1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The Raw Denim Thread

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by crwoody, Jul 13, 2017.

1. crwoody

crwoody Loaded Pockets

I couldn't find a topic like this, so hopefully this idea is original!

For those not in the know, raw denim is denim that has not been pre-washed (not to be confused with unsanforized) and that is usually worn for the purpose of generating beautiful fades in the fabric over long periods of wear.

I have been a long-time fanboy of raw denims because of their historical value, but also because of their solid construction. I realize many have issues with carrying their EDC in their jeans (myself included), but I felt like since I have seen some of you on the Boots thread with raw denim, I would love to create a place where we can send pics of our fades, carrying methods, and WIP jeans. :)

My current WIP is this lovely pair of Unbranded UB221s. Epic price and very good quality fabric, despite the fact that the 21oz weight takes some getting used to

I will hopefully be posting more of them later on. I also have a pair of RRL jeans, but they have gotten far too big and I cannot wear them :(. I got some beginners fades on them so I might post a pic later if any are interested.

Thank you for reading, and I hope you enjoy this thread! :) (I think you're supposed to say that on the first post...)

Carter R.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

MinistryOfTruth likes this.
  2. buck268

buck268 Loaded Pockets

I typically but what it appears you are calling raw denium. To me, they just look like new jeans? My problem is that I tend to shrink denium over the course of about 2 years worth of washes. It does help wearing them multiple times before a wash but doesn't solve the issue.

crwoody likes this.
  3. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'm not wearing them now (wearing my Duluth canvas work pants at the moment) but I'm currently beating a pair of Lucky Legends 121 Heritage jeans into submission.
    They're made of red line Cone Mills selvedge denim. They're 7 months old with one wash, but haven't been worn day in day out every day.

I've got a pair of sanforized 501s that have been retired due to my crotch repairs blowing out almost every time I wear them now. I also have a pair of 501 shrink to fits and a pair of unbranded 201s waiting to be worn.

I'll have to wear my Luckies tomorrow so I can get a decent photo.

crwoody likes this.
  4. crwoody

crwoody Loaded Pockets

Well, you're not wrong. Denim used to come raw all the time. However, in recent years, with the invention of pre-washing, very few remember when jeans used to be this way. :)

I am sorry if I misunderstood but it looks to me like you need to size up. Most unsanforized jeans (jeans which have not been pre-treated to water and shrunk) can shrink 1-2 sizes in the waist and 2 in the length. I would contact the manufacturer of your jeans and ask if they have a sizing chart.

5. crwoody

crwoody Loaded Pockets

That would be swell! I always love pics!! :)

I've never had the pleasure of seeing cone denim. I hear it's great. And let me tell ya, unbranded jeans are really awesome. I am really digging mine. Plus, the price point can't be beat. :D

6. thatotherguy

I haven't even taken my 201s out of their bag yet- I've been working exclusively on my Luckies. I did get to play with a pair in a local store and they seemed nice so I have high hopes.

Cone Mills is extremely nice but also extremely plain as far as denim goes. It's very consistent. No slub, nep, color variation, loose weave, anything. It's a great consistent basic working denim without frills in my one-pair experience.

I'm guessing you've found Heddels?

crwoody likes this.
  7. crwoody

crwoody Loaded Pockets

Oh believe me I would be wearing those Luckys every day too! It's really really hard, at least for me, making the switch from a long-beloved pair to a new one.

That's very interesting. I have heard the same from some friends of mine. Frills are nice, but in the end, those plain but strong denims can bring out some awesome vintage fades. :)

And oh yeah! I love Heddels. It is an awesome resource. I was introduced to selvedge denim on Styleforum, then I switched over to Heddels because, among other things, they were more denim-centric in their focus. I also read a few other (now defunct) mags such as Free and Easy. So awesome.

thatotherguy likes this.
  8. thatotherguy

Well it took until I had to repair a blowout on my 501s after every wear until I retired them and even now I still wear them from time to time so I certainly know the feeling. They didn't last as long as I expected. I was kinda disappointed to be honest.

