1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The 'Peak Eiger Flashlight' Thread

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by olletsocmit, Nov 29, 2012.

1. olletsocmit

olletsocmit Banned

I have been interested in one of these flashlights for some time now. I think a lot of us have, but have not been able to decide if the price is worth is and since there are so many customization options, what setup to decide on. This will be a thread for discussion on these lights and input from current owners. Please post your pics, info, thoughts on these lights. I am really interested on pics of your def setups. It can be the AAA, 123, AA lights.

2. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

3. plk7

plk7 Loaded Pockets

had an ss eiger (1xaaa) with qtc (medium beam). very solid build, and really liked it, but babied it too much (was afraid to drop it, etc.) ended up selling it and picking up an olight 1xaa. now i miss the eiger and am thinking of picking up a logan (1xaa). (either that or a sunwayman v10a.) will try and find a photo and post it.

4. hiljentaa

hiljentaa Loaded Pockets

I have been putting off grabbing one of these for too long as the options are somewhat overwhelming to me. I don't really know flashlight tech very well. I want it to be like my G2 Preon P1/P2 - floody and I really like the light color.

The price is very reasonable considering the options and domestic production. Been trying to switch over to as many MUSA items as possible lately.

Nighted and Gnarly like this.
  5. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

I have a single level #8 Peak Eiger stainless steel with lug body. Despite the photo below, I power the Eiger using an Energizer Ultimate Lithium primary battery.

It is a well built light, has good tint, and the optic produces a somewhat wide beam without much of a hot spot.

The #8 was the highest brightness level Eiger offered at the time, and the runtime is shorter than one gets from a lower brightness light. This Eiger is brighter than the high level of my ITP A3 when performing a ceiling bounce test.

Wish the Eiger was a multi level light which accomplished level switching through successive twists like the ITP. I am wary of the QTC technology both in longevity and ease of use, so I haven't jumped on the QTC bandwagon yet.

I didn't know there was an AA version of the Eiger. Perhaps you mean the El Capitan. I have one of those too, with #8 brightness level. It was sold as a "narrow" optic, but it looks like medium to me. I actually compared the narrow and wide version El Capitans side by side and the beam patterns were pretty similar. My El Capitan's tint is slightly warm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

vegassprky and Gnarly like this.
  6. archimedes

archimedes EDC Junkie!!!

I have quite a few of the smaller Peak torches, including many of the vintage models, as well as several current versions. The numerous available options and variations can certainly be a challenge to sort through.

Though their modularity is a strength of the brand, it can also be confusing. As questions arise, I'm glad to try to help answer, either here or by PM....

I currently EDC a Peak Eiger (Nichia 119) QTC 10180 (lug) in stainless steel :)

Kripto and Gnarly like this.
  7. olletsocmit

olletsocmit Banned

Are these 2 the same thing inside besides being AA & AAA?

When I went to order there were dif head options etc, I will try and put a pic together that lays them all out later tonight

| Sent from my iPhone 4S |

8. d.2.the.p

d.2.the.p Loaded Pockets

I have recently been introduced to Peak, and I am hooked. Seriously hooked. I currently have 2 Eigers and one El Capitan.

My go to Eiger is a black HA long key chain body for which I have two heads that I interchange depending on what I have going on - an SS mule head with a Nichia 219 if I want a solid wall of light and an SS head with narrow optics also with a Nichia 219 for more day to day use since it has more throw. I personally enjoy the long key chain bodies because it allows you to add a clip (a 4sevens Preon clip works nicely) for clipped pocket carry. I use a 10440 cell in this, and it puts out plenty of light for my needs.

I also have an SS Eiger with 10280 body with the SS mule head with a Nichia 219 that I drop in my watch pocket when I'm wearing dress jeans or slacks for a night out in DC.

My El Capitan is SS with a narrow optic and neutral white LED. I got the long keychain tube on this and picked up a Ti clip from Dark Sucks. With a 14500 cell, this thing is a beast.

I say go for it. It is well worth the price paid. These lights are top quality. The simplicity of the QTC UI is awesome, and all the options are great.

