improve on, but lets start with the clip. I already posted this about this, my first mod of 2013 but I got a little flack for installing a Leatherman Kick clip on a Vic. So, this one is for those purists.

The handles, Plier head and Plier spring were all bored out to 7/32 to accept a Leatherman Plier pivot

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The little anti rotation notch needed a place to sit, a diamond disc took care of that easily.

[​IMG]

The pivots was 1.2mm too long, some trimming on the lathe

[​IMG]

The result is a perfect strong clip with the right amount of tool sticking up to grab when clipped in the pocket.

[​IMG]

Wasn't done there, this mod was a bit of an aesthetic choice, a 1/8 slot was milled out to eradicate the LM branding. The clip was wet sanded to 800 and then polished with cotton wheel to mirror finish.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Am super spoiled with my normal day to day Leathermans with their easy Outside Access OHO blades and tools. I tried two different kinds of mods to make the Spirit into the Silver Ghost. I added a thumb stud (press fit) and a cut out for a LEFT OHO, but in the end, the back spring was MUCH too strong to achieve any kind of real OHO, however, the stud made it super easy to get to the blade.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The cut out and handle were wet sanded to 800 and then cotton wheel with green rouge. Shiny!

Next up is the outside access notch for the Scissors, I use my scissors almost more than anything so easy access to gem was key. There wasn't enough room for a thumb stud but I figured out how to make a new nail notch. A small curved cutout was ground with a diamond dremel bit and the nail notch was made by carefully kissing the corresponding area with a diamond disc. The whole thing was polished the same way. In retrospect, I should of done the same thing to the master blade, but you never know if things will work unless you try (I have another spirit I could harvest blades from but that's for next weekend)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The last mod for this round (until I find another gripe) is the grip when using the tools and blades. Since there aren't any places to PUT a grip plate, I had I make jimping on the middle thickest tools. 1/8 ball end mill made the evenly spaced jimping.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I dare say the new polish is actually MORE shiny than it was, I can even tell the time on my Tissot T-Touch.

[​IMG]

Edit!!

I couldn't wait, the Vic's chassis and systems are unlike anything I've encountered so I wanted to get this done as soon as I could with it fresh in my mind. I took apart the other Spirit S I had (the pivot was mangled by whoever installed their own clip, so it was half way to taken apart). From that Spirit, I stole the handle and blade.

Here's a couple of pics....wait...what is that? A 3/16 Leatherman pivot?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BEHOLD! The file, spear point, scissors AND BUTTER BLADE!

[​IMG]

Here's a a closer look at the butter blade.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

0.5 mm was shaved off (.25mm on either side), wet sand to 800 and polished.

[​IMG]

Grinding a cutout for the existing nail nick like the scissors:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A new nail nick and cut out for the spear point.

[​IMG]

I am very happy with this now, the Silver Ghost matches the load out in my other favorite tools, so when I when I choose a EDC tool that day, I won't be missing my functions (PE,SE,file,scissors,awl,bit drivers). The ONLY thing missing is a Robbie bit (I am a Canadian after all, eh?)

2. KAMM
    • In Omnia Paratus

KAMM Loaded Pockets

Holy moly!!!!! You are a master!

Norse Scots and SAKplumber like this.
  3. baja820

baja820 Loaded Pockets

GIMME GIMME! Thats awesome metro.....as usual.

4. Cornholio2188

Cornholio2188 Loaded Pockets

MAN you are some crazy perfectionist! Which is good for me ;)
    Such an awesome mod. I wish I could do that-but I guess I'd rather go through a little extra effort opening the tool uncomfortably than completely destroying it by modding with no experience/tools.

5. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

So nice! Bravo, Sir!

6. metropolicity

The nail notch took nearly no time at all, a steady hand and the right bits helped. The hardest part is covering my tracks and polishing the parts again!

Cornholio2188 likes this.
  7. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

SWEET!

You need to bob the end of the scissors spring, to allow the jaws to open all the way, instead of just the 2/3 of the edge length and limit on how thick of material you can get into them that it has stock.(was my one and only Spirit mod years ago when I got it)

*COUGH* Rebar head *COUGH* ;)
    (I'm actually pretty sure its not possible, at least without milling the ramps off of the rebar head pivot areas..) I ever get mine apart I want to try a wingman head, spring loaded spirit would be cool...

That pic of the lathe work looks awfully familiar; the tool holder, bed rails, screw power feed, and the school bus yellow paint... Wouldn't happen to be a small lathe with about a 4' bed from Harbor Freight, would it?

G.
    *wonders off to the shop to look for a 7/32" mill*

SAKplumber and KAMM like this.
  8. Syclone

Syclone Loaded Pockets

Ok I need that clip mod...

9. KAMM
    • In Omnia Paratus

KAMM Loaded Pockets

I need that multi.

10. metropolicity

That better be a 7/32 solid carbide mill! It's not, it a Craftex 7x10 lathe, it's from Busy Bee tools in Canada.

Got any pics of the "bob" of the spring?

11. Cornholio2188

Cornholio2188 Loaded Pockets

Well I mean the whole taking apart effort + modifying your Vic tool part :p

12. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

I need my very own Metro. :) (The Leonard doll doesn't count!)

13. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

:frantic: Sweet!! Needs a screw pivot on each side. Love the clip!

If you moved the OHO stud on the blade a little further towards the spear point do you think the leverage might be enough to help OHO it?
    Plus the blade would be sweet with some jimping as well :cool:

Edit: This was taken from MTO becuase I'd rather have asked it here;)

KAMM likes this.
  14. KAMM
    • In Omnia Paratus

KAMM Loaded Pockets

RIGHT!? A Mini Metro.

Norse Scots, vegassprky and mooshisho like this.
  15. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

With a mini Skinth to boot. :bundle-of-joy_throwvertical:

16. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

So its been 23 minutes since you posted this...have you ordered it already!?

17. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

You know you want to:frantic:

Norse Scots, vegassprky and KAMM like this.
  18. KAMM
    • In Omnia Paratus

KAMM Loaded Pockets

I quite literally posted that and then went to amazon to check the price. They fluctuate SO MUCH! I need to wait to I has money. :(

19. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

I'm in the same boat. I need a Spirit for my Bro-in-law and my wife (so I can take the old SwissTool from her and give it to my son), complete with bitcases for me & Eric & Bro, and ToPeak Ratchets for Bro & me. (Have a Vic ratchet for Eric already:))

So yeah, I has no moneys and won't for a while:DThough I did promise I would buy the EDCF Spyderco when it comes out

Norse Scots, Fukurai and KAMM like this.
  20. rickinFL

rickinFL Loaded Pockets

Amazon has one for 53.00. Wonder if their 10.00 off of vic products still applies.

Metro, you have quite honestly perfected this tool. As mentioned before, if the scissors could be modded to open fully, that would also be another godsend mod.
    You are the master.

SAKplumber likes this.