1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The point of an EDC flashlight?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Gezab, Oct 23, 2010.

1. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

It's not a true EDC light unless you carry it 100% of the time. For me anything bigger than a 1xAAA light is too big to have in my pockets. Luckily flashlight technology has progressed far enough that my cheap 1xAAA flashlight is comparable to the 2x123 flashlights of yesteryear.

2. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

Ever drop something in a movie theater?

3. mwrob

mwrob Empty Pockets

I started carrying a flashlight about a year ago and use it more than I use my knife. Part of it may be that my eyes aren't as good as they used to be, but people I'm with have been helped by it as well. Although not limited to outdoor use, I think if you spend much time outdoors you'll use it even more. Some things I've used it for that come to mind:
    -looking for the light switch in an unfamiliar bathroom
    -reading a menu in a dim restaurant
    -going into a small cave that I discovered while on a hike in bright sunlight
    -going out in the backyard at night
    -walking on a narrow shoulder at night to let the cars know you are there
    -looking inside a machine at work
    -looking in our cat's ear when he was scratching it excessively
    -looking for stuff behind couches, under desks, etc.

Those are a few I could think of.

4. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

The only time I sport a x2 light (AA, cr123) is if I have a backpack with me - even just a daybag. Otherwise a SF E1L in a belt pouch and an Arc on my key ring.

-Trevor

5. mzil

mzil Loaded Pockets

... "with scattered light towards morning."

-George Carlin

6. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

It is not confrontational at all and a valid question.

I think the reason for having one is going to vary from person to person.

I have spent more than half my life miles and miles from the nearest street light. Out in the boonies if I give time for my eyes to adjust I can see well enough in most cases but there will be dark shadows here and there where I can't see. When I lived in rural Indiana and would come home the headlights of my car would leave me not light adapted and I would not be able to see when I shut them off since there was no artifical light. A flashlight came in handy there.

Growing up I would often be working or out where I was not only miles from the nearest streetlight I was miles from the nearest road. It got kind of dark. Again for most things my eyes would adapt but there are still things hard to see well. For daily used I sometimes thing a light is handier in an urban area for one reason. If you are out quite a bit at night you eyes will be adapted for ambient light leven but the when you need to see someplace where the ambient light is less bright things are very dark for a few minutes.

My hobbies that I used to be able to pursue also required the use of lights and my carry light in daily life was often one of the lights I used in my hobbies.

There are other reasons to have a light as well. Those wanting one to aid in self defense, it is a different reason that for utility but valid. There is the case of power failure in a building. There are reasons to have one for a sundry of emergencies. Those involved in emergency services can use one to check dialation of the eyes.

Sometimes they make life easier.

If you have never had a use for one then you probably would not need one for daily utility use, you might carry one for that emergency that could happen however.

7. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

• Taking the dog out after sundown.
    • Finding something in the passenger compartment or trunk or even under the seat of the car. (dome and trunk lights are only so useful)
    • screwing or unscrewing anything that is out of direct lighting.
    • finding things that have fallen underneath desks, shelves, the couch, whereever....
    • +1 things dropped in move theathers/music venues
    • responding in the affirmative to "Does anybody have a flashlight?" Happens a lot with co-workers.
    • Subway blackouts (yes, it's happened a couple of times and people tend to freak fairly easily.... dark as a tomb
      definitely applies).
    • Plugging in electrical or computer cables in places where the office lights don't reach.
    • +1 to reading menus with hard to read fonts in dim lighting.
    • things dropped in the driveway or on the lawn.
    • reading house/building addresses at night.

1 light on the belt and 2 in the bag. :eek:/

There are small enough lights where you wouldn't notice the additional carry weight, and that's the point where the threshold for "justification" is greatly offset by the grief you can avoid when you really need light.

ATB,
    Sam

8. MikeySnyder

MikeySnyder Loaded Pockets

+1 on this!

I never realized how much i use one, until i started carrying one. I bought one, now i own 4, and am in the market for my 5th. They become like a pocket knife to you, and you find your self picking up all sorts of different ones for different tasks and applications.

9. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

Oh, I don't know. I use a flashlight at work maybe once or twice a week and even that use is brief (to find the keyhole of the staircase door after turning off the lights at the end of a night shift), but I use one at home several times a day. Mostly a headlamp (ZebraLight), because when I need a light, I'm usually doing something and will need my hands free. While I could often get by without, I find it's usually advantageous to have sufficient light to see well with.

