1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The point of an EDC flashlight?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Gezab, Oct 23, 2010.

1. mauiblue

mauiblue Loaded Pockets

I remember years ago I worked in an office that was void of windows. The power went out and the emergency lights came on but it was still really dark. Out came my Mini Maglite and I was the hero of the day. Another time, someone dropped a small object and it rolled under a large cabinet. I pulled out my pocket torch and found the item easily. At my part time job (security guard - evening shift) I normally have two flashlights (one for backup).

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

2. nbmaine2007

nbmaine2007 Loaded Pockets

But the main difference being electricity. It's not 1700 where you need fire to see at night. I live in the sticks, but there is light just about everywhere, street lights, house lights, cars. That, and many days I'm not out past dark, although it is getting to the time of year where that wont be the case.

So I'm not saying you shouldn't carry, but I think comparing it to an umbrella/coat is a bit of a stretch.

3. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Yes, but which of those light sources can you point under your hood, under your car, in a shadowed area, etc...

The point of a flashlight is not just to provide light, but provide light where you need it.

I've been out hunting at night and walked for miles just by moonlight. However, when I am crossing a creek or climbing a bank, I would turn on the flashlight to be sure of my footing and check for any hidden dangers. Just because there is light does not mean you won't need more light for some tasks.

4. nbmaine2007

Well, I have one in my truck if I needed to look under my hood. Like I said, my question just becomes if it's necessary to do 24/7. For me, it's not. If it is for you, knock yourself out.

Obviously if I'm out hunting or doing something at night, that's a different story, like I said earlier. But today, I'd have zero need to leave my house with a flashlight. I'm going to be home before dark, I'm in a well lit office with windows everywhere, I have one in my bag that's right next to me. When I go out to lunch (in the middle of the day) I don't see the need to take it with me.

Again, I'm not debating if you should or shouldn't...I said comparing it to umbrella/raincoat was quite a stretch.

5. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

The question isn't so much whether or not there will be darkness, but rather if you'll be unexpectedly caught in a situation requiring light.

Granted, 100% chance of darkness increases those odds, but then again not everyone carries an umbrella, even with predictions of thundershowers.

I picked up the habit of EDCing a flashlight in the Army when I really didn't know if and when I might have to be working after dark or go poking in, under or around dirty places in darkness.

-Trevor

-Trevor

6. somber

somber Banned

You're kidding, right? Ever try looking at something on the ground at night? Don't you cast a shadow down if you're over an object and the light source is above you? How does this help you see when you're blocking out the light? I've even used my flashlight during the day looking into irrigation boxes in this last week, something that seems counter-intuitive, but there was no other way to find the screw to activate the irrigation station.

Hey, if it works for you, different strokes for different folks, but having a flashlight is an essential tool to me. I'm not saying that you MUST carry one, but you can also just run tree to tree when it's raining, too. Or only stay under awnings, or...

I can only imagine the hell it would be depending on passing cars or orange streetlights to find the issue in an engine bay with an open hood over you.

7. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

That is counter-intuitive. You are using a flashlight when the brightest, best-color-balanced light source on earth is right above you. Get a small hand mirror and use it to bend sunlight down onto what you are looking at. Trust me, you will see much better with sunlight during the daytime. I have used the mirror trick to look into deep manholes (over 20 feet) and bore shafts.

I'm certainly not discounting the usefulness of a flashlight - I carry one all the time. It's just that in your case I think you will find the mirror a better tool for the task at hand.

8. somber

somber Banned

Thanks for the tip, but we're going house to house in different irrigation boxes that are 1'-2' deep, that are under bushes and behind giant arbividas (spelling) the sun is even blocked out except through the branches, it's really not the type of situation where this would be useful.

We're doing 500 houses, I'm sure this tip would work for one of them, but...
    Thanks.

9. nbmaine2007

You misread my post, I guess. Shine your light on the screen, maybe it will help. :)

10. jwhite75

jwhite75 Loaded Pockets

I am a probtion officer. I search offenders houses on a regular basis. the dirtholes some of these people live in have no light and stuff I dont want to touch until I can see it. I use a Streamlight Microstream, which is no more obtrusive than an ink pen to carry. Slips in my suit pocket like a dream. Off duty I carry a Surefire E1L and my wife carries an E2 incand. in her purse. A flashlight is one tool you dont realize how much you need until you start carrying one.

11. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Do you want to touch it after you've seen it? :green:

I have been glad to have a flashlight on me on several occasions at work. I frequently have to look under houses, in storm drains, and at building structures, sometimes without prior warning.

12. somber

somber Banned

13. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Street lights, house lights, and cars in the sticks? It might be regional differences in the term.

I know people that would not call this the sticks. The reason is there is a paved road about 7-8 miles away.

[​IMG]

This road will eventually take you to a driveway that is even less well prepared but that is still some miles to go. The person who lived out here recently lost their property. They had been dreaming of eventually being able to move to the sticks.

14. Mister Scribble

Mister Scribble Loaded Pockets

Be glad you're away from the Big City.

The noise and lifestyle here drives me nuts.

And I'm a slave to finding a parking spot.

On the other hand, there's a health food store a 15 minute walk away, or 1/2 hour to Westchester County by car. Where there are trees.

15. zshiner

zshiner Loaded Pockets

I saw this thread and didn't respond the first time I read through it. I EDC a Fenix LD01. It hangs out on my keychain.

Today - Power went out at work. Office has windows - interior bathrooms do not. An EDC'ed torch is very handy.

16. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Well I am not longer rural. I do live in a town now and I don't know how people do it. I am in what can be consiered a dying town as it's population is dropping.

I do feel very crowded here. This town is the big population center for this area. Jobs are very very scarce here at the moment and you can't commute to someplace else very easily.

[​IMG]

17. uncleben03

uncleben03 Loaded Pockets

You obviously don't work night shift... I "EDC" a 760 lumen flashlight on my duty belt every night! Heck, even when I'm up during the day I EDC a flashlight. Never know when you'll be walking around walmart and the power goes out or something.

18. Mister Scribble

Mister Scribble Loaded Pockets

Well, at least you no longer have to walk five miles or whatever for groceries! Although out in the country maybe you could grow some of your own food.

Some small towns and 'burbs are nice because you know your neighbors and everyone helps everyone else. Ideally.

We have some of that here. My neighbor took me to buy a used car a few months ago. That was a real good deed, because my old one had become unsafe and I couldn't easily get out to the used car guy in Jersey otherwise. Man, it's good to have a set of wheels again.

New York is actually a huge collection of local neighborhoods, or in some cases, blocks (street blocks). Every one has a different flavor.

There are actually private homes near where I live, and some trees and quiet streets. More or less quiet. I hate concrete jungles

19. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Have you ever been able to go where there is quality dark and you can see millions of stars and the center of the galaxy pops out at you? If you haven't someday you should visit fly over country and go far enough way from a town where you can look in all directions and not see the glow of a sinlge artificial light any place at all.

After your eyes adjust you might be amazed how how clearly you can see by star light but the shodows there the star light cannot reach can be very very dark.

20. Ghost

Ghost Loaded Pockets

The reason I always carry a flashlight of some kind (apart from daily use in my work environment as a sparky) is that when you need one, you usually really bloody need it...

cheers
    Troy