1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The point of an EDC flashlight?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Gezab, Oct 23, 2010.

1. bltkmt

bltkmt Loaded Pockets

Try being in a large scale blackout, like the one on the East Coast in 2003. And stuck in a high-rise at night with no power. And needing to use the bathroom. You will then see why I have over 30 lights now, and always a few on my person.

2. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

Bwahahaha. This is what convinced me.

The outfit I work for loses power fairly often. Once, I happened to be in a stall in the washroom, taking care of business so to speak, when the power went out. Of course, there are no windows in the washroom (no emergency lights, either, I soon noticed), so when the lights go out, it gets pretty darn dark. Luckily, at that time I happened to have a mini-Maglite in my pants pocket, so I dug it out and unscrewed the head and set it on top of the t.p. dispenser in so-called "candle" mode. Later, on my way out, I set it on the shelf over the sinks so that others could at least "navigate".

This happened again some time later. Since then, I always have a light of some sort on me.

3. Cptnodegard

Cptnodegard Empty Pockets

The same reason I carry a Leatherman: because I don't know what I need it for, I just know I'm going to need it sooner or later.
    Just yesterday I was out geocaching in full daylight. Brought a light like always, came to a cache that was under some large trees. Between the shadows from the trees and the low sun messing up the contrast I had to use the light to be able to look under branches etc.
    Also these days it gets dark quickly. If I'm out longer than I thought and don't have any reflectors on my I turn on the Streamlight Nano that's always around my neck and it acts as a beacon for being seen in traffic

4. ANJARI

ANJARI Loaded Pockets

I carry a light with me every day after I got into a situation where a light did miss: to lose the car keys in a cinema. To this day I always carry with me two lights. The need for a light appears at any time and I am prepared to use them. There's nothing worse than you get without a light in a difficult situation, and remember that you have in your house a collection of lights and batteries, all ready to use ...

5. Mister Scribble

Mister Scribble Loaded Pockets

When I was a college student or high school student, I went with friends up to Bear Mountain, NY and we looked at the sky. I know it is remarkable away from all the light pollution. I read a lot of science fiction when I was a kid, and so staring into the sky and getting that feeling of awe and wonder really moves me. But all is not lost in the city; we've had a full moon the past few nights and it looks pretty impressive hanging there. Sometimes at dusk it looks huge.

Maybe one day I'll visit the Midwest. I'm not crazy about flying but I do like to drive. Too bad I can't drive across the ocean and visit Europe. Or China. Or Japan. Or Switzerland. I could be very comfortable living in a small European village, maybe in semi-rural France.

Don't know if you saw that TV show a few years ago, called Barging Across Europe. They showed people living along the French canals and making a life there, with crafts or servicing the boats that passed by, or just living on a boat. Very idyllic.

I wonder if there's any place left to hide anymore....

...back to topic...the last time the power went out here I was driving home from Westchester County. All of a sudden none of the traffic lights would work. Stopped into a health food store and they had no power. Drove home on the highway and glad I was able to get home. I was not EDCing a flashlight back then. Wouldn't have helped along the highway. Driving totally dark highways even here is not something I like to do. Your headlights only go so far, even high beams. I tried to stay with other cars in a pack or not too far away so they lit up the road farther ahead for me. It's a somewhat scary experience. I guess out in OK you drive on dark dirt roads all the time. We're not used to driving dark highways here.

Streamlight Nano: nice light but I wish those coin cells would last longer.

If you drive an automobile it always pays to have a light with you. Even in daylight you can't always see everything under the hood, or to check the tires or under the car.

Here in the big city there's so much light that people forget the need for a flashlight, although the stores all carry them.

For a while I lived up in Valhalla, NY, a suburb. My apartment got so dark at night I could hardly see my hand in front of my face. And it was QUIET. I really miss it. It was quiet and peaceful.

If a ceiling light in the hallway goes out in my apartment building, it really looks scary and spooky.

I wonder how people would cope with an extended blackout...like from an EMP pulse or sunspot blast.

I think I'll take another look at that footpedal generator I saw a few years ago....

How long could you survive without electricity where you are?

Good topic for a separate thread. Time to Prepare.

I wonder if Emergency Prep items would sell well at the EDCF store? I know you have some things but maybe a complete kit of some kind. Wonder which items are most profitable.

6. Uncle Zungle

Uncle Zungle Loaded Pockets

Easy. Because it makes daily life that much better. Otherwise all these people filling up these light based posts and forums wouldn't be doing it.

OP I get your question and it's a good one. It's just that you, and everybody else, who doesn't EDC a light and who has not discovered the incredible usefulness of handheld, direction and intensity controlled light, on demand are basically victims of our great human capacity for adaptability. We all get on every day with whatever light is available. We're so :censored: good in that respect that we could go our whole lives without ever questioning the need, like you just did, for a little extra illumination throught a given day. You're in the majority but you've taken that first step. Take one more and you're there.

Try, as several have posted above, carrying and using a light for a week or two. You will be suprised.

7. leobloom

leobloom Loaded Pockets

I run a digital printing press and it gets real dark in there and my mini cr2 helps light the way!

8. mzil

mzil Loaded Pockets

I think the simple answer to the OP's question is best answered by some other questions:

A) Have you ever had occassion to use a flashlight?
    B) If so, can you see how not having to travel to your home, specific room, and specific drawer to retreive it might be handy? Especially when it may be hard to do so because it's dark?

Sorry if that sounded snarky. I didn't mean it to.

9. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I live in Arkansas and thought that was weird story - most of our roads are not lit. The only time you worry about power outages is in the towns where there are traffic signals to go out.

