Separate names with a comma.
Are you a current member with account or password issues?
Please visit following page for more information
Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by SAKplumber, Nov 6, 2012.
Not to mention Titanium won't rust. It's possible to get a little spotting (in theory) on the normal SS version.
Given the low-output nature of the light I think SS is a nice compromise of features. Good threads, somewhat durable to banging around, very cheap. It seems slightly heavier than a wedding band.
Ok, I've had a little more time to play with this little light & there are some things I noticed/have questions about.
1. are these all numbered & was I just lucky enough to get the cool #250, or do they all say '250' on the back?
2. anyone that has one of these, please indulge me & try this too if this isn't a known flaw: if you turn your DD on and then off again, and turn it a little further off even, lets say a quarter of an inch or so. Now drop it on a hard surface from just an inch or so. Mine turns on every time I do this, & it has me worrying about turning it on by accident if it bumps in to anything hard. A simple solution is to turn it off further, but that makes it that it needs two twists to turn on again which makes it really hard to turn on the light one handed. Do they all do this or is there something wrong with mine?
3. the light flickers heavily every time I adjust the light-strength, & I believe I've read about this in this thread earlier so I assume they all do that. It doesn't interfere with the functioning of the light but it annoys me nevertheless. This is my most expensive flashlight (yeah, you can laugh, you flashlight snobs ) & a light at this price point just shouldn't do that imo.
I still love it though, I probably still keep (and keep using) it if those things simply come with it. It would keep me from buying another one of these though.
2 and 3 are due to the QTC tab. It's a spongy material and allows for current to pass through depending how far it's compressed.
The flicker and tendency to come on if not fully disengaged are nuances of the material. The advantages are extremely high current threshold (like 10a) with low loss, very sensitive for low current allowing low output, and durability for a great number of compressions.
It's not for everyone. Personally I'll take it to a driver in 9/10 situations. It a well tuned and easily/cheaply replaced carburetor in a world of complicated and nearly irreparable electronic systems.
1. Mine has 0909 on the back so you got the cool number
2. It's normal with the QTC. My QDD as well as my Peak Eiger with QTC does it.
3. It's not a function of the flashlight but the QTC. Until a better design comes up, I think most lights with QTC will do that.
That's your most expensive light? You flashlight noob. We laugh at your noobness ahahahaha!!!
EDIT: Blerv beat me to it.
Just remember, it's an expensive light but pretty much a $60 custom with a charger and battery. Small or not that factor makes it a bit more expensive. The accessories aren't free either.
I'm sure Steve could outsource them somehow and cut the price in half. It wouldn't be the same light though. SS allows merlot at Bud Light pricing.
Just stick a second QTC pill inside and it will work more smoothly. I try to say that in every discussion where QTC is involved. Works more smoothly and less flicker. Congrats on the little light! They are well worth their cost in my opinion.
Thanks for all the replies guys!
I'll guess I'll learn to live with it then, and/or go hunt for an additional pill
And you're right Blerv, it is a pretty complete package & well finished product for what you pay for it. I certainly appreciate the craftsmanship that's put in to it & definitely wouldn't want it to become a mass-product!
Steve Ku told me that the flickering was due to the Retainer Ring not being tight enough. When my DD failed the retainer ring was loose and the emitter and curcuit board would rattle in the lens end. I don't have a proper tool for that ring but a larger paper clip fit it quite nicely. Once I tightened it it didn't so that flickering as much. I haven't received another piece of QTC as I think mine is okay and guess that I just need to order some myself. I will order some more, as it is pretty cheap, but I haven't done it
Best thing in the world is a second QTC in Steve's lights. Been doing it since the 38DD run and every one of his lights since. Don't have to crush the battery as much either to get to that awesome high.
FateOn3 sent me this link for QTC and stuff from Veleno Designs...http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?282841-Veleno-Designs-Quantum-Ti
For the record, when Steve Ku saw this thread he messaged me and told me that if I had any more problems out of it that he would take care of it ASAP. He also said that towards the end of the DD run he had so many blisters on his fingers that he may not have torqued down on the retainer rings enough.
I guess it's a matter of diagnosing the reason for flickering. My non-Quantum lights with QTC do that same song and dance.
That's much cheaper than the link I gave you for the QTC. Nice.
I'll have to try out the second piece of QTC and see if it smooths out. Thanks for the idea Tixx
Cool. I was having trouble finding your link in my convos I copied the first one I found.
Me too. Someday...when I order it
And I'm still loving that very 38DD Ti, Tixx!
Sure! It really has made all the lights I have of his much smoother. My 44DD I wear daily has 2 in it right now. Side by side is best. I don't worry about it going off the edges of center, just don't overlap the pills.
Sweet little light! Oh! You bought it from me? Did not know that was you. Cool! Looked at it way more than used it.
Ha ha! Yeah, like a year ago I bought it from you off CPF. It was your advice to use two QTC pills and it worked liked a charm. I just busted one of the trit vials, though. Big bummer. The light is great. Although I'm eyeing one of the Quantum Ti DDs. The design is better for the trits, I think... Half of me hopes Steve sells them all before I get too itchy. I'm sure there'll be another run of Ti DDs sometime...
How did you break the vial ?