1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The point of an EDC flashlight?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Gezab, Oct 23, 2010.

1. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

I carry a flashlight every day. It comes in very handy. I have been in many places where the power goes out; like the mall or the supermarket. Ever been in the back of the supermarket when the power goes out, even in the day time? The back of the store is pitch black. Try carrying one, you will be amazed at how often you use it. I ALWAYS have flashlight on me.

2. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

I worked in a supermarket for 21 years and you are right when the power goes out it can be pitch black in the back of the store, especially one built with a standby generator only support some minor lighting in the front and the cash registers. Anytime there was a hint of thunder the lights went out, that's one of the reasons I started carrying a flashlight. Always was funny to hear customers scream when the lights went out though, you would think it was something major. Sorry but after it happening so often it got to be funny because I would just whip out my miniMaglite and act like nothing happened.

3. aldo_vic_t

aldo_vic_t Loaded Pockets

My son was looking for a piece of his toy that rolled underneath/behind the TV stand. He knew i always got my flashlight on me or near me. It was one in the afternoon, because of the sun, the area where he was looking for his toy part was in the shadows. He retrieved the part and the day was saved. Yeah, it might be daytime now, but it doesn't mean you won't need a flashlight sometime. I forgot who posted which goes something like there isn't a 100% chance that you might use/need a flashlight right now during daytime, but come nightfall, there will be 100% chance of darkness.

4. Russ Prechtl

Russ Prechtl EDC Junkie!!!!!

I EDC a light because I work in a lot of dark places and must navigate through them, and then it's dark when I leave to go home as well. It's handier than a "pocket on a shirt" for me......

5. Ghillieman7

Ghillieman7 Empty Pockets

Personally, I carry 2 lights. One on my belt and one in my bag. I do find that I need at least one of them daily either at work or at home.

6. mzil

mzil Loaded Pockets

Al Sleet, the "hippie-dippie weatherman"—"Tonight's forecast: Dark. Continued dark throughout most of the evening, with some widely scattered light towards morning."
    -George Carlin

7. WillCAD

WillCAD Loaded Pockets

I had a thought the other day while reading this thread.

People who ask, "Why do you carry a flashlight?" remind me a bit of the girl from Clueless, who said:

"Why do you need to know how to parallel park? Everywhere you go has valet!"

8. kevinw

kevinw Empty Pockets

The point about how dark modern buildings can be is very valid and timely in todays society. I remember reading in an article post 9/11 about how invaluable surefire flashlights were for the secret service in leading people out of the towers.

9. scanchattanooga

scanchattanooga Loaded Pockets

I might not use mine daily, but I'm a radio technician and never know when I'll be working on a fire truck, in a radio equipment shelter behind a rack out of the light, or in other similar dimly-lit places. It's a lifesaver when you need it and adds minimal weight to my belt.

Co-workers are always asking to borrow it so I must be on to something...

10. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

I needed my light to put together a scooter for my son today. I've actually needed it several times in dealing with putting together Christmas gifts where more light was needed to see into some crevice or hole better. I don't remember if I mentioned it earlier, but I generally find that I use my EDC lights more during the day than at night.

11. Xerxes

Xerxes Loaded Pockets

I've just bought a small NexTorch (mainly because I saw it at half price), my first decent LED light, and started carrying it around the house.

Within a day I found I was using it so often for looking into dark corners, that I've given it a permanent place in my pocket while I'm at home. I do have a set of rechargeable lamps ready for use (for when I have to go outside in the dark for getting logs for the fire, etc) but having a compact light always to hand is so useful, I wonder I didn't start a long time ago.

12. Chicken714

Chicken714 Empty Pockets

Wow, crazy, but totally believable knowing the people here, how many responses to this thread.

I used my flashlight at least a couple times a day before. Now living in WA where it gets dark at like 430, I use it a LOT! As many others have said (didn't read every post) I used to get asked about it, but in FL where the power goes out all the time, I easily had everyone in my shop carrying one by the time I left. Also, in the military you end up working at night a lot.

Good luck OP.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the original reason I started carrying it. Concealed carry. You wouldn't want to have to explain in court that you couldn't positively identify your target would you? I just got so used to having it, and using it, I didn't remember thats why I had it in the first place.

13. Skipperbrown

Skipperbrown Loaded Pockets

I took my wife to the ER for treatment on Christmas night and the hospital was on emergency (generator) power. She had to give a urine sample and the bathroom lighting was not on the emergency power circuit so it was pitch black in there. The RN said she would try to find a flashlight. I told her I had one and pulled out my trusty Fenix PD30 and lead the way. The whole ER staff was like, "Who is the boy scout?" Yet another reason why I edc a flashlight. You never know when you may need it.

14. aldo_vic_t

aldo_vic_t Loaded Pockets

It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. LOL

15. Buster Bodine

Buster Bodine Loaded Pockets

1. It gets dark every night. This time of year, it's dark for far longer than it's daylight. Ever change a tire in near total darkness?

2. Ever drop a small part on the floor and couldn't find it? Turn off the lights and turn on a flashlight. Search by "spotlight" and you'll be amazed how quick your missling little whazzit appears.

3. Ever go to a movie and when the credits roll, think "Oh crap, did I drop something expensive?" Because well, you know, the people on these forums often have very expensive crap in their pockets. A quick check with a flashlight lets you know you're not leaving anything behind except the three half-melted Jujubes that were sticking to your shoes all through the movie.

4. Ever heard of a yawara? How about one you can carry anywhere?

5. Big office buildings, lousy emergency lighting, few windows, and just every so often, rarely, but it still happens from time to time, the power goes out.

6. Got a CCW? When you have that one bad moment in that fabled dark alley, would you like to guess where the badguy is when you pull the trigger, or would you like to know?

That's all I've got at the moment. It's enough for me. ;)

16. WARFIST

WARFIST Banned

The question in the title answer's itself! Haha

17. MM2000

MM2000 Empty Pockets

Flashlights exist, they are small enough to fit in my pocket (at least some are), and I have pockets. That just about covers it.

18. niagaratac

niagaratac Loaded Pockets

Wow 137 threads reply to one troll?

Oops 138,,

19. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

As trolls go, it was pretty goofy.

Something like, "Surefire sucks!" or "Maxpud's garbage!" might be more inflammatory.

The sad part is, I can really see a lot of people asking that question in all seriousness.

-Trevor

20. summer

summer Loaded Pockets

The point of an EDC is to have something essential that you might not necessarily need every single day, but might prove vital or even lifesaving the moment you do need it. One of these is a lightsource. Doesn't matter whether you live in a light-filled city or your next neighbor is 5 miles away.

I used to carry only a humble fauxton on my keychain to help me find things in my handbag or to help open my front door when it got dark. Didn't think much of it until our normally very safe and secure neighborhood experienced massive flooding for the first time in history. Water rose up fast within minutes and we never had the chance to grab and save what we should've. Other flashlights and rechargeable lanterns got submerged in fast rising and flowing waters. We only managed to grab a couple of candles while we scrambled up to higher ground. Keychain with fauxton stayed in my jeans pocket, forgotten, while I negotiated waist- to neck high waters during the next few hours. It turned out that when night fell, the drenched but still-functioning fauxton was the only lightsource that can direct some light 6 feet down in pitch black darkness, and it helped us determine whether it would be necessary to climb onto the 3rd floor rooftop if the water continued to rise any further.

Learned to never underestimate the value of an edc light. :)