They've got a pretty decent vintage fade and some solid tate ochi for short wear high wash number big box store (literally; purchased at Goody's) jeans though.

crwoody likes this.
  9. crwoody

crwoody Loaded Pockets

Yeah, I have heard that about the 501s. It's a real shame because of the infamy of the brand, but oh well. I have been very curious as to the quality of the LVC collection, but I also enjoy having cash... lol.

Vintage fades have to be my favorite, and interestingly they can be the most difficult to pull off at times. I've never been too much of a fan when it comes to the trendier black and indigo-dark-blue-stitching fades... though there is a definite part of me which is curious about the N&F fade-to-red jeans XD

thatotherguy likes this.
  10. this_is_nascar

this_is_nascar Loaded Pockets

I hate unwashed denim. It feels too rough and uncomfortable. As a side note, back in my day, you would have gotten a serious :censored: whipping for wearing cuffs like tgat in my neighborhood. :)

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

kikaida, crwoody and thatotherguy like this.
  11. thatotherguy

If I didn't think I'd never actually wear it, I would be all over a rerelease of the N&F fade to rainbow jeans.

crwoody likes this.
  12. thatotherguy

I apologize for the terrible photo. I'm in the office.

Lucky Brand 121 Heritage Slim jeans, made in Los Angeles out of Cone Mills selvedge denim, worn almost 8 months in rotation with other pants (probably 4 months actual wear), one wash. Not very far along but getting there.[​IMG]

kye4some and crwoody like this.
  13. crwoody

crwoody Loaded Pockets

That's beautiful. Love the phone fade!! :) Thanks for the pic!

14. thatotherguy

The phone fade is actually starting to fray a little at the corner of the phone, even as young as this pair is. I guess I'm hard on my jeans.

Bonus shots of my Wrangler western jacket. Not technically raw- bought once washed- but worn as if it was raw and fading nicely for what it is. One year old, worn whenever it's cool enough to wear it, one wash. It's freezing in this office so it gets worn quite a bit when I'm stuck behind a desk instead of out in the field.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Edit: the jacket looks lighter than it is in the pics. It's actually Wrangler's infamous blueberry blue right now. For reference the collar where it folds is faded dirty white. I have no idea how that area faded so quickly.

crwoody likes this.
  15. crwoody

crwoody Loaded Pockets

RRL Slim Fit Rigid jeans. My previous everyday wear. These jeans have a sad story. I bought them at Christmas last year, but unfortunately I lost some weight and they wouldn't fit :(

They have some good fades on them. I really like RRL products. :) The uneven denim is extremely nice.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

16. thatotherguy

It's too bad those are out of commission. You were working on some killer whiskers.

crwoody likes this.
  17. crwoody

crwoody Loaded Pockets

Thank you! And believe me, I am torn up as well. I would buy those jeans again in a heartbeat.

Also, your wrangler jacket is EPIC. I must confess I have never had a raw denim jacket. I have a light blue pre-washed Levi's sherpa, but nothing raw. You're making me want one.

18. thatotherguy

This one was something like $34 on the river site. I bought it because I didn't know if I would like denim (too light for winter, too heavy for late spring and early fall) so I didn't want to drop a bunch of money on a decent Type 3 (I don't consider the current standard line Levi's one decent. Not for the price they charge- too thin and construction isn't up to par for a $70 denim jacket). Picked this one up and ended up wearing it a LOT under my Filson Mackinaw Cruiser as a windbreaker layer. On the coldest days I wore an Asbell 32oz wool pullover, this jacket, and my Cruiser and I was always toasty warm, even in driving wind.

crwoody likes this.
  19. crwoody

crwoody Loaded Pockets

New boots n' selvedge. Hope you all are enjoying this awesome day. :)[​IMG]

20. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

I see something in your pocket.