1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The 'Peak Eiger Flashlight' Thread

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by olletsocmit, Nov 29, 2012.

1. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I went and ordered a Long Body SS 219 Mule last night along with a Dark Sucks Clip which already shipped evidently!
    I already have several Logans and am looking forward to this mini version for sure.

Now the wait.

quickster47 and tfbraden like this.
  2. choombak

choombak Loaded Pockets

Actually you ain't the odd one, all my Peak lights are non-QTC - I like one level, as reliable as it can get. No blinking, dancing, disco for me. Nah.

tfbraden and archimedes like this.
  3. archimedes

archimedes EDC Junkie!!!

Most of my Peak flashlights are single level, too ....

tfbraden likes this.
  4. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

So my Eiger just arrived along with my Dark Sucks clip and I think I have an issue between them.

The clip will not sit flush with the keychain attachment?

Anyone else have this combination and this problem?

[​IMG][​IMG]

tfbraden likes this.
  5. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

Mine is flush. Think it's just not cinched down hard enough?

tfbraden likes this.
  6. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

No,I have it tighter than I feel good about already trying to get it to seat correctly.

It is also pretty even all the way around.

I did get 2 clips at the same time too,one for the Preon and one for the Eiger. They are not marked in any way to tell them apart but the other one is way too lose for the Eiger and good on the Preon and this one will not really go on the Preon so I don't think this is the issue either?

I wonder if Jason has them mixed up with something else?

Also do you have the key stud like mine or the switch Blerv?

tfbraden likes this.
  7. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

I have the keychain eyelet/screw, EZDog. Bummer :(.

I would contact Jason. Worst case maybe you can ship the light for him to fit one.

8. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Thanks

I took sandpaper to it and now it fits.

Not a quick process though with Ti clips and a tiny hole!

[​IMG]

hix, THX2008, Bowman1911 and 3 others like this.
  9. archimedes

archimedes EDC Junkie!!!

I had to do something similar to get a Prometheus clip (HDS-type) to work on an older NovaTac ....

tfbraden likes this.
  10. uofaengr

uofaengr Loaded Pockets

Hey guys, only my 2nd post on EDCF but I've been getting more and more into lights lately. I picked up a Maratac Cu AAA a couple weeks ago and already looking for the next one.

I'm really interested in Peak right now and have heard a lot of good things about them, especially with the Nichia 219 so I've been looking heavily at the Oveready edition. I thought these only came in a tuxedo variation, but I see that you can also get the 219 in a stainless body or even brass?

I was really impressed with the Maratac though it's had some hiccups and wanted to get the experts' thoughts on the Oveready versions with the 219. Push me over the ledge guys!

tfbraden likes this.
  11. choombak

choombak Loaded Pockets

I prefer 219 over other neutral or HCRI LEDs'. Having said that, never had an Oveready version of Peak, simply because I have too many Peak lights! :)

uofaengr and tfbraden like this.
  12. uofaengr

uofaengr Loaded Pockets

How bright at max would you say the Eiger is on a standard lithium AAA or Eneloop? I know the 219 will be less bright, but how much? Has the reduction in brightness been a turnoff for anyone or is the tint of the 219 so good that it's enough to trump brightness?

tfbraden likes this.
  13. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

The only things from Peak exclusive to Oveready is the Nichia219 option and mule head (no reflector). The N219 is the most "neutral" high cri on the market, at least compared to Cree's offerings. It's tint bin average we see in lights is more 4000-4500k whereas the Cree is more in the average 2700-3000k range (far warmer, less lumen efficiency).

Peak makes a great light. The Nichia219 is an efficient LED and visually "perfect" by most standards. I prefer warmer binning (just visually) so go with Cree myself usually even though I have an Oveready n219 mule head too.

uofaengr and tfbraden like this.
  14. uofaengr

uofaengr Loaded Pockets

What about the small optic head with the 219? I see that is an option along with the mule head on Oveready's site. The small optic head has a reflector and states it's for the most throw possible in an Eiger. Is this not an exclusive? Anyone tried both and have a preference?

tfbraden likes this.
  15. archimedes

archimedes EDC Junkie!!!

The narrow optic, is an optic, not a reflector. The mule has neither.

