1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The search for a "mini ratchet"

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by Sly, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Sly

Sly Loaded Pockets

So I have been looking for a mini ratchet to drive 1/4" bits. I have seen a couple on EDCF, but I haven't ever been able to track them down on the webs. Do you carry a mini ratchet? Is yours better than everyone else's? If so, where can they be found/purchased?

2. chas353
    • In Omnia Paratus

chas353 Loaded Pockets

Look at Topeak, they're bike tools but are handy I bought the set with the ratchet and bits use them at work almost nightly, also carry the Leatherman bit extension with them.

WillAdams and lnytunes like this.
  3. 9x19

9x19 Loaded Pockets

klepto, Sly and WillAdams like this.
  4. polar_bear

polar_bear Empty Pockets

I don't own one but I know snap on make a small bit ratchet. Don't know if that would be small enough for you.

5. That Movie Guy

That Movie Guy Loaded Pockets

I've got a Topeak Ratchet Rocket coupled with a Leatherman Bit Extender with a 5/16 nut driver bit and the half bit kit that came with my LM Charge AL. It's light, slim, fits perfectly in the front slot of my Skinth Magnum. An amazing little ratchet that never fails me.

[​IMG]

6. GearGuy69

GearGuy69 Loaded Pockets

Search for bahco mini ratchet set you'll find 2 versions one that's pretty small and a little bit bigger one.

Sly likes this.
  7. Sly

Sly Loaded Pockets

If I could afford snap-on I would love to own one haha. I'll check out that thread and see what's going on.

8. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

I have a chapman and a bahco. The bahco is slightly larger, reversible and has a built in bit stop. The chapman is simpler, no reverse action so you just flip the tool and because of this there's no bit stop, regular bits fall right through. I still prefer the chapman tho as it's way easier to pack and just more elegant somehow.

znapschatz likes this.
  9. mike3145

mike3145 Loaded Pockets

I bought the Wera Zylkop mini when we were talking about it in the thread previously mentioned. Actually I bought the entire little "Tool Check Plus" set which comes with the ratchet, a small magnetic screwdriver, bit holder (which has a 1/4" hex shank that works with the tools in the set or a drill/impact), and assortment of bits and sockets. I haven't gotten around to using the ratchet too much but it's very nicely made and works smoothly but is amazingly small. Almost too small. The handle of included screwdriver is really small too and probably too small to develop enough torque for the sizes of bits included with the kit. It would be more appropriate for "precision" sized screws like #0 Phillips and smaller.

If you're looking for other options besides the ones mentioned here and in the other thread, Wiha and Felo (Bondhus) also make a mini ratchets (and sets) designed to work with 1/4" hex shank bits. The Big River site certainly sells the Wera sets and Wiha is available directly from them.

Sly likes this.
  10. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

I have a Sealey Bit Driver Ratchet Micro 1/4" Hex Stainless Steel coupled with a magnetic bit extender from a Draper bit driver set. Works well and I'm happy with it.

Sly likes this.
  11. Sly

Sly Loaded Pockets

mike3145 the felo and wiha sets are really nice! If I could afford something like that I'd jump on the felo xs in a heartbeat! I have a huge assortment of standard bits, short and long. I would like to find a mini ratchet that is thin, and has a bit stop like was previously mentioned, I hadn't even considered a bit stop. Or I could use an extension to prevent the bit from popping through.

But realistically I just need the ratchet, I have access to all the other accessories already. Does the felo xs or wera zylkop sell as just the ratchet instead of in a set?

12. Sly

Sly Loaded Pockets

PragmaticMurphyist I love the way the sealey looks!!!! Wow! I wonder if it is available in the US, I googled it and all the results are UK based

PragmaticMurphyist likes this.
  13. mike3145

mike3145 Loaded Pockets

The Wera Zykop mini ratchet is certainly available alone in the $33 range as I recall. For about the same money, it looks like Wiha throws in a bit holder. Not sure about Felo.

14. LuxN

LuxN Loaded Pockets

Look up VIM HBR5. Its a steal for the price you can get it for.

15. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

Jack Sealey's are a UK company. I'm not sure if you'd find it on your side of the pond.

Best of luck!

16. Wesmanthetiger

Wesmanthetiger Loaded Pockets

Titan 1/4 3" mini ratchet. Socket on one side, driver on the other. $15 on big river site.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

17. Sly

Sly Loaded Pockets

18. 9x19

9x19 Loaded Pockets

Sly likes this.
  19. SlimJim16v

SlimJim16v Loaded Pockets

20. Sly

Sly Loaded Pockets

9x19 I figured as much, but it's for light duty, so I'm not overly concerned about it. It's more to test the waters of carrying one more than being perfect for life saving moments. If I feel I use it enough and want a better option then I'll probably order a wera :)