1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The point of an EDC flashlight?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Gezab, Oct 23, 2010.

1. jw2n

jw2n Empty Pockets

Well, I have carried life insurance for the past 34 years and have yet to use it. Maybe I should cancel it. I smell a troll.

2. Roger

Roger Loaded Pockets

Great story/example of an EDC light.
    I have the minor power outage story and the lost earring under the table but stories like this trump those anyday!

3. Smousefam5

Smousefam5 Loaded Pockets

Had the power go out while sitting in a stall in a public restroom...very happy to have had a light that day!

4. WillCAD

WillCAD Loaded Pockets

Yeah, bathrooms tend to be interior rooms in a home or building, with no windows. Fortunately, most bathrooms in public buildings have some aux lights in them, but not all, and when the lights go out, it gets REALLY dark in there, like a closet. Having your own light source makes it possible to get out of the room without walking into a door or wall in the dark (which is very painful, I've done it).

5. old dirt

old dirt Empty Pockets

Hi everyone, got to chime in here. Just 2 weeks ago, we were on board a small passenger ocean vessel when the generator conked out at 11 in the evening. The engine was still running but the power supply for the lights and outlets were out. It was pitch dark in the ocean. Turned on my 120 lumens light, ceiling bounced it and the other passengers were kind of thankful. 30 minutes later the gen was repaired. Lights from celfons don't cut it. Just 1 small flashlight made the people calmer...and that's why some do carry it all the time. You'll never know when you need it!

6. mta5888

mta5888 Loaded Pockets

I have several edc and tactical quality lights that I change out and carry. I have pen lighhts like the Streamlight Stylus Pro, size of a big pen and running bout 35 lumens. I've used it in computer tech work, I've had it in my pocket during power outages while i was using the bathroom(thats terrible btw) and most recently I was in a building for a job interview after which I was departing and noticed a scene and someone in a locked office was pasted out on the ground in there, well the decision was made to go through glass cause supposely this lady was thought to be pregnant. so being an emt all my bigger lights have some kind of glass breeching something on and luckly i had one of my surefires with me. so went through the glass evaled the lady and ems arrived and all was good. i think it was a blood sugar issue. i use the small pin lights for getting in when it's dark. i can see where to put my key and not trip over stuff inside the house. plus lights especially with strobe r good for night time self defense.i love lights.

7. Mdiggyy

Mdiggyy Empty Pockets

At my old job, the lights in the bathroom had motion sensors. Unfortunately, the motion sensor was blocked by the stalls so if you were in there for more than 5 minutes, the lights would shut off and it would literally become pitch black inside. I've learner to always appreciate having a light source within arm's reach.

8. antman119

antman119 Banned

Photon = most powerful light in any circumstance... It is always with you and isnt never in the way, it can help see whats under your feet at night, it can be used at night when you're walkin through the house not wanting to use the lights, I juse the clip with mine to read books at night.. used to find something in the car at night, power outtages in stores long enough to get back to your car.. Now my cell phone has a great flashlight on it, mytouch 4g.. the light is GREAT but drains the battery very very bad... everyone should have a photon.

9. WillCAD

WillCAD Loaded Pockets

Photons are wonderful, but I prefer the cheap-as-dirt fauxtons I get from DealExtreme. They're not as bright as Photons, and not as well built, but they're the same size, 1/20 the cost ($4.70 or so for a 10-pack with free shipping), so simple that they're reasonably tough, and still VERY bright compared to other, more expensive lights I see in stores.

I buy them in bulk and hand them out to just about everyone I know - family, friends, co-workers etc. That way, I'm putting my money where my mouth is, because I don't just THINK everyone should have a decent light on them at all times, I actually DO my best to make it happen!

10. jproctor

jproctor Loaded Pockets

Why not carry a light? I can't count how many times I've been glad I do carry a light. I can't count how many times I've been the only person around when someone has said "Anyone have a flashlight"?

Point being you never know when you may need one. I carry a Glock as well which is may NEVER use but it's there if I need it. :)

11. Barkley666

Barkley666 Empty Pockets

Why? Drop your keys on a parking lot, or on your gravel driveway ... have fun looking for them at night without a light!

But even worse, you're riding when it's dark outside (doesn't have to be at night, think about early in the morning at winter, going to work) ... BAM! ... car stops working in the middle of nowhere ... there you are, alone on the road in a broken car, with no light at all (the lights from your car don't work). Here (France), there aren't lights on the roads (only at the highway), so its pitch dark (like in a closet), you'll be very very very happy to have a flashlight with you. For a) be able to walk if needed b) warning others your car is there while waiting for help, or c) being able to fix (change a tire) thanks to your light.

A flashlight is a HAVE TO item for everybody who rides a car/bike.

12. jackthedog

jackthedog Loaded Pockets

I rarely use the Quark 123 I carry, but it's nice to have. More often than not I've used it while walking to the car or trying to locate the lock on a front door.

13. Alex F

Alex F Empty Pockets

I use my Surefire Outdoorsman ALL THE TIME now that I have it... you don't realize how many times a flashlight is handy/useful till you start carrying one.

14. n0k1a

n0k1a Empty Pockets

There have been some great responses to this thread. I run across people all the time who don't 'get it', and seriously ask me why I carry a flashlight all the time. Ironically (or predictably?), they often end up being the ones who wish to borrow my light...and then promptly forget why a light was useful again. ;)

I may go a bit overboard, as I have 3 lights on me right now, and several more in my Maxpedition gear bag which goes almost everywhere with me (as well as by the bed, in the vehicle, and so on). Not only do I like to be prepared, but I also like redundancy and backups. The 'two is one, one is none' rule is a good one to follow.

I've always had the mindset to try to be at least somewhat prepared for unexpected circumstances. I simply cannot relate to the mentality of those who really expect the infrastructure around them to keep working, especially when example after example of the failure of said infrastructure keep occurring.

I've had lights with me during many power failures. I've had them when I had unexpected vehicle problems in dark areas at night. I had them with me when a friend dropped her lip ring in a parking lot while getting out of her car, and helped her find it. I use them virtually every day at work to some extent or another. I've used them extensively for night hiking and geocaching, and even in the daytime it is amazing how often a bright flashlight is very useful for locating hidden objects. There is simply no way that I would ever consider being caught without a flashlight. It's one of the most useful inventions in human history, and with modern LED technology, it's more practical than ever.

15. jproctor

jproctor Loaded Pockets

This paragraph says all that needs to be said!!

2 days ago while working I was at a local YMCA. Well little did I know there were power failures happening on that side of town. I don't "need" to carry a light in my line of work but I carry 2 small ones everyday plus a couple more powerful lights in my pack. If I hadn't had my light a few fellas in the locker room would have probably put their clothes on backwards since the emergency lights were not working in that room. I beamed my light in their and it supplied sufficent light for the gentlemen to get dressed properly. Glad I carry them.