1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The perfect lightweight backpacking folder - a knife in search of a problem

Discussion in 'Knives' started by aicolainen, Aug 19, 2020.

1. yo mama

yo mama Loaded Pockets

Sorry I'm late, I don't see how one could beat a lightweight manix2

[​IMG]

2. Sonorum

Sonorum Loaded Pockets

aicolainen, Lateck, twin63 and 2 others like this.
  3. Sonorum

Sonorum Loaded Pockets

There is also a case to be made for a larger Opinel with stainless steel. Nothing fancy but very lightweight for its size.

Benton629 likes this.
  4. Boy SureFire

Boy SureFire May The Bridges I Burn Light The Way

5. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I'm really excited about this series, too! I love FFG blades.

6. Sonorum

Sonorum Loaded Pockets

If it is strictly for use as a food prep knife for maybe a weeks hiking, sure, a PE would be easier to clean. In regards to sharpening I personally don't think either edge is more difficult than the other. With a sharpmaker it's the same and if you do freehand sharpening you just use your sharpmaker rods with the "stone in hand" technique. The larger bevel of a SE makes it even easier to find the angle.
    I mostly just like the way serrated edges cuts.

jag-engr likes this.
  7. Boy SureFire

Boy SureFire May The Bridges I Burn Light The Way

Fair enough, and I do use the Sharpsmaker at home along with some mini DMT hones in my EDC bag. My stable of blades is primarily PE with the odd combo Leatherman mixed into the mashup, but personally given the option I'll always pick PE even for pieces that are only occasional EDC. Everyone's different, so this is in no way a right VS wrong situation.

Rfpd29 likes this.
  8. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

Absolutely. Not really important if it works out in that role or not, this knife in LC200N, FFG, SE is so interesting in its own right. And not to mention the price point - it's truly a no-brainer.

There is a case to be made for PE in this particular use case, but I've read so much positive about the spyder-edge, and I just got my first SE Spyderco in the form of a Manbug Salt. It works amazingly well in that small form factor, and I must admit I'm very curious to try it in a larger blade.

Thanks for the advice, all though it's already snuck in at the top of my list, with availability notifications enabled at my preferred dealers.

Yikes, 2020 has been a crazy year. So many knives :frantic:

Sonorum likes this.
  9. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

Manly Peak 1 with S90V was my immediate reaction after reading your requirements. This was before I saw you had it listed! It is incredibly grippy in the handand incredibly sharp.

tbzbbt

aicolainen likes this.
  10. aicolainen

Yes, it does seem to fit the bill very well, and the price point is very reasonable.
    I will probably try it out at some point, but right now I've just received quite a few new knives, so I need to go out and use them for a while to find out which have become redundant and where there is still some holes in my collection.

Sonorum likes this.
  11. Sonorum

Sonorum Loaded Pockets

The Manly Peak is an interesting knife in it's own right! But if you want to climb a mountain the 72 grams of the PS2 lc200n sounds a lot more appealing than the 115 grams of the Peak.

12. aicolainen

That's probably true, unless I drop it from that mountain. Then, dropping a knife that can be bought in Norway for approx. NOK 700,- is probably more appealing than dropping a knife that currently has to be imported at an approx. cost of NOK 1700,- :D

Either way, I'm getting the PS2 FFG SE first, and we'll take it from there.

13. Fishin Fool

Fishin Fool Loaded Pockets

The second part of that line caught me completely by surprise.:confused:

If you said to 1000 people around the world today "yikes, 2020 has been a crazy year" and invited them to add 3 more words, I wonder how many would pick the three you did?

This isn't a shot or an insult, just an observation that amused me. :D

aicolainen likes this.
  14. Sonorum

Sonorum Loaded Pockets

I know the feeling! I'm in Sweden so I know knives can be a bit expensive with customs and everything. I never find a lower price than lamnia.com or knivbutik.se

Hiking is just about the only time I use a lanyard. I put a carabiner in a belt loop and a longer piece of paracord throught the knife. Like this:
    [​IMG]
    Picture by Paul Kirtley

God tur!

15. aicolainen

Tack! god tur till dig också!

