1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The Quantum DD (and other versions)

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by SAKplumber, Nov 6, 2012.

1. dyril

dyril Loaded Pockets

It could be me, but does anyone else find that the Nichia 219 is more finicky in operation in these lights compared to the XP-G2 LED?

2. e2dwml

e2dwml Loaded Pockets

I love this little light!

[​IMG]

Tixx, grids7, Heywood Floyd and 2 others like this.
  3. Heywood Floyd

Heywood Floyd Loaded Pockets

That's an interesting observation and am keen to know more. I'm using both the XP-G2 and Nichia 219 LEDs but haven't noticed anything in particular aside from the specified differing light output. Do yo mean by finicky more attention to control output? I find QTC based light output, irrespective of emitter, generally needs extra control karma.
    I've found QTC pill performance to vary over time. Using contact cleaning products (eg Deoxit) with pill removed can help with erratic output.
    YMMV

dyril likes this.
  4. dyril

dyril Loaded Pockets

I concluded that, after having tried 2 instances of each emitter: a pair not by me, and a pair by me (pills and bare LEDs from illuminationsupply). I'm finding that the XP-G2's can ramp from off beginning at ultra-low output, and the Nichia 219's tend to skip the lowest possible outputs. Unrelated, but I can't direct drive the 219's, using a conductive spacer.

I'll have to get some Deoxit, although I am probably in need of more QTC squares, too..

Heywood Floyd likes this.
  5. Glofindel

Glofindel Loaded Pockets

hi Tower, would you kindly tell me where to get those tiny tritium rods?
    I live in Melbourne, Australia so online shop with international shipping would be great.
    Thank you

6. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

CPF or Candlepowerforums. Do a search for tritium and you should have three or four sources.

I'm Moobile, Baby!!!

Glofindel likes this.
  7. Heywood Floyd

I'm in Aus and regularly get them from here ...

KuKu, Take2 and Glofindel like this.
  8. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

Kuku427, the source in your post, is the creator of the Quantum series, otherwise known as Steve Ku at Veleno Designs.:)

I'm Moobile, Baby!!!

KuKu and Take2 like this.
  9. Heywood Floyd

Thanks cowsmilk :)

KuKu likes this.
  10. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

. Yep, I got mine from Steve as well. Thanks, all.

KuKu and Glofindel like this.
  11. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

I gotcher back!:)

KuKu and Take2 like this.
  12. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

Udaman!

Take2 and cowsmilk like this.
  13. dyril

dyril Loaded Pockets

I got some "14mm" clear silicone o-rings from eBay to slip over the grooves of a Quantum with trits installed. I don't know how they are truly sized, because the nominal sizes do not match the actual measurements.

Intended for use with gauges/body jewelry, they are "diluted-milky" rather than optically clear, but still somewhat let the trits show through (~60%, I'd say). The color saturation is lessened (not quite pastel), and some of the light very subtly diffuses around the rings.

Gripwise, they work about the same as the 7/16" x 5/16" x 1/16" Buna-N o-rings I put on a D2, but since they are 2mm thick, they don't fully fit in the grooves without localized stretching. I think "12mm" or "11mm" ones, being stretched thinner, might work better. Specific to a Quantum Ti with trits installed, doing this mod is one way to avoid contacting the sharp edges of the milled grooves. The D2's edges are much smoother.

EDIT: A long exposure shot
    [​IMG]

EDITS: I just checked the packing slip. Apparently I received 11mm o-rings. FWIW the rings measure 13mm x 9mm x 2mm.

If you get water on the rings they make a squishy sound when squeezed. I'm guessing water gets in between the dadoes and trits. Oh well

Silicone is stretchy, and thusly in this configuration tends to slip off. Better use a much smaller diameter o-ring size.

Trying some 6mm ones to see if they stay. Stretching them turns them closer to white in certain spots. I think 8mm might be an optimal size. seems to work and over time they become consistent in coloration.

On a different note, I get a higher range of output after replacing the magnet with a slightly taller one, instead of removing the first retaining ring.

Last edited by dyril, May 30, 2013
    Tixx, Brokenbuyer, KuKu and 2 others like this.
  14. stargazin

stargazin Loaded Pockets

Gman44116 likes this.
  15. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

Any good fishing supply house. I get mine from Hi's Tackle Box .com

16. Brokenbuyer

Brokenbuyer Loaded Pockets

What's the general way of clipping the D2 onto a keychain? Right now I'm using the split ring it came with. I tried the triangle but didn't feel comfortable/safe with it clipped like that.

Not sure what I'm looking for, so just looking for some other options.
    [​IMG]

Tixx likes this.
  17. Heywood Floyd

Hi BB, if you're interested in using some form of clip you might want to check out my earlier experience post here ...
    Good luck.

Brokenbuyer likes this.
  18. Heywood Floyd

Hi Dyril, sorry this is a bit late in the day but regarding your last edited paragraph. I've Q DDs/D2s/Ti Customs and the D2s & Customs have their QTC pill at the emitter end along with two stacked locking rings as you mentioned. The DD only has one locking ring. On my D2s & Tis I found on occasion it was possible for the battery to engage the second locking ring and loosen it. The resulting complication was reduced QTC pinch and hence emitter output and worse case no current supply at all. After the latter occurred I decided to remove the second locking ring and since have had zero problems, healthy emitter output and now spare locking rings.

dyril likes this.
  19. Here Comes The BOOM

Here Comes The BOOM EDC Junkie!!!!!

I took the lanyard of my contraption for summer wear, I now clip my DD to my shirt collar like this:

[​IMG]

angusW, Heywood Floyd and Tixx like this.
  20. Gman44116

Gman44116 Loaded Pockets

They're called SPRO heavy swivel.