1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The Pipe Smoking Thread

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by Sharaz_Jek, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Ben Rubinstein

Nope, I eat pens instead. Especially in work. One of my employees threatened to buy me a pacifier. :D

2. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

the box arrived today. I'll probably spend the weekend drooling on stuff and then send it on

baconboyrlz, whiskey and Sharaz_Jek like this.
  3. Sharaz_Jek

Sharaz_Jek Loaded Pockets

Probably the best smelling box that was ever sent via post.

baconboyrlz, whiskey and kertap75 like this.
  4. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I agree. I took the box over to my brothers house yesterday to go through it (he lives about 50 feet away) since he is also a novice pipe smoker. He took about a dozen small samples, I'll probably do the same tomorrow night since it's my night off. I'm completely overwhelmed by the variety. I smelled everything at least twice already lol. I think there was only one or two that I didn't think "wow that smells good" or "that is interesting, I need to try that". How do you guys who have big collections ever decide what to smoke?

baconboyrlz and whiskey like this.
  5. Sharaz_Jek

I've been narrowing down things actually. Carter Hall, Old Joe Krantz, Hal O'the Wynd, and Philosopher are my rotation for the most part. I picked up a couple ounces of C&D's "Haunted Bookshop" it it will be edging out OJK soon I think.

baconboyrlz, whiskey and kertap75 like this.
  6. Frankie Bones

Frankie Bones Loaded Pockets

I'm glad I found this thread. I smoke my pipe intermittently. I used to have a stable but now I only have two. I really only smoke this guy though and the only tobacco I smoke is ennerdale flake. I need to diversify a little but I love this little pipe:

[​IMG]

7. Sharaz_Jek

Beautiful little nose warmer. Nice and chunky and good for EDC.

baconboyrlz, whiskey and Guarddog like this.
  8. Frankie Bones

Frankie Bones Loaded Pockets

My feelings precisely. It fits perfect in my hand and has a nice feel to it. Plus I love smaller bowls. Thank you!

9. Sharaz_Jek

The pipe that resides in my pocket. Sav 320.

[​IMG]

10. whiskey

whiskey Loaded Pockets

I am out backpacking with my 60 year old mom. We had wonderful weather today. I love a pipe at the end of a hike. And while cooking dinner. And while sitting by the campfire. :)

[​IMG]

"So he cocked both his pistols, spit in the dirt, and walked out in to the street."

11. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'm smoking a bowl of one from the box labeled "quiet time". I'm enjoying it so far. The closest name I can find with a google search is GL Pease Quiet Nights

Sharaz_Jek, baconboyrlz and whiskey like this.
  12. Matt Shepard

Matt Shepard Loaded Pockets

Just discovered this thread. I'm a novice pipe smoker...as in, I only smoke when it's nice and cool outside. Unfortunately, I live in Houston so that isn't often. I'll have to dig mine out tomorrow and start trying to get good at it again. That and whittling are two of my favorite "out sitting on the patio" activities.

Pics of it are coming tomorrow.

13. whiskey

whiskey Loaded Pockets

Picked up a well smoked CAO at an antique store this afternoon. Spent a couple hours cleaning it tonight. Airway is clear now, cake is trimmed all the way down too. Just need to tighten the stem a little and give it a good waxing.

[​IMG]

"So he cocked both his pistols, spit in the dirt, and walked out in to the street."

14. Matt Shepard

That looks like a nice find! It sounds like you know what you're doing. What did you look for, if anything, before deciding the pipe was in good shape?

whiskey likes this.
  15. whiskey

whiskey Loaded Pockets

Matt, this one was priced right, so I just checked for cracks in the meerschaum and fit of the stem. I assumed by the evidence of use that it was a decent smoker. I know that the CAO are usually decent pipes too. The bowl is large and I liked the shape. Not crazy about the carving pattern, but don't hate it either.

Matt Shepard likes this.
  16. Matt Shepard

That makes sense. Thank you for sharing and please let us know how you like it.

whiskey likes this.
  17. whiskey

whiskey Loaded Pockets

Having a cob full of Newminster Superior Round Slices. For me, this is the best value in bulk tobacco. I love the natual flavor of this blend. This is the poor man's Strang. It shines in a cob too. Some people find that it bites, but I don't have that issue.

kertap75, Sharaz_Jek and Matt Shepard like this.
  18. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Box is all packed up and ready to mail to @baco
    I added an unopened tin of DE Meat Pie and half a tin of Aston Smooth Sailing. I was tempted by the little pipe in there. But I already feel guilty because of all the samples I took lol.

Sharaz_Jek, baconboyrlz and whiskey like this.
  19. whiskey

whiskey Loaded Pockets

It's been a hectic week so far. We have a puppy in the house this week and me and the other 3 dogs aren't adjusting well. :) just got to make it till Saturday when we take the pup down to my mom's. So me and my 3 dogs are hiding in the basement man cave and smoking a bowl of Bengal Slices in the Nording Ram.

[​IMG]

20. baconboyrlz
    • In Omnia Paratus

baconboyrlz Loaded Pockets

I'm going to assume that it's coming to me. Thanks! I just hope I have enough baggies for what I'm putting into the box!

kertap75 and whiskey like this.