1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The point of an EDC flashlight?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Gezab, Oct 23, 2010.

1. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

I drive about an hour commute to and from work, much of it through rural farmland without a single light for miles. Now that winter is approaching it's often dark not only when I go to work, but dark driving home too, so I like knowing I have a long lasting, powerful flashlight in my pocket, just in case something would happen and I'd have to do some walking in the dark. Without a light it would be pitch black. Just one of the many reasons an EDC flashlight can come in handy.

2. stevem174

stevem174 Loaded Pockets

Last night about 22:30 I was sitting on the sofa when the electricity goes out. One second the lights and TV were on, the next second we could not see. I was able to reach down to my belt, grab my light so we could light some candles. Did I NEED my edc light? No, but it sure made things easier for us.

3. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

Okay, here we go. First, if everything in your life always goes as planned, you probably won't have much use for one. If you are never caught in a power failure at night or in a building with no windows, you may not need one.

Bending sunlight with mirrors to look under the hood is all well and good. Do you carry a mirror? If you need to get the light down some tortuous channel, how many mirrors do you carry and how many hands to you have to keep them all perfectly positioned while using your last 2 hands to work on what you are visualizing?

If you are never out in the great outdoors unexpectedly at night, cool. If you never get lost because you ALWAYS have your pocket GPS with you. cool. If you have never happened upon a lost person at night on a search, and needed the beacon function (which many of the better lights have now) to make yourself visible to other rescuers, great.

If you have never needed the strobe function to temporarily blind an assailant, super!

As was mentioned, but not detailed, if you drop something tiny onto the floor (any type of floor) and need to find it, if you place the light at floor level and aim it parallel to the ground, it will cast a shadow behind the dropped object making it much easier to find.

If you ever eat out at a restaurant where you don't pay the cashier directly and can't get a Happy Meal, you may want to be able to read the menu in the dimly lit dining area.

If you ever happen upon some one with an altered level of consciousness or a head injury, you may want to check their pupillary response.

Now for David Letterman's number one reason for carrying a flashlight; I will let you in on a secret which no one else has mentioned and the real reason for always having a flashlight with you:

drumroll please,

..................................................the secret vibrate function!

4. nbmaine2007

nbmaine2007 Loaded Pockets

where the heck are you eating? back alleys? I've been to a lot of very nice restaurants, and never have needed a flashlight to read the menu.

5. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

I guess you never take your woman anywhere romantic. :sigh:

6. nbmaine2007

Trust me, I've been to plenty of "romantic" restaurants...and never have I needed to pull out a flashlight to see a menu.

Some people just like to go out of their way to use tools for the sake of using them...

7. Rochefort

Rochefort Loaded Pockets

This time of year here, in Finland, the sun rises around 9 am and goes down after 3 pm. And I live in the south, where we the sun stays up longer than in the north.
    I have plenty of use for my flashlights. :)

8. drowsy

drowsy Empty Pockets

I got a maratac AAA a few weeks back, and since then I've: used it to install a Thule on a car in the dark, used it to find stuff _in_ the Thule in the dark, used it to examine a horse in a dark stall, read some print on duct tape to find the proper box in an attic. The light is so small I'm almost afraid of swallowing it if I use my jaws as a holder.

9. WillCAD

WillCAD Loaded Pockets

Some people's low-light vision is not as good as yours, either. I've been to a few restaurants where the dimness and small print on the menu made it a difficult read, and I've handed out fauxtons to lots of friends and family who use them in restaurants.

10. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

I understand your take on it, completely. Twenty years ago when I was your age, I didn't need them either.

I guess you must know this from personal experience.

11. nbmaine2007

Yep...personal experiences like this one we're having right here.

12. JamisonM

JamisonM Empty Pockets

A couple of days ago, I was over at my Grandmothers installing a sink sprayer. She offered me the use of one of her flashlights, but I declined. Both were 2D incandescent lights. I just used my old L2D-CE. This is just one of the reasons why I carry a flashlight.

13. remy b

remy b Loaded Pockets

It gets dark every evening (in France at least...)! ;)
    Some areas where I work are poorly lit or just quite dark.
    Walking the dog at night or early in the morning.

I once signaled a car that had crashed on a dark country road, using the strobe (flashing towards the crashed car, not towards other drivers!!!).

14. FerFAL

FerFAL Loaded Pockets

Yes, that's a lie. Don't know what your point is, but I'm sure your time would be better spent elsewhere.

Edited to add: Even my 8yr old uses one of my lights every now and then when looking for a toy under furniture. A grown man that never had to reach for a light during an unexpected situation? That’s ridiculous. Couple days ago during a blackout, half the guys in the room had a light in their hands a second later, they where EDC carrying them. (shooting instructors) That same night as we were leaving shots where fired in the dark field. Again, the lights were used to illuminate in that direction. For electrical repairs at home? Fixing a leak under the sink? Use it all the time, searching in dark places for dropped objects, connecting something to the CPU where you can’t see.

FerFAL

15. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

Can't help but to agree with this...if you've got at least one arm with a hand and a few fingers attached, and you haven't ever had need of a flashlight, I'd say you either have a personal servant who stands beside you 24/7 with their own light, or you are a lonely person who doesn't get off the couch much...or a kid who doesn't have enough life experience to know better...or someone who has just chosen to do without...but I can't imagine the average person has never experienced times when a light would have been helpful.

16. Lord Bear

Lord Bear Loaded Pockets

I actually first EDC'd a handcarried flashlight (!still do!), the Surefire incandescent E2e. Then when the LED crossed my radar, I was floored by the tiny Photon concept as well as the headlamp concept. Back then I only had very bluish/purplish low lumen models, but they worked great! Unfortunately my eyesight dimmed and while the Photon kept pace, those old headlamps didn't. Haven't tried a Zebra but the Surefire Saint got me EDC'ing a headlamp again.
    EDC is a vocation. It chooses you.
    And it's true, "good light often makes life easier." (Quote)

17. tonester

tonester Loaded Pockets

went to the theatre to see TRON. after the movie was over i used my SS Maratac AA to look at the floor and under our seats to make sure we didnt drop anything. some guy sitting behind me with his wife or girlfriend politely asked if he could use my light because his wife had dropped her glasses. he said he liked the light and had to get one for himself. maybe he'll start carrying one now.

18. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

:) I was never one to play with the things I use myself. I only use them when they make life easier or there seems to be a need. The exception is when getting familair with an item.

I don't mind people that do go out of their way but I don't. :)

19. WillCAD

WillCAD Loaded Pockets

I saw Tron on Friday night. After I walked out of the theater, I realized that my gloves were missing, so I returned to my seat and used the fauxton I have attached to my coat as a zipper pull to illuminate the seat area, and found my gloves immediately.

Simple, everyday stuff like that is the point of my EDC lights.

20. Mad_Maxx

Mad_Maxx Loaded Pockets

I can't see in the dark ar at least no t much
    many times I had a flashlight I used it, at night but often during the day too

always had a light since I was 10 or so, cheap button light, led lenser and a fenix LD10 now

darkness can happen, dropped things, the need to look in a dark spot and so on
    carry one and you'll see a light is essencial

I have a boat I go out with at night pretty often with friends, coming back at night we have to close up everything, without a light it's nearly impossible
    my 2 cents
    max