1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The Pipe Smoking Thread

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by Sharaz_Jek, Dec 28, 2014.

1. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Yeah. I didn't even notice that autocorrect got me.

baconboyrlz and Sharaz_Jek like this.
  2. whiskey

whiskey Loaded Pockets

Having a bowl of Rattray's Red Rapparee in a Stanwell Golden Danish. Great, easy smoking Balkan that always satisfies me.

Sharaz_Jek and baconboyrlz like this.
  3. Guarddog
    • In Omnia Paratus

Guarddog EDC Junkie !!!!!

The Pipe Smoking Thread has gotten kinda quiet lately. Anyone tried a new flavor or a new pipe lately? I know the weather has been kinda hot down South lately. Pipe smoking seems to be more of a cool weather sport for me. :)

Sharaz_Jek likes this.
  4. Gym55Rat

Gym55Rat Loaded Pockets

Not a new pipe or new blend. I had a local blend in my 2011 St.Paddy's day Peterson pipe if that counts.

Guarddog likes this.
  5. EricV

EricV Loaded Pockets

Tried some Lanes very cherry from a buddy's pouch while hiking this past weekend and was surprised how much I liked it. Time to order some samplers.

6. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

On the way: brushed brass Zippo; Thunderbird butane pipe insert for said Zippo; couple of canisters of 'highly purified' Thunderbird butane. Just received a Maxpedition Skinny organizer. Decided to put my pipes back into use and needed a pipe lighter and an organizer! Been smoking cigars once or so a week but the nicotine levels in the cigars are not playing nice with my blood pressure meds...

Besides which, for a weekly smoke at the local lounge, I kinda like the idea of my pipes. Don't mind carrying extra gear (compared with what I carried as a cigar smoker) for this. And before someone 'flames' me :eek: , yeah I know I'll still be getting the impact of second hand smoke! Just wanted an excuse for the pipes! :p

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

7. Moshe ben David

Got questions for y'all.

Its been quite a few years since I smoked any of my pipes. Like around 7 years. Like everything else in life, seems there have been changes. Not least of which is the VAST array of tobaccos on the market. Or maybe I just wasn't aware back then.

1. In addition to this thread, which websites do you suggest are good to check in on for further points of view? I did make some notes as I went through here; but I suspect only a few were mentioned. Not only for tobacco reviews, but also lighters, etc etc etc. Go on -- weigh in! I'm opening the door to all you enablers! :confused:
    2. The OTC blends (Captain Black, Carter Hall) I'm sort of familiar with. Basically in the past I've always gone into a local B&M shop and bought from their jars. Given that I have one with a lounge where I've been hanging out smoking cigars, I'll still do that. Needless to say though, none of their jars have the forms of plugs, slices, and other such hardened forms. How do you prepare these for smoking? Surely must be done or you can't load a bowl, tamp it, etc. Any pointers, reference to videos, etc., would be welcome!
    3. I've already (see previous post) sort of committed to a Zippo with a pipe insert from Thunderbird. Given that neither has arrived yet I can still reverse the decision if it was not a good one. Like to hear your experiences. Partly from the point of view of the reliability of the resulting lighter itself. Partly from the point of view of possible risk to the rim(s) of my pipes from a flame that might be less controllable than a dedicated pipe lighter. I'm not concerned with wind etc as most likely I'll only be using it at the lounge... (yeah sure! :rolleyes: )
    I guess that ought to do it for right now.
    L'chaim!
    Moshe ben David

8. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

I have a question. I roll my own cigarets, but I'm interested in pipes. Do any of you have some advice?

Cheers

9. Moshe ben David

This thread has gone to sleep again...

Is there no interest in keeping it awake?

Love to see and read about what is being smoked, in which pipes, together with which libations...

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

10. Gym55Rat

Gym55Rat Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. Moshe ben David

@Gym55Rat: Beauty. At the top of my pipe 'someday' list is to have a Peterson of this style... Liking your lighter also.

I use a brass zippo with a butane insert.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Gym55Rat likes this.
  12. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

I sit here by the riverfront enjoying the dregs of my very first bowl as I type this.

ETA: I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. It was just a $6 cob and Captain Black White but I'm more relaxed now, even three hours after the bowl, than I have been in a very long time. I got a bit of tongue bite and the baccy probably could have used some time to dry because it refused to stay lit in the last third of the bowl. I don't care. It was delicious and a wonderful experience. It won't be an every day thing- far from it- but I think I'll enjoy the rare pipe from time to time. I do think I need to pick up a Dr. Grabow or two and a couple more cobs with some more tobacco, but that's my collecting instinct kicking in.

#452 thatotherguy, Aug 7, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    Guarddog likes this.
  13. thatotherguy

My new-as-of-about-an-hour-ago pipe resting on it's homemade bit stand carved of 200 year old old growth cherry wood after a bowl of CBW.[​IMG]

14. thatotherguy

Moved away from my hometown and had to tour the pipe shop in the new city. Great place. Great tobacco. Great patio lounge.[​IMG]

qualitycarry and Guarddog like this.
  15. qualitycarry

qualitycarry Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    Time for a relaxing smoke.
    With some Peterson 3P Plug tobacco.

16. Wes Lee

Wes Lee Loaded Pockets