Very different beam patterns.

tfbraden, Blerv and uofaengr like this.
  16. KeyeEl

KeyeEl EDC Junkie!!!!!

I found a regular Eiger bright enough for almost all daily tasks. Unless you need (or want) a pocket rocket for some reason, you should be fine with the output. As for the Nichia, it is my favorite and me parting with my Nichia Peak Eiger had more to do with the Eiger than the LED.

I don't really care for the Peak as a twisty and always found them a bit stiff against the QTC. (A head with more aggressive knurling or something would help) If they ever come up with a better option for a switch than the momentary, I may try them again.

uofaengr likes this.
  17. uofaengr

uofaengr Loaded Pockets

Whoops, sorry I got my terminology wrong there. I see on the site they claim the mule head is a perfect beam but it's all flood. Most of the praise I read for the 219 Eiger is with the mule head. I can't really find any reviews on the small optic with the 219. I guess I could always get both heads but don't want to right now. The mule head would be totally different than what I have now as my only pocket light is a Maratac Cu AAA with a cool, throwy beam. Ahh, I'm torn! Help me decide...

18. archimedes

archimedes EDC Junkie!!!

uofaengr likes this.
  19. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I got my Eiger 219 Mule from Oveready last week and I am really all over the fence about it so far.
    It is a beautiful light,tint and beam pattern for sure but not so sure it is worth the money for the pretty meager output of the Mule?
    And I don't mean because it is a 219 but because it is a Mule.

First it arrived dinged and the mule face scratched and the Dark Sucks clip I got for it did not fit without further machining by yours truly.
    The twist action is notably smoother and easier than my 3 Logan Peaks but the QTC is really the same frustrating story too,you either love them or just accept them for what they are,so far I have done the latter.

The beam is really interesting and is not even really a beam but just a dome of light emanating from the head.
    So far my only useful application for it seems to be waking up in the middle of the night with dark adapted eyes to do "things" and far from minimizing this use I have grown addicted to my SF Titan T1A for this job up to now!

I love the Titan and how low it will go and the miniscule size too.
    The Eiger is smaller around but longer than it should be to allow for the switch which I did not get but I needed to get the long body to accept the clip too and the Eiger also might go lower but it is tough to really tell as the beam is so different they are impossible to compare.
    Add to this that the Titan has repeatable low level ability where the Eiger QTC does not and I am not sure I prefer the Eiger for low level as I just can't trust it to stay there at all.

So far I have compared the V11r,HDS Rotary,RRT001 and Peak Logan with the Titan and the Titan just goes lower and is still usable too.
    The ZL all go lower as well but for me this is more a gimmick than a useful feature but to each his own here too.

The light from the Eiger is so different than anything else I am used to that it can be sort of mesmerizing really and it also seems pretty different from my ZL Mule as well?

I can see it being handy in the woods I think and will be testing that next week too.

It is a great light overall I would say but it also seems not the greatest value for the $100.00 with clip to me now.

YMMV as they say.

Last edited by EZDog, May 28, 2015
    O_G, tfbraden and uofaengr like this.
  20. uofaengr

uofaengr Loaded Pockets

EZDog Thanks so much for that detailed review. Those are the honest reviews I like to see. I'm relatively new to the flashlight game as before my Maratac the only nice lights I have are my Surefire P2X Fury and Lumamax so I'm still learning about emitters and heads and everything. I have read about fit and finish issues with Peak lights also and not sure I'm sold on the QTC...I do like the 3 modes of my Maratac and they are repeatable even though yes sometimes there is some mode skipping.

I think maybe it's the Nichia 219 itself and the rave reviews itself that is calling to me. I've since found out there are other smallish, more affordable lights that have this LED like the Preon P2 and L3 Illumination L08/L10 and 3 to 4 modes (I don't care for strobes or SOS) rather than QTC. It's funny because I had the Eiger in my cart on Monday trying to checkout but the website kept logging me out on my phone and I could never advance to checkout so maybe it's a blessing in disguise lol. It IS appealing that the Eiger can handle 10440 cells, but I'm not at the stage yet where I'm into the Li-ion and charger game.

tfbraden likes this.