Gnarly likes this.
  9. hiljentaa

hiljentaa Loaded Pockets

I am strongly thinking about going this direction for my Peak purchase.

The only thing is I don't know what the difference is between the Nichia 219 CRI and the Cree XPG2 Cool is.

Can anyone help to explain to me? I'm not very familiar with flashlight tech.

10. olletsocmit

olletsocmit Banned

Would current owners reccomend going with the AAA light or going with the AA model instead? I am going to be carrying it in my pocket, not on keys

| Sent from my iPhone 4S |

11. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

The Nichia 219 is "high cri" (or High Color Rendering Index). Typically these lights considered more daylight in warm (orange/red/yellow) to neutral (daylight) tints. The Nichia 219 seems most common in that 4,000-4,500 color temp range or closest to true white.

Cool tints such as the XPG2 will be more efficient for output but often have a tinge of blue/green to the tint. They tend to wash out colors in the dark more and make everything seem less natural. Unless your a photographer this comes down to personal preference. Many find cool tints more unnerving which makes sense since dark dramatic films often are color corrected towards the cooler spectrum. Using a cheap flashlight with purple/blue bulbs for about 60 seconds would probably give me nausea. :p

I carry a Peak Logan (cr123) every day in my left jeans pocket and often forget it's there. An AA will be a tad thinner and a AAA will be much thinner than this light. An AA will give you far more capacity and the ability to run protected Lithium batteries if you wish. There are protected 10440's but far more rare than 14500's.

I would throw an AAA in your pocket and then an AA. The light will be a smidgen wider and a bit longer but that will give you a feeling of relative size difference. Depending on your pants and preferences the AA might be annoying. Many AAA lights can slip into the watch pocket easily.

12. archimedes

archimedes EDC Junkie!!!

The XP-G2 should have much higher max output. Although I don't have any G2 emitters, a "cool" tint will appear bluish.

The Nichia 219 (which I do have) is rather neutral (white) in tint, and is considered a "high CRI" LED. The higher the CRI rating, the better the color rendering (colors appear more "true" under that illumination).

EDIT - Blerv replied faster :)

hiljentaa, Gnarly and Blerv like this.
  13. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

Yes but you said the same thing with less fluff words. A skill I'm trying to learn. :)

Gnarly likes this.
  14. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

I've been thinking about getting one of their narrow QTC lights. Fascinating technology, and they have a good rep at CPF. Might be my next light.

Gnarly likes this.
  15. calipsoii

calipsoii Loaded Pockets

16. hiljentaa

hiljentaa Loaded Pockets

Blerv and archimedes, thank you guys for the explanations - very much appreciated!

I just realized I am an idiot. I have a G2 Preon P2/P1 right now that I like a lot - just looked up the specs and it has a Cree XPG2 Cool emitter. So that helps me to understand what that emitter looks and feels like.

That light definitely has a blueish tint to it, which I don't mind at all. (In fact, it's my favorite light in my admittedly small collection). The Nichia description does sound interesting though. It'd be kind of silly to have two somewhat similar lights with the same emitters, so it looks like I'll go with the Nichia option.

Now I just need to do some research regarding 10180 and 10280 rechargables...

Aslan, Blerv and Gnarly like this.
  17. customh

customh Loaded Pockets

I love mine! Lev 8 QTC. Nice floody beam. Preon clip works well under keychain lug.

[​IMG]

18. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

stax likes this.
  19. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

You are far from an idiot :). It's hard to keep track of all these LED's and tints even if you own them.

I would try out the Nichia. It should lean more toward the standard "neutral" tint and I think you will appreciate the comparison.

As for 10180/10280's you are pretty much limited to AW unprotected lithiums (Li-Co). It's really the only way to get a small light that isn't on button cells though :).

Gnarly and hiljentaa like this.
  20. hiljentaa

hiljentaa Loaded Pockets

Browsing Oveready.com now. They say on the 10280 battery page to avoid 'deep discharge'. In layman's terms, does that mean 'don't run it 'til it dies'?

Thanks again for your help - much appreciated.

Gnarly likes this.