1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The point of an EDC flashlight?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Gezab, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Gezab

Gezab Empty Pockets

I've never had a use for a flashlight in my every day life, ever. Why would someone EDC a flashlight? I don't mean to be confrontational, but it seems to me it's kinda useless.

2. GRIFFINHAWKS

GRIFFINHAWKS Banned

Also with no intention of being rude,
    This is a Can-O-Worms headliner and unless you intend to start carrying one, what other reason would you ask the question ?
    If you want more information on the subject,
    you can take a look around and find anything you would ever want to know about why we carry anything ;)

BE WELL .. GH

3. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

maybe if you carried one you would use it..

so many times even during daylight hours i reach for mine.. just sorting threw a closest..under the hood of my car..
    in my crawl place (under my home) if i drop something very small in the carpet...the light comes in so handy..

4. iacchus

iacchus Loaded Pockets

A flashlight is one of those things that you never realize you need until you have one.

Once you start carrying one, you find out that they are one of the most useful things you can carry.

There are days I use my torch twice as often as my knife.

Don't believe me? Buy a light and carry it for a few weeks. Report back in when you want to upgrade because you are finding the one you bought only meets 35% of your flashlight needs.

Cheers!

5. Gezab

Gezab Empty Pockets

Well, I appreciate the replies. Could you guys give me an example though? I've never found myself wishing I had a light.

6. GRIFFINHAWKS

GRIFFINHAWKS Banned

That was a little harsh, Sorry :|
    If you thrive in your life without carrying a light or knife, then bless you ;)
    If I could bring my self to walk out of the house without these items, feeling naked and unprepared, it would change my life !
    But I can't . So welcome to the forum and get your wallet ready for a shock ! Enjoy :)

BE WELL .. GH

7. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

Because it gets dark every day...

In exactly the same way that a knife is a useful tool to have, so is a light - drop something in a dark cinema, need something from the depths of the unlit cupboard at work, need an extra bit of light in a dim room to see something better, end up out late and coming home in the dark (ever walked along unlit country roads in the dark?), power failure at night or in an enclosed space, as a signal, the list goes on. I (and I am guessing everyone else replying in this thread) just find it incredibly handy to have a portable and reliable source of light if the need arises.

The same as every other EDC tool - nobody *needs* a knife, pen, multitool or any other item, they just help to make the world that bit safer and easier to manage, a torch is no different.

8. 50ft-trad

50ft-trad Loaded Pockets

9. firemedic183

firemedic183 Loaded Pockets

I carry and use a light EVERYDAY!!! It gets used much more than my pocket knife does!! My wife (at the time girlfriend) used to tease me or ask me why I carried a light all of the time. Of course my reply was "to see in the dark." She has quit teasing since she uses a light just as much as I do, if not more. I have since gotten her her own light to carry, along with a pocket knife. As for a few specific examples of what I have used a light for during daylight hours here is a short list: Checking the fuel level in a ARFF fire truck, checking pupil reactivity in patients eyes, finding my keys that I had dropped in a movie theater, finding my flashlight that I dropped in a movie theater (I had a secondary light on my keychain), finding my way through a dimly lit house during emergency responses, finding my wife's backing to her earring in the carpet, looking under car seat while cleaning car for trash, or misplaced items, the list could go on and on and on. If I were you, I would seriously think about purchasing a fenix L0D and put it on your keychain. My guess is that you will start using it frequently enough to go ahead and buy a brighter and bigger light. My personal favorite is the Surefire E1B, or the RDS Clicky!!! Go onto surefire's website and just read the testimonials. I sincerely hope that this helps, and please let us know what you decide.

10. Roger999

Roger999 Loaded Pockets

Because there is a forecast of 100% chance of darkness everyday.

11. Urban Hermit

Urban Hermit EDC Junkie!!!

I'm sure all this has been covered. But reasons I've had to use my light have been. Break downs late at night, coming home to my house when the power is out, Helping a friend fix her garbage disposal, Helping find something in a dark shed or basement. (have done both). And for years I worked security and used my light every night, which is basically what got me into the habit of carrying one.

12. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

I guess you spend 24 hours a day at home. (Just a bit of good-natured ribbing.)

