1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The Quantum DD (and other versions)

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by SAKplumber, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Heywood Floyd

Heywood Floyd Loaded Pockets

Hey xyz, greetings from the same novel!

xyz and angusW like this.
  2. joelbnyc

joelbnyc Loaded Pockets

I'm loving my D2....

As for that gitd lens, I wonder if it lowers the output? I've hear of gitd reflectors but not gitd lenses.

Sent from Winterfell using a Raven

3. casey pot

casey pot Empty Pockets

I don't have any way of measuring the output but if it does effect it at all its very minimally. From everything I have read the lens doesn't look perfectly clear on the lights and this one doesn't either. But it's still very much clear enough. The output is fantastic for the size. I actually just went to the Wanamaker gun show in Tulsa ok and I showed it to one of the flashlight vendors and her gave me a really nice SS keychain light just for telling him about it and where he can purchase one. Very cool guy and this light is paying for itself!

4. OreoGaborio

OreoGaborio Loaded Pockets

Where can i get a new QTC pill? Thinking I may not be getting full output before the battery 'bottoms out' on the hard parts.

5. OreoGaborio

SAKplumber likes this.
  6. Heywood Floyd

For anybody who is interested to know about what clip/biners work with Quantum DD/D2/Ti lights here is a summary of my experience.

All those on the LHS of the DD & Ti will not work without modification. All those on the RHS will work out of the box.

Specifically they are with comment as follows;

LHS - TTB
    Dutchware mini ultralight titanium biner ~36.5 mm overall length - Gate too short
    McGizmo Titanium Micro Clip ~ 25.5 mm - Too wide/thick
    McGizmo Titanium Clip ~ 34 mm - Too wide/thick
    Bean SS Clip ~ 31.5 mm - Hook thickens and binds.
    Python SS Clip ~ 28 mm - Gate landing too large
    S-Biner SS clip ~ 35.5 mm - clip curve too thick
    S-Biner plastic clip ~ 30 mm (size #0) - clip curve too thick

RHS - TTB
    S-Biner SS clip ~ 40 mm (size #1) - CAUTION - can work open on tail end without suitable mod.
    S-Biner SS clip ~ 33 mm (size #0.5) - CAUTION - can work open on tail end without suitable mod.
    John Doe generic clip from ID pass (FIIK correct designation or origin) ~ 32.5 - Works well
    TEC 1/2" Snap ring SS ~ 23 mm - Works well (from J.S.Burly's)
    McGizmo SS Nano Clip ~ 20 mm - Works well

Of course the split rings and triangle loops originally supplied with the lights work fine but I move these lights around a fair bit for duty. Currently I'm using the sometimes maligned S-Biners. The S-Biners used are secured via modification either by design ("MicroLock") or with some shrink wrap plastic (S-Biner size 0.5). More info on the latter is here. I thinned out the MicroLock version (Quantum Ti in the foreground) to fit.

Hope your Quantum never goes MIA!

[​IMG]

Last edited by Heywood Floyd, Sep 30, 2015
    MWDP, Coolz, persco and 6 others like this.
  7. Zach.Held

Zach.Held Empty Pockets

i wanna get one of these bad boys in titanium. Can anyone point me in the right direction

8. Heywood Floyd

Sorry. Wish I could help with some directions but the build was sold out some time ago. Probably your best bet would be to keep track of Buy/Sell/Trade in this and other forums.

9. KeyeEl

KeyeEl EDC Junkie!!!!!

Sold out. Your best bet is posting a Want To Buy thread over on Candlepowerforums

10. OreoGaborio

Put a small metal spacer in the bottom under the battery. WOOT! Getting more QTC compression. Way brighter now!

MKLight likes this.
  11. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

pics please!

12. Quixotica

Quixotica Loaded Pockets

You know, ever since I started wearing this bugger around my neck, I use it more than my Eagletac. And I just keep my Eagletac in turbo mode now for when I'm outside and need to find what tree the in-laws cat is in this time. (I have to rescue that stupid cat at least once a week).

Around the house, I use my Quantum DD for everything. I never knew how much I needed a QTC light until I had one. And I've only had to charge the battery once. :dance:

joelbnyc and SAKplumber like this.
  13. OreoGaborio

Nothin special.... It's literally just a piece of a paper clip that I bent till it broke, then bent in half a little to fit.

[​IMG]The two halves of the light were contacting eachother before the QTC was fully compressed so I wasn't getting full output. Tried screwing it in the inner ring a little but it was already snug.

Now the battery sits up above the bottom half of the light a little.

[​IMG]

angusW, Heywood Floyd and SAKplumber like this.
  14. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

Thanks for the pics! I may have to try this:)

15. angusW

angusW EDC Junkie!!!

Is that a D2? Just wondering if that would work in the DD as well but don't have it on me at the moment to compare.

16. Heywood Floyd

It shouldn't be necessary on a DD. My DDs will light up full bore without the QTC pill. Sort of a nice failsafe.

The QTC pill is at the tail end of the DD and head end in the D2 and Ti versions. My D2 and Ti will not light up without a an installed QTC pill or some form of conductive spacer.

17. rodloos

rodloos Loaded Pockets

That looks like an interesting fix to add that metal spacer, I may have to try that on mine, it doesn't seem nearly as bright as it should be. Maybe a tiny washer would slip in there just right?

In the meantime I have a 2nd D2 on the way, it was hard to resist the sale price :) and that way I can compare the brightness of the two.

18. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

I hadn't tried it yet but I was wondering how this works. If the qtc wasn't compressing all the way doesn't the paperclip make the battery come in contact with the bottom and therefore keep the QTC from compressing? Isn't the paperclip conductive? I guess not or the light would be on high as soon as the battery came into contact with the clip. Which would give you a great high setting and not a lot of low setting range.

19. Heywood Floyd

The QTC pill is at the tail end of the DD and head end in the D2 and Ti versions. My D2 and Ti will not light up without a an installed QTC pill or some form of conductive spacer.
    It looks OreoGaborio's Quantum is a D2 model.

SAKplumber likes this.
  20. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

My backup today at work:)
    [​IMG]

e2dwml, Tixx, Take2 and 1 other person like this.