1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The Quantum DD (and other versions)

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by SAKplumber, Nov 6, 2012.

1. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Whatever it is. :rolleyes: Maybe you didn't review one, but you were asking for others the share a review for you're benefit. That info could benefit others as well. Why you didn't just ask in the Quantum thread, I don't know.
    I was trying to be helpful. Excuse me for linking your thread when I asked you to and you didn't know how.

Last edited by SAKplumber, May 13, 2013
    angusW likes this.
  2. infintium

infintium Loaded Pockets

Bought my brother a Quantum DD for his birthday. Our dad was impressed, so we might buy him one for Father's Day. Then I'll be the odd man out, so I might have to get myself one. I can't help but feel I brought this upon myself!

Blerv, angusW, Take2 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Coolz

Coolz Loaded Pockets

I love my Quantum Ti. It took the place of the of my trusty Quantum DD on my tool chain.
    [​IMG]

4. Here Comes The BOOM

Here Comes The BOOM EDC Junkie!!!!!

Most of you probably already seen this, but I just came across it & can't remember seeing it posted here before so I figured I'd share:

[​IMG]

Those are all 5 DDs :eek:

Source: click me

I think that's the Nichia 219 second from the right? It looks pretty awesome anyways :D

Idaho Gunslinger, Coolz and Tixx like this.
  5. Mills

Mills Empty Pockets

After reading about this flashlight for awhile I ended up giving in and buying one (quantum D2) for myself. I must say it is the coolest flashlight I have used. The only thing I have noticed is that the flashlight is not very split ring friendly. I'm guessing that's because of all of the tritium fans out there :p. If the tritium slots weren't there the hole needed for a split ring could be located on the circumference. The flashlight would also be smaller too. However it's still the coolest flashlight I have owned.:)

Lone Airedale likes this.
  6. Mills

Mills Empty Pockets

Also in case anyone was on the fence about purchasing the quantum D2 over the quantum DD, Illumination Supply is selling the quantum D2 on Amazon for the cool price of $65.00 with free shipping.

Coolz and sarxsvt like this.
  7. judgecrandall

judgecrandall Loaded Pockets

Awesome, thanks for the heads up! Just ordered one. Was gonna get the DD, but might as well get the newer version for basically the same price. Hopefully the new finish holds up well on a keychain.

8. sarxsvt

sarxsvt Loaded Pockets

Well this thread finally got me. Thanks for the tip about the D2 on Amazon, now otw to my doorstep!

Coolz likes this.
  9. twoisone
    • In Omnia Paratus

twoisone EDC Junkie!!!

Just ordered the DD. Here's hoping it will light up the doghouse I'm sure my wife will be sending me to.

10. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

:rofl: It'll do. :D

11. angusW

angusW EDC Junkie!!!

I think my Wife almost sent me out back to the shop when she saw the bill for the two Spyderco Native 5's I got from Jon. My DD does a good job of lighting up my shop though so I'm good :)

SAKplumber and e2dwml like this.
  12. sarxsvt

sarxsvt Loaded Pockets

D2 came today, but its almost like it has a "spot" on the lens. I tried a couple times to take a picture of it so I could post it. I'm not sure what to make of it. It looks like its either a bad place in the lens or a drop of lubricant or moisture that made it inside the lens.

How would I go about getting the to the lens so I could see if it was something I could clean off?

13. Mills

Mills Empty Pockets

I think what you're referring to is typical with this light. The lens is going to look foggy or as if there is moisture trapped inside it due to the type of lens used.

14. angusW

angusW EDC Junkie!!!

Go to page 12 of this thread and you'll see closeup pics, that someone made ;), of the retaining ring that holds the led in. Once you get the retaining ring off you can use something like a pencil with an eraser on the end of the light to push the lens in and inspect it.

SAKplumber likes this.
  15. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

Link>>Here<< is a few more pics, that someone made;), lol:D

angusW likes this.
  16. sarxsvt

sarxsvt Loaded Pockets

Definitely not just the frosted coating on the lens.

Thanks for the disassembly instructions, definitely a flaw in the lens.

Its just a small circular defect along the edge of the the lens.

Ugh!

17. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

Tanke a picture of it if you can and contact Steve Ku, aka KuKu on EDCF. Getting another lens can't be that big of a deal:)

18. Heywood Floyd

Heywood Floyd Loaded Pockets

The S-Biner 0.5 fits well on the Quantum DD/D2/Ti tail but as mentioned in my earlier post, here, the gate design is not secure without some additional measure.

My additional measure was some shrink wrap tubing on the gate lock.

OK … the inability to easily open one side of the S-Biner at the Quantum tail end defeats one feature but there are some advantages. Not having to have a split ring and ease of gate operation at the other end coupled with overall shorter assembly length was a worthwhile tryout for me. The S-Biner also adds some purchase for one handed operation.

See the pic with spare batt pod, split ring and plastic S-Biner 0 for comparison.

Please let me know if you have any other alternative mounting suggestions aside from McGismo type clips, triangle and split rings.

[​IMG]

Last edited by Heywood Floyd, Aug 26, 2014
    Nick4305, Glofindel, Kripto and 2 others like this.
  19. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

Personally, with my experience with S-biners, I would do that to the other side too. That is awesome BTW:)

20. Random Dan

Random Dan Loaded Pockets

It's a shame Niteize doesn't make a slidelock #1.

angusW likes this.