I carry a light everyday. I've even used it when it was bright and sunny out. For examples of why some of us EDC a light, check out the following thread on candlepowerforums:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=277597

Filled with specific examples of flashlight use. (If you'll notice, the topic is nearly 20 pages long.)

Read through it, and you'll have answered your own question. :)

13. P35

P35 Loaded Pockets

:laugh::crackup:;D:crackup::laugh:
    well said, I manage to use my EDC light every day

14. Ajax

Ajax Loaded Pockets

Times I've used most recently:
    running cables under desks
    troubleshooting a computer tower
    repairing the office copy machine
    searching for the wife's earring in the van
    playing flashlight tag with the daughter

15. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

Because you never know when you are going to have to look for something in a dark place( under a bed or any piece of furniture, in a closet, etc.).

16. Stutoffee

Stutoffee Loaded Pockets

Aside from my light being useful at night, I use mine EVERY day at work.
    My store doesnt have an awful lot of natural light coming in as we have large window displays, & one of the windows has a huge graphic on it, so once the lights are turned off we're in darkness (especially in winter - it was dark at about 5.30pm here today!) until we reach the door.
    Our canteen area has NO windows & once, when I was making tea/coffee for all of us, the lights failed leaving me in total darkness but for the light of the fauxton on my keys.

Put a photon (or fauxton) on your keys & I guarantee it'll come in handy, again, especially as Winter approaches.

17. ATCustom

ATCustom Loaded Pockets

I use mine everyday - indispensible for looking for small parts from kids' toys under the carseat and picking up doggy-do at night. I only carry lithium powered tactical all-weather titanium high luminosity flashlights. ;)

18. Traderdell

Traderdell Loaded Pockets

I use mine (Preon Revo at the moment) several times during the day. Running the dog out just before bed, stuff dropped under the desk or something at the back of the canning cupboard.

19. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

Here are the things I use my lights for every day or at least every work day:

* Walking the dogs -- there's nothing quite as unpleasant as trying to pick up dog poop in the dark without a light. Even more unpleasant is being struck by a car.

* Putting on my clothes in the morning without waking my wife -- I go to work much earlier than she.

* Getting ready for bed at night without waking my wife -- She frequently goes to bed before I do.

* Checking the doors before going to bed -- I can't sleep unless I know they're locked, the remnants of growing up in a very bad neighborhood.

* Looking behind, around or inside gear in poorly lit network closets and datacenters -- even a well lit datacenter often won't provide enough light to read the serial number from a device.

* Examining boo-boos on my small children -- Especially at night, when I don't want to wake up their sibs by turning on the room light, or wake up the "injured" offspring more by bringing him or her into a more well-lit location.

* Digging around for certain objects inside my laptop bag -- very helpful for finding just the right cable or connector.

Here are less common but (IMO) more awesome uses that justify carrying a light even without the everyday uses:

* Fifteen people doing a walkthrough of a building under construction, when the power went out in the basement datacenter and it was pitch black, I calmly took out my Quark 123 and continued my walkthrough like nothing happened.

* Alone in a subbasement full of hot, oily, dangerous things, some helpful soul turned the light off for me. Having a flashlight in that room may have saved me from serious injury.

* Lighting up my neighbor to stop him from hitting his wife in front of their house. He apparently didn't want to do that with people watching.

I could go on, but I don't have to. I always have a flashlight on my person, but if you don't choose to carry one, that's no problem for me. The only people who I try to influence to carrying a light are my wife (who carries two now) and engineers on my team, who need to have a light in their laptop bags if they want to stay on my team.

20. tal-c

tal-c Loaded Pockets

I actually do get what the original poster said, since while i REALLY like all the surefire/novatac/any other flashlight out there (and some of them very nice looking), i really don't get the point of carrying a seperate "big" flashlight.

i'd say go with a photon freedom or a 1xAAA flashlight on your keychain. you won't know it's there untill you'll need it, and i can't remember a situation that my photon freedom wasn't bright enough.

then again, if someone likes to carry a 2Xcr123 flashlight, good for him! i won't mind getting a SF backup light, although i'll just pet it all day long and never really carry it. :)