1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The Quantum DD (and other versions)

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by SAKplumber, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Theron

Theron Loaded Pockets

I'll be all over a stainless steel or copper version if it comes in under $150. I wouldn't pay more than that for a neck light.

I almost bought one of these to resell, but I'd rather not profit from fellow flashaholics. Plus I have already spent over $500 this month on lights and batteries. The wife would kill me.

kertap75 likes this.
  2. VoodooChicken

VoodooChicken Loaded Pockets

The trits alone will cost you 100$ .Like I say,this is a luxury flashlight .
    I would love for these to be mass produced in stainless where we could source our own tritium and Norland and install ..but that will never happen..Any metals besides stainless and Ti can't hold the threads.
    I hope to own one of these someday .And I will pay .i think they are cool as ....

3. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

Trits are best when used sparingly, IMO, as they are better locators than illumination tools. That said...I'm already planning on buying 9 of them for my own installation :p.

4. r-ice
    • In Omnia Paratus

r-ice Loaded Pockets

thats pretty much how much the 44 dd cost.

5. Ckundred

Ckundred Empty Pockets

Was wondering if any of you have had a problem with 10180 batteries. I just bought two unprotected ones from Lighthound, charged them up and then put them in the light. The light didn't work with either. My light works fine with the one that it came with. Any thoughts/advice?

6. VoodooChicken

VoodooChicken Loaded Pockets

It's possible you could have recieved 2 duds but I doubt it ..it's more likely that the plastic wrap on the cells sit higher than the button on the cell .This will prevent it from engaging the QTC.Does it look like this is the case?

7. Ckundred

Ckundred Empty Pockets

It does look like the plastic sits high....any secrets to shaving it down?

8. KuKu

KuKu Loaded Pockets

Shave the plastic off the back of the "non-Veleno batteries" :rolleyes:

Heywood Floyd likes this.
  9. KuKu

KuKu Loaded Pockets

Can't edit for some reason.
    Place the blade flat against the back side and turn.
    You should be able to shave off a nice neat circle without too much difficulty.

10. Ckundred

Ckundred Empty Pockets

Thanks, I'll give it a shot!

11. Ckundred

Ckundred Empty Pockets

It worked, thanks all! It was actually the wrapping on the bottom (not the button side)....I first shaved the top and nothing....I then went to the bottom and shaved it slightly and it worked...both batteries are now good to go...

Appreciate the advice!

12. nitevision

nitevision Loaded Pockets

Hi all,
    I was wondering if any German friends here have had problems ordering the Quantum D2 with the tritium included, due to the 1GBq limit imposed by German law. Has anyone had their Quantum D2 confiscated by customs?

Edit: Emailed VD and apparently there isn't an issue. Ordered one for myself. Fingers crossed!

Last edited by nitevision, Sep 19, 2013
  13. Yuri81

Yuri81 Loaded Pockets

I like my Quantum D2 but it isn't my favorite, I think that small pill will go damage after while it has good finish and the size is good but that pill make it bit vulnerable. it has cheap competitor Ultrafire Ti AAA with bit of a DIY can be as small as D2, use 2/3 AAA battery. Have a look.
    [​IMG]
    Its still bit smaller but nearly there :)

For hanging on keys i made small stainless steel carabiner which work quite well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Really secure hold on keys, i use these on my other stuff as well.
    USB for example [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. andyroo

andyroo Loaded Pockets

My lumintop worm died on me, which is what caused me to get the quantum dd for my keychain. I don't often worry about battery juice, but after crushing one I'm wary of twisting too tight. Looking into getting a light for my pocket so I don't use my keychain light as much.

15. BklynBoy

BklynBoy Loaded Pockets

I've had my D2 on my keyring for about 3 weeks. So far, I love it and am still on the first charge. I use it rarely and for short periods, otherwise I would also wonder how much juice is left, but I just got a Sunwayman V11 for pocket carry/dog walking, so I do not worry about remaining charge on the D2

16. Suillira1

Suillira1 Empty Pockets

Been thinking about picking one up but I noticed that people were changing the trits at the beginning of this thread. Is/Was there an issue with the ones being used?

Sent from my brain using Tapatalk 2

17. Heywood Floyd

Heywood Floyd Loaded Pockets

The Quantum DD & D2 versions were not originally shipped with Tritium vials installed. The latest QD2s direct from Veleno Designs (Steve Ku = Designer) have them as a buy option. So many, like yours truly, purchased Quantums and retrofitted Tritium vials to them.
    Maybe you are thinking of the QTC pills. The Quantum Tunnelling Compound. It is a compound that reduces electrical resistance when under load. It sits between the battery and emitter and gets squeezed when you screw the Quantum head which drives the emitter with more beans. They look like a small square piece of rubber like material. I have SS & Ti Quantums, have spare QTC pills but have never had to change any. HTHs.
    Rancho eh ... many moons ago used to have an apartment on Foothill!

Suillira1 and Nick4305 like this.
  18. xyz

xyz Loaded Pockets

Speaking of trits, the ones I received with my D2 are bright. I wrote off tritium previously because two h3 watches I had in the past were very dim. I guess they must have been old stock.

[​IMG]

19. will smith

will smith Empty Pockets

gawd i want one!!

20. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

I ordered extra 4 tabs with my 40DD. It's still on the original after about two years of EDC. I ended up giving a couple away since they weren't wearing out.

I know some folks have service problems but the design is pretty durable. No driver...lithium cell...square QTC tab.