I once drove to a remote campsite at night through a maze of forestry roads with no signs and just a road atlas and a compass. Now that is unnerving. It was really eerie - we didn't see another vehicle the whole time (about 60 minutes). That was before cell phones with GPS and I had no idea if I really was where I thought I was on the map. Turns out... I was. ;D

10. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

The truth is, it's hard to understand why anyone would carry a flashlight until you actually do. Then you start to see how handy they are, and then, well, that's how the addiction gets really started.

11. Grizzlybear

Grizzlybear Loaded Pockets

Gezab your not the only person to question why a flashlight is needed. I do get annoyed at those that question my carrying a flashlight are always the first to request to use it on a regular basis as they still don't see the need for it.

There are many quality 1AA or 1CR123 or in the case of the a few take both with enough options in light output and weigh next to nothing. I happen to like the Olights, others prefer the Fenix, Surefire, Jetbeam, Quark, whatever. For a Christmas present for each of my kids (15-22) I'll probably get them the new Jetbeam RRT0. Small enough to EDC yet multiple options for lumens use and choice of battery.

j2ledflashlight.com/jetbeam-rrt0.html

12. CDavisJK

CDavisJK Loaded Pockets

I left my flashlight at home today. I don't need it, but I wish I had it. =/

13. qharjo

qharjo Empty Pockets

I usually carry two of them on me. One is a tiny cheap-o coin cell light on my keychain whose main duty is helping get the keys in the keyhole when the porch light isn't on. Happens fairly often when we're gone for a few days, or when we stay out longer than we figured we would. Also gets used occasionally in a pinch when I need a light and the keychain is the only thing I have.

The other is an iTp EOS A2 multi-mode single AA light. It fits into the back of my cell phone holster, and gets used quite a bit more than the coin cell, since I can use rechargeable batteries in it. I used it today to check some recent plumbing I did on the sink, to lock my bike up in my shed after dusk, to check the floor for glass shards after we broke a shaker of spices, and to check under our couch for my son's Matchbox cars. A light is just plain handy to have around, and tiny ones like the EOS line practically disappear on your person. It's great to have one in your bag, car, whatever, but having a light easily at hand makes life just plain more simple.

14. RogueEDC

RogueEDC Loaded Pockets

A friend was adding oil to his car at 3am. I had the light.

15. shadyscott999

shadyscott999 Loaded Pockets

This ^ I use my light everyday. I also carry a gun that I never use. Why wouldn't I carry a light? ;^)

16. bobbyc

bobbyc Loaded Pockets

My #1 reason: searching for bedbugs when I arrive in a hotel room. My #2 reason: everything else.

17. Senni

Senni Empty Pockets

Light? The ability to generate it at will is such an amazingly useful thing. That being said, carrying anything bigger than a Photon Freedom is probably overkill for a lot of people.

18. tonester

tonester Loaded Pockets

+1

i think the ability to carry a source of light and a source of fire is awesome. i dont smoke, but i always have a zippo on me. could you imagine how our ancestors from centuries ago would have loved to have a tool that could produce light and a tool that could produce fire the size of your palm? im sure it would have made their everyday lives easier.

19. WillCAD

WillCAD Loaded Pockets

I started EDCing a flashlight about 10 years ago. I had lived most of my life without EDCing a light, but when I started doing it, I found myself using it every day, too. Now, I carry a 2xAA Coleman Max 144 lumen LED flashlight in my pocket, a faxton LED squeeze light on my watch fob, and one or two fauxtons as zipper pulls on my coats and jackets, or in the pocket of the sweats I wear around the house.

Today, I have used my EDC lights twice so far:

This morning, I was sitting on my sofa, rolling a tennis ball around with my foot (a massage-like exercise prescribed by my doctor for foot pain). The tennis ball slipped and rolled under the sofa. I had the room lights on, and the sofa is just to the left of a southern-facing bay window with the morning sun streaming in almost directly toward the sofa - and I STILL couldn't see under the sofa well enough to see the lime-green high-visibility tennis ball! So I used one of the fauxtons I EDC to illuminate under the couch, and found the tennis ball.

I scuffed the plastic inside my truck recently, removing a piece of lumber. I wanted to show the damage to a friend, but it was night. We were on a brightly lit city street in east Baltimore, with a street light about 50 feet behind the truck. We could see the scuff, but not very well. So I pulled out the Coleman Max and illuminated the back of the truck with it. Problem solved.

Every night when I go to bed, I check the lock on my apartment door, turn off the living room light (the switch is next to the front door), and head for the bedroom. But at that point, it's dark, and my eyes haven't adjusted. I don't feel that it's all that important to stand there for 2-3 minutes for my eyes to adjust sufficiently to navigate the darkened apartment, so instead, I take out my fauxton and illuminate my path to the bedroom. I'll be doing that tonight in about 20 minutes, making for three uses of my EDF lights today alone.

Tomorrow, I might use my EDC lights once, or four times. I don't know, but I know that I'll use them at least once every single day.

20. Tradecraft

Tradecraft Banned

From page 318 of the 9/11 Commission Report Final Version:

Preparedness of Individual Civilians.

One clear lesson of September 11 is that individual civilians need to take responsibility for maximizing the probability that they will survive, should disaster strike. Clearly, many building occupants in the World Trade Center did not take preparedness seriously. Individuals should know the exact location of every stairwell in their workplace. In addition, they should have access at all times to flashlights, which were deemed invaluable by some civilians who managed to evacuate the WTC on September 11.

I believe that statement says it all.