1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The Quantum DD (and other versions)

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by SAKplumber, Nov 6, 2012.

1. IBcrashen

IBcrashen Loaded Pockets

2. judgecrandall

judgecrandall Loaded Pockets

Got my Quantum D2 the other day. Looks awesome, but I'm finding it takes a lot of effort to turn. Really hoping the threads loosen up over time.

3. MKLight

MKLight Loaded Pockets

I'm having the same exact issue. I was able to get the outter retaining ring removed, but can't get the inner one to budge. Is it safe to only use the inner one? I let Steve know, but then I thought I had fixed it. I guess I should email Craig, too I have the DD, D2, and Ti...and the battery holder. I love these little lights!

Last edited by MKLight, Mar 22, 2013
  4. Heywood Floyd

Heywood Floyd Loaded Pockets

In regards to the Quantum threads, I've had no issue with any of them (DD/D2/Ti) being too stiff. They all work smoothly and do wear in a bit from use. But that is predicated on the fact by habit I always put some lube on the threads and O-ring seal. It seems to have a more beneficial effect on Titanium threads as they can gaul. In fact I've had seizure and thread failure on high end bicycle Ti-Ti thread components without the correct lube.

My experience with PFPE/PTFE greases is mainly DuPont Krytox GPL-205 and 240-AB. I use GPL-205 on the Quantums.

ref: http://www2.dupont.com/Lubricants/en_US/

dyril and Blerv like this.
  5. OreoGaborio

OreoGaborio Loaded Pockets

Last week:
    [​IMG]

This week:
    [​IMG]

Mmmmmmm... Deeee Twooooooo
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Undead, gmgalmeida, MKLight and 4 others like this.
  6. Heywood Floyd

First impressions ? Whatayareckon? Pros/Cons?

7. OreoGaborio

OreoGaborio Loaded Pockets

I dig it. It wasn't QUITE as bright as I was expecting, but I'm 100% certain that's only because of the wide flood beam and it was something I should have expected. Once I took that into account I realized it IS quite powerful, puts out quite a bit of usable light.

I love the fact that I can turn it on SUPER low and only get as much light as needed to get the job done.

And I'm also pretty impressed with how small of a package it is. It's barely bigger than the Streamlight Nano!

angusW and SAKplumber like this.
  8. persco

persco Loaded Pockets

Also: 38DD Ti (maybe SS too?) and 44DD can't quite remember all of the versions previous to the Quantum, but there were a few runs.

9. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

He also did anodized ti and Damascus of each.

10. Heywood Floyd

Do you have any URL's for Damascus versions? I've looked but my [Insert Search Engine Name Here]Fu has been fruitless.
    TIA

11. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

Found this on the first page of "insert your choice of internet search engine". Searched for "Veleno + Designs + Damascus"
    [​IMG]

I'm Moobile, Baby!!!

Glofindel, KeyeEl, SAKplumber and 3 others like this.
  12. Heywood Floyd

Wow, Very nice. Thanks for helping me out Milk. I was trying with "Quantum + Damascus" in my search string. Silly me got deflected by Quantum.

13. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

Just got lucky, that's all. It sure is nice looking with the blue trits! I wouldn't mind finding an anodized version of the new quantum ti on the secondary market either.

I'm Moobile, Baby!!!

14. dyril

dyril Loaded Pockets

At least for now, I've settled on something to make it easier to twist the Quantum Ti around my neck on a stainless steel ball chain:

[​IMG]

I linked 2 ball chain connectors onto a minimal 3 ball span that wedge snugly in the lug channels and can pivot, somewhat like ball joints.
    I hope I can undo it later. :oops:

Take2, Heywood Floyd and SAKplumber like this.
  15. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

I bought my 40DD and ordered like 5 tabs. I'm on the original and have given a couple away.

I even took one and hooked it up to a 3xXML direct drive light that pulls somewhere around 9a. It still worked afterwards but didn't give the light a range of adjustable output as I hoped. It's pretty sturdy stuff.

16. joelbnyc

joelbnyc Loaded Pockets

Ah I'm so torn abt whether to order a D2 or not...

I just got a tiny Preon P0 for the keychain, which I love but is not nearly so bright as the D2, nor infinitely variable. Although AAA eneloops have 10x the capacity of a 10180.

And I have a 618 otf lumen 4-inch Eagletac D25LC2 XML2 in the mail for edc in my bag.. So I'm pretty much covered, and spent my flashlight budget...

But still, that D2 is so tempting.... I could just get it and give my P0 as a gift! Arg need to go to flashaholics anonymous

Sent from somewhere using something

angusW likes this.
  17. lyricist

lyricist Guest

Hi all, got a D2, what an amazing thing! Science fiction kind of wow. One question, the battery is free to knock back and forth when off in the tube, is that normal? There is no magnet or anything in the tube for retention?

18. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

IMHO a Quantum is best as a necklace; for a keychain anything small is just as good. Plus having a real switch is easier to turn on/off when holding a handful of keys.

I don't know how long a Quantum would shine at 25 lumens (like the P0) but it's a decent amount of time. Since many don't restrict their light usage and crank it on high the P0 prevents excessive drain. = Advantage P0

For low light use the Quantum I believe is a bit better. You have access to much lower output than .25 lumens and with the tiny optic it actually throws a decent beam. Also, with the higher voltage it can run the LED w/o a driver and not being regulated the output will dim over time. = Advantage Quantum

joelbnyc and angusW like this.
  19. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

I bet its not the battery. I thought the D2 had a smaller battery so it was easier to get out, but I am curious if it still rattles when the battery is removed. The retainer ring may be loose allowing the LED to rattle. Just a thought, though I only have the DD.

20. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

As I understand (I don't have it) the D2 has a revised body to allow the battery to come out easier. My 40DD seems similar to the Quantum DD (1.0) and you have thwap it out pretty hard.