1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The search for a "mini ratchet"

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by Sly, Jun 2, 2016.

1. bj warkentin

bj warkentin Loaded Pockets

I have a bunch of them... wera, wiha, topeak, chapman, and a couple of generic ones. The wera is my favourite. It is really well built.

2. braswes

braswes Loaded Pockets

The Wera 8001 A ratchet FTW. Far above all the others.

3. speedy

speedy Loaded Pockets

Yes and no. I have one, I carry it in my tool kit. I got it at Sears. I got it due to some screws are so close to a wall even with a stubby screwdriver it was hard to turn. The ratchet worked quite well.

Other kind of mini-ratches I found in Lowes and Home Depot. But if you are considering one for EDC I don't get it. It's one thing to keep it in a tool kit that you use for whatever. But to keep it on your persons IMHO that is overkill.

4. Wesmanthetiger

Wesmanthetiger Loaded Pockets

Overkill? Have you looked around this forum? Lol. Actually I would have to agree, but I don't have need for one daily. Many of us streamline our EDC to fit our daily needs, while some just want to EDC everything. I'm waiting for the EDC Drone thread... To avoid derailing the thread I purchased the Titan 1/4" Mini for my tool box and its great for narrow spaces. I don't carry it as I don't need it daily, but it's a fine mini-ratchet and tough, too. If I were to carry daily this would be the one (or the Titan Mini Gearless, that's a looker... ;) ).

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

5. mike3145

mike3145 Loaded Pockets

As with many tools I own, sometimes I find I need something when it's not with me and sometimes the stuff I have with me that I rarely use. Over the years I've gotten pretty good at predicting what I might need for a specific job but it's far from 100%. In any case a "mini" ratchet wouldn't be something I'd EDC but right now it's not too far away in the truck of my car.

EZDog and Moshe ben David like this.
  6. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

There are also certain tools that I will not use a lot but when I do need them nothing else will do the job.
    Considering just how small these are I can easily imagine someone wanting to carry one just in case.
    I carry a Pocket Wrench in my Skinth EDC for now and again I don't use it every day but it has saved my butt anyway when needed!

7. callforfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

callforfire Loaded Pockets

Omegatec, and hi-lok ratchets are pretty neat.

8. hariph creek

hariph creek Loaded Pockets

When I went through the same search I pretty much narrowed it down to; Top Peak, Chapman, and Victorinox.

The Top Peak is an excellent value and a tidy package. Nicely compatible with common bits.

The Chapman is very nice and the bits are excellent. However, it is a specialized set. It does not "play (as) nice" with non-Chapman bits. While the ratchet is very inexpensive, the bits can run into money, fast. I HATE paying shipping, it can be difficult to obtain their stuff without paying shipping.

Victorinox is not cheap, but good quality. Well made and durable, it makes for a tidy little kit and is compatible with widely available bits. If you already carry a Victorinox multitool (I do not) it seems an obvious choice.

I got the Victorinox. I do not regret it.
    Ultimately I came down to it or the Chapman. The not so easily sourced Chapman bits were the deal breaker.

9. Lellobeetle

Lellobeetle Loaded Pockets

I use a percussion ratchet - small and handy. But then again, I play drums

10. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

*ba-dum-tshh*

WillAdams and Lellobeetle like this.
  11. Lellobeetle

Lellobeetle Loaded Pockets

:bounce:

12. Diezel

Diezel Loaded Pockets