1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The Perfect Knife

Discussion in 'Knives' started by GuyWithTheThings, Jul 3, 2014.

1. GuyWithTheThings

GuyWithTheThings Loaded Pockets

Maybe you could disassemble a Manix 2 and a Yojimbo 2 and swap the blades out. And I might have to try that idea of yours...

Edit: Just realized the Manix 2 lock won't work with the Yojimbos lock. Maybe a PM2 would work.

2. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

The blade would have to have a large enough tang to be able to be ground and modified to work with the opposite lock, which isn't out of the question depending on the knife but probably not likely between those two models. It would also take some very precise work so lockup was solid. It would be much easier to make a new handle for the lock and blade. You could take a Manix 2 and make a custom handle literally any shape your heart desired as long as the lock and spine of the handle were the same as stock. The reason it would be easy with a Manix 2 is because the liners aren't nested, and in the case of the lightweight version it doesn't have liners at all except for the very small little 8 shaped liners around the pivot, so the rest of the handle would be very easy to shape however you wanted and you wouldn't be bound to following the same of the liners, like you would with a Para 2 for example. On a Para 2 you could make the handle any shape you wanted as long as it was large enough to still nest the factory liners into, but you couldn't make them any smaller unless you also modified the liners (which isn't out of the question, but requires a bit more work to make look factory). To make a custom G10 Manix 2 lightweight, you would basically just make a set of 3/16 thick scales just like you would for the standard G10 knife, but then you'd machine out the little liners around the pivot. The rest would be exactly the same as a standard G10 Manix 2 aside from whatever custom changes you wanted to make out of it. The wire clip would be very easy to put on a G10 knive...just drill a hole for the bolt to pass through and machine some slits for the clip to nest into.

GuyWithTheThings likes this.
  3. horgerg

horgerg Loaded Pockets

Delica 4 in S30V with a compression lock.

Massen, jonny8642, Sriracha and 2 others like this.
  4. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

An OHO Alox Pioneer with a locking main blade, a clip, and scissors. Like a Delica blade instead of the Vic blade. But maybe a little smaller than a Delica. Alox so it will be slim... I hate that Vic finally puts clips on their knives, and they are all FAT!

5. GuyWithTheThings

Sorry if I'm wrong, but are you EvilSSP on YouTube?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Evil D likes this.
  6. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

Yep that's me :D

GuyWithTheThings likes this.
  7. GuyWithTheThings

Awesome! You should do some more videos there. I love watching them.

Evil D likes this.
  8. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

Yeah, I've been meaning to. It used to be a major :censored: (geez P-I-T-A is censored? It's already abbreviated lol) to upload videos from my camcorder and took forever to convert them, but now my phone takes pretty good quality videos and they're super easy to upload so I plan on doing more. I'm really thinking about trying to make this G10 Manix 2 lightweight myself, I feel pretty confident that I could pull it off. I've done quite a bit of G10 work on my Yo 2 and Rock Lobster, I just need to get some info about the right countersink drill bits for the holes and figure out how to mill out the little liners. If I do I'll make a video of it. I'm also planning to do one for my Southard and a few others I have.

Wydern likes this.
  9. GuyWithTheThings

If you made a video on it or a little montage of the process I would totally watch it and maybe try it out. But since I'm not that crafty I might just get a regular G10 Manix 2 and swap out the blade with my S110V Manix.

Wydern likes this.
  10. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

That isn't very difficult, aside from drilling out the pins in the lightweight version. If you're careful and you buy the correct screws, you can successfully swap the S30V blade back into the lightweight handle. There's a thread over on the Spyderco forum covering how it's done. I had originally planned on doing this, but turned out really loving the super light weight of the FRN handle. I also really love the older Spyderco G10 knives that had minimal liners because it's so easy to modify the shape of the handle, and they were pretty light weight.

Wydern and GuyWithTheThings like this.
  11. Karmakanic

Karmakanic Loaded Pockets

A tracking device, so that I can find it when I lose it.

12. jon1all

jon1all Loaded Pockets

Good old plain jane Large Sebenza 21 is pretty tough to beat! I guess if could change one thing about it it'd be nice to have in M390 or CTS-204P... that said... I have zero problem with S35VN (which is a great user/EDC steel... easy to sharpen, holds an excellent edge, etc).

13. flatblackcapo

flatblackcapo EDC Junkie!!!!!

My perfect folding knife would be different just abut every time you ask me, but at this moment I am thinking SAK Electrician with good high carbon blade steel like W2 , a bail and well blended/ hidden toothpick and tweezers.

Sriracha likes this.
  14. Ironside

Ironside Loaded Pockets

Small CF Seb Insingo

nwjavahead likes this.
  15. JustinJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

JustinJ Loaded Pockets

perfect knife as in dream knife i would make if i had the skills/tools/supplies/time or the money to pay someone who does: Kwaiken blade shape with a very thick spine, handle would either be integral titanium (like the lionsteel tispine) or ti liners with easily swappable zirconium, c-tek, and carbon fiber scales. pocket clip that sits flush with the handle when not in use. kershaw overdrive style flipper that sits flush inside the handle when the blade is deployed.

Adahn and Ironside like this.
  16. Freman

Freman Loaded Pockets

17. Ironside

Ironside Loaded Pockets

Cool idea. Such a function would require careful integration of the clip from both a functional and looks perspective and durability will need to be addressed, but thats a good thing to try to get right as clip design so often seems just an afterthought.

18. JustinJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

JustinJ Loaded Pockets

I've seen it done a couple different ways. on GTC customs (and the GTC designed Boker Federal) the clip is attached to a springy arm (similar to the lockbar) so it can bend out when needed and it springs back in to sit flush with the handle when not needed. I saw another knife that I can't recall the name/maker of where the clip protruded through a hole in the scale when the knife was closed, but was pulled into the handle by a linkage when the blade deployed.

Ironside likes this.
  19. jed jennings

jed jennings Empty Pockets

BM Osborne 940 - but since it's my most expensive knife I can't bring myself to carry it, which I suppose is an argument against it being ideal....
    Put it this way, if I had a few $400+ gems, I'd carry the 940. As it is, I worship it as a work of art and carry a lowly Mini Grip or Leek.

20. JustinJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

JustinJ Loaded Pockets

i have the opposite approach and always reach for the highest-end knife I own. my lower-priced knives wind up being shelf queens, as those are the ones i bought because they looked cool/fun and they were cheap.

Lightnig, GuyWithTheThings and Wydern like this.