I've never been a fan of lanyards, and never put one on any knife until i recently got my Manbug salt, which almost requires one so I can fish that tiny thing out from my watch pocket.
    But how you implemented that lanyard for hiking purpose actually seems like a great idea. I've never lost one on the trail yet, but I worry about it, and such implementation of a lanyard could certainly provide some peace of mind.

Oh, and nice Fällkniven! They have been my favorite fixed blades for 20+ years. Ironically I never had any of their fällknivar, but I've been very close to buying a GP on several occasions. I would prefer to have one with cocobolo, but sadly (for me, but maybe not for the rainforests) those are increasingly harder to find. Maybe one day.

In the mean time I have my ugly duckling
    [​IMG]

Rfpd29 and BigGreenTick like this.
  16. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I hope they make it available in a CE blade. I have found CE knives to be the most useful around water. Otherwise, I'll just go with a PE blade.

I believe that Sal has commented on Spyderco Forums that H1 steel "work hardens", which makes it hold its edge better on a serrated knife.

17. aicolainen

I've not heard any rumors of a CE version yet, but you never know. One tip I got from a user over at the Spyderco forum is to intentionally sharpen PE knives with a lower grit to create a rough edge instead of the polished edges we seem to aim for. The resulting effect should be something approximating micro serrations, which should give the knife some of the advantages of PE, but without some of the disadvantages.
    Haven't tried this myself, but after using the Manbug Salt for a little while now, I've really come to appreciate the spyder-edge for my typical EDC tasks. those serrations on the tip bites into material like nothing else. It's almost like magic.
    I've always considered my Chaparral to by my laser beam. It just glides through stuff, but the little bug dwarfs it when it comes to getting into the material and stay there throughout the cut.

I'm not sure I'll find the same level of utility in a larger serrated knife, but I will never know without trying. And trying new stuff is what keeps things fun.
    The thing that worries me most with SE, is that with the blade length of a Pacific Salt, it will be a natural choice for food, and I'm very uncertain how well SE performs for general food prep. Surly you don't see a lot of SE chefs knives.
    I still go a little back and forth between PE and SE, but most likely I'll end up with SE. First.

This seems to be the general consensus, yes. This isn't relevant for the green versions of the Seki Salt line revealed in reveal 6 though. These will be made in FFG LC200N. Spyderco says that the yellow Seki H1 line will continue to be produces alongside the new LC200N versions. At least for now.
    I like the hollow grind on the H1 versions, but for SE, FFG seems to be the better choice.

BigGreenTick likes this.
  18. Slipjoint

Slipjoint Loaded Pockets

My favorite cheap "expendable" folder is the Bucklite Max. It's not the prettiest or fanciest, but it's lightweight, weather restistant, comfortable in the hand, has a decent amount of blade length, and has a lanyard hole and a great deep-carry clip (very sturdy). It's a GREAT knife and you can find them for under $30 ($22.99 on Amazon as of October 15, 2020).

I don't know why these weren't more successful because they're excellent EDC blades. They're just the thing when you don't want to risk your fancier knives in a rough environment.

I've been carrying one daily for about 10 years.

jag-engr and Fishin Fool like this.
  19. BklynBoy

BklynBoy Loaded Pockets

How about a Victorinox Trekker or Rangergrip 78. Both have a one handed operating 4 inch blade, a workable saw and a couple of other tools. I regularly take mine camping (along with a fixed blade) as a backup. The only downside is that it is not as light as some of the other choices. On the other hand, A saw is very useful, so much so that if I think I am going to do much wood prep, I leave the Victorinox at home and take a Silky pocket saw along with my Delica as the backup

MatBlack likes this.
  20. Sonorum

Sonorum Loaded Pockets

Prepare for pictures! But everyone loves pictures right?

I looked at BladeHQ and sorted for knives between 3,5-4 inches in blade length and under 3 ounces and these are the ones that are interesting to me (not including the Spyderco Pacific Salt 2 LC200n:

Otter Mercator Cat

Buck 110 Slim, either the "select" 420hc version or "pro" s30v

Opinel No 9 in stainless steel. Dip the beech wood handle in some oil and you're good to go. Great for food prep with a very thin blade.

Boker Plus Urban Trapper. The major downside is bearings but it has a long blade and doesn't weigh much.

Steel Will Intrigue. Long and slim. The less fancy version with D2 has washers and not bearings.

#40 Sonorum, Oct 20, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2021