1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The Pen Refill Compatibility Thread

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by edcfstaff, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

No, the blobby issue doesn't bother me that much. It's the fact that ballpoints in general don't write darkly and smoothly like gel or rollerball. I actually find the Fine points more objectionable for that reason--lots of drag & not enough ink on the page. I've used fountain pens in the past, but they are too much of a :censored:. I've pretty much settled on gel or rollerball or hybrid ink styles for day-to-day use. We are lucky in this day & age--there are so many choices out there that everyone can have a quality writing instrument that suits their needs.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  2. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

Thankfully I am ever so happy with G2
    .7mm!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

3. timebomb

timebomb Loaded Pockets

4. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Essentially, no...you can probably drill out the tip with a #38 drill bit to accept a Fisher Space Pen refill (they are same size except for tip diameter). They write anywhere, anytime, any position....crappily ever after. There is not really a good (one that writes well) refill for this pen and the F style Zebra refills have to be restarted every time you write with them, which is a deal=breaker for me....you know the deal--YMMV

timebomb likes this.
  5. timebomb

timebomb Loaded Pockets

Thanks, Tesla! I'll skip on this one and try the mini version which accepts D1 refills. What do you like as far as D1s?

6. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

The Schmidt Easy Flow D1 refills are great in my book...the Jetstream D1 refills are good, as well...both are Hybrid ink, which writes very smoothly like gel, but unlike gel, it won't wash off easily, which is a consideration if you might get a document wet.

7. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

+1 for Schmidt Easy Flow refills!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

8. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

Zebra earlier Japanese version R-301 takes Pilot G2 gel and Pelikan Rollerball refills

9. ox71

ox71 Loaded Pockets

I had modified a gel pen refill for my original zebra F-701 and it fit perfectly with a little bit of duct tape around the top of the refill to fit the barrel a little tighter but I lost that one and I recently replaced it and bought zebra F(07) medium black and they seem to write nicer than the stock refill, does anyone else have this experience?[​IMG]

ox71

10. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Nope, I've tried all their different widths, including the broad. They all suck. They usually have to be restarted each time they're used and the black is...well....gray. Which is a shame because the F701 is a great pen body. Perhaps one day Zebra will wake up and come up with a metal-body version of the G301, which IS a great writer.

11. ox71

ox71 Loaded Pockets

I had a 301 and it did write very well.
    the black is lightly colored but it has started up fine every time so far
    with no gaps or stops.
    I found the refills in the logbook aisle in a truck stop along with the pen.
    I'll take a picture of the package card when I'm home, perhaps these refills are not available at common big box stores.

ox71

12. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

Lately I've been using the Pentel Energel Alloy with the 0.5mm energel refills. The Alloy pen takes Pentel energel and Uniball 207 refills but will not take Pilot G2's.

A friend at work has the Pentel Style twist pen. It too takes Energels and Uniballs but not Pilot G2.

Another friend has the Pilot Limited. It takes all three.

This is good marketing strategy by Pentel. Folks who buy the Alloy or the Style will no longer be in the market for Pilot G2 refills.

Personally I like the Pentel and uniball refills better than the G2's. I also like the Pentel Alloy more than the Pilot Limited, partly because I'm not a fan of rubber grips.

13. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

I'm a Gel pen junkie. Ball point just don't do it. Pilot .5mm was my log book pen.
    Now .7mm or even 1mm works for me.

14. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Have you ever tried the Uniball Signo 207 (meaning it is a 0.7 mm; I think other sizes also exist) pens? Usually sold at places like Staples in a pack of 4 or 5; whilst not intended to be refilled they do come apart easily enough so I guess they could be refilled. I keep some on hand for signatures and addressing envelopes. What's written is impervious to water and various nefarious attempts to wash away what's written by those who might wish to... There are various reviews online about this.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

15. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

Yes I have tried them. And they seem to be ok. But I've been stuck on G2 refills.

16. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

As long as you don't spill anything or go out in the rain with anything written, G2 is ok. They will run like they stole it if you get anything written with them wet.

17. this_is_nascar

this_is_nascar Loaded Pockets

I've found that gel pens won't write on certain paper. That's why I stopped carrying them.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

18. ox71

ox71 Loaded Pockets

I have found a decent fill for the Zebra F-701,
    it's a 7 dollar pen that features some terrific attributes so give up on it if you wish but if you have not given up try this little hack.

find a Zebra Z-Grip pen in the color you like and trim the refill down to 3.75" or 95.2mm and insert into the F-701

it's as simple as that, my picture has a writing sample along side the F series sample and the measurements of the refills.

remember, the z grip refill should NOT be trimmed to the length of the F series refill, it will not work.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

ox71

ran23 likes this.
  19. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

So two questions:
    Have you tried this yet, yourself?
    Is the Flight refill any improvement?

ox71 likes this.
  20. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

From the post it does seem to be a darker more bold line.

ox71 likes this.