To the OP: if you don't need one, you don't have to carry a light. But for most of us, good light often makes life easier.

10. HFTB

HFTB Empty Pockets

I carry a light because I ride through the trails at night. Just incase my headlight goes out on my bicycle. Or I gotta change a tube, or something. And I use it a lot to look through my bookbag plus little edc purposes

11. heathah

heathah Loaded Pockets

I bought a few cheap LED lights to give out at Christmas a few years ago and just the other day my mom tells me that she's had her's in her purse ever since. :) She also mentioned that she never even thought about carrying a flashlight around in her purse but now that she has it, she can't imagine not having one with her all the time.

So, I propose that anyone who is unsure about carrying a light, do so for a week or two and after this, determine if your use warrants you to continue to carry it. Most likely you will find that it will.

Heath

12. nbmaine2007

nbmaine2007 Loaded Pockets

I agreed with the OP until recently...And maybe I still do to a degree, because I don't EDC one on my body. I have one in my bag, and if I know I'm going out and it will be dark, I'll transfer it into my pocket.

I ran into a couple situations this year where I'd wished I'd had one, which is the main reason I changed my tune. I toured an old fort, which had several dark sections that would have been much neater with a light. Then I went to an outdoor concert which ended after dark. In both situations (like most, I would guess) I survived without the light just fine. I don't see it being as critical as a knife.

But it's like most EDC items, carry what you want. I carry a lot of the stuff I do because it's fun, and maybe I'll really need it. Some of the examples people gave below made me chuckle, but if it works for them, so be it.

13. somber

somber Banned

14. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

Same here. Always one in my kit and a Maratac AAA if I'm going to be out after dark. There's at least a Photon on my keys always.

15. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I never saw the point of carrying a flashlight until I started carrying one. Now, I don't leave home without one. Get a cheap one and carry it for a while. If you find you don't like it, then keep rocking on with no light. I have a feeling, though, that you might be surprised.

I have used them for:
    • looking for something in unlit closets
    • walking at night
    • provide lighting in the event of a power failure
    • mechanical problems (which always seem to happen at night far from home)
    • provide low-level lighting around the house at night (my wife cannot stand to have lights on at night)
    • getting caught on a trail after dark (due to a twisted ankle)
    • looking for something under a desk, behind a file cabinet, or under a vehicle
    • carry while walking at night to make myself more visible to motorists

16. Stutoffee

Stutoffee Loaded Pockets

Erm...I guess its NICE to have a hobby!! :)

(Only joking, I realise that you mean picking up doggy-do from your own dog! - I hope!! ;-) )

17. Wolvee

Wolvee Loaded Pockets

Walking the dog at night
    I've had to lift a hood/bonnet to look at an engine multiple times
    Under the car as well
    Under my Desk when I dropped something small (Like one of the chip diamonds from my wedding ring)
    At work behind the computers/servers
    At school during movies and labs when I needed to rummage through my bag
    Look down my nephews throat at his swollen tonsils before I took him to the hospital
    Indirect light for my impromptu Youtube videos
    When the power went out at work, I was the only one w/ a flashlight (& Emergency kit)
    The power has went out multiple times at home and I have always had my light nearby.
    I directed traffic once during an accident until the police arrived and took over. (Used my diffuser that time.)
    Searched through a dark neighborhood for my friends dog once.
    My friend lost his keys during a football game and we had to search under the bleachers and would not have found them if it was not for the light.

...many more. And this has only been within the last 6 months since I started carrying a FL.

...my point is I have always been prepared since I started EDC'ing a FL. Quark AA2

18. Rah14

Rah14 Empty Pockets

Being able to light things up just makes life more convenient for me and the people with me. With all the new tech., whynot? :D Impress a few people along the way, and you get to buy some cool toys.

19. RGNY

RGNY Empty Pockets

i pick up after the dog, and 1-2 times is after dark. :) also, i have hobbies that involve loading/unloading gear at night and a light is always handy to make sure i haven't missed anything. also, now that people know i carry a light, i'm constantly being asked if they can use it. so apparently there is a niche for an EDC light.

20. Rev. Chuck

Rev. Chuck Loaded Pockets